Time To Close Pattaya Newa Clippings Sub-forum?

bobbin

Topic title and description sum up my feelings on this sub-forum. I was never a fan of the idea anyway. I think it grew out of one or two posters who insisted on posting every bad news story they could cull from the local rags.

It always seemed a bit masochistic to want to have a bad news forum. Only the Pattaya forum has it. Why not the other local forums? Because their moderators had no pressure to set one up.

Edited by bobbin

Absolutely No Way.

Although I am busy working in the Middle East right now, I shall be returning to Pattaya tomorrow and will be assuming control as per usual of the Pattaya News Clippings forum.

It is an essential voice, and Pattaya news, whether good or bad must be reported.

Thank you.

Absolutely No Way.

Although I am busy working in the Middle East right now, I shall be returning to Pattaya tomorrow and will be assuming control as per usual of the Pattaya News Clippings forum.

It is an essential voice, and Pattaya news, whether good or bad must be reported.

Thank you.

Libya

My question to you is why must this bad news be reported? Actually, it already has been reported, as you and Brit merely copy/paste from other online news sources. Why don't the other local forums have a sub-forum like the Pattaya News Clippings? Is Pattaya the only city in Thailand with crime and mayhem?

And also, i ask why you never "clip" positive news. Are you a "bad news junkie"?

Absolutely No Way.

Thank you.

Libya

My question to you is why must this bad news be reported? Actually, it already has been reported, as you and Brit merely copy/paste from other online news sources. Why don't the other local forums have a sub-forum like the Pattaya News Clippings? Is Pattaya the only city in Thailand with crime and mayhem?

And also, i ask why you never "clip" positive news. Are you a "bad news junkie"?

News must be reported because it is of interest to Pattaya residents. Some news stories receive hundreds of hits. Although good news stories are seldom reported, my aim is not to give a negative view of Pattaya but to help future visitors or those who live here.

For Example:

Many cases of drugging by bar girls of Pattaya visitors. This is 'bad news' but warns those who hire a girl for private pleasure in his/her hotel room.

Road traffic accidents. This is 'bad news' but believe me, I take care on the streets of Pattaya now.

Actually crime in Pattaya is low compared to other European cities. Certainly by day I feel very safe here. I am also happy with police response. Criminals are often caught by Pattaya police.

Thank you for your understanding.

Edited by libya 115

Well unfortunately good news doesnt generate much interest mate. We've posted good news when it comes up, barely looked at!!!! :o

What exactly is your point here Brit? After you have posted the "clip", good or bad, what do you care how many views it gets? Are you on some kind of revenue-sharing plan, based on eyes-on?

And why is my city the only beneficiary of news vigilantes?

Well unfortunately good news doesnt generate much interest mate. We've posted good news when it comes up, barely looked at!!!! :o

What exactly is your point here Brit? After you have posted the "clip", good or bad, what do you care how many views it gets? Are you on some kind of revenue-sharing plan, based on eyes-on?

News is News 'bobbin'; there is no need to take offence at the reporting of 'bad news' in Pattaya. Hundreds of people on this forum have responded to news items I and others have posted. Information is essential. By learning what is going on in Pattaya we can be safer and confident in our lives here.

Well unfortunately good news doesnt generate much interest mate. We've posted good news when it comes up, barely looked at!!!! :D

Because we love Patters!!! :o

News is News 'bobbin'; there is no need to take offence at the reporting of 'bad news' in Pattaya. Hundreds of people on this forum have responded to news items I and others have posted. Information is essential. By learning what is going on in Pattaya we can be safer and confident in our lives here.

Ok, news is news. But are you a news organization? You are more like a re-broadcasting tower, ensuring the "news" reaches a larger audience. Why?

You say that it makes our city safer by having more informed residents. This is a valid argument. But to quote a real news organization..."fair and balanced reporting". The is in no way an endorsement of this particular organization as I believe they are neither, but I think you get the point.

By only high-lighting negative news, you are potentially discouraging new residents who might actually change the demographics of our city. Decent people who might make their home here and squeeze out some of the "yobs" who are heavily over-represented in Pattaya.

There is also on ThaiVisa the "Thailand News Clipping" forum - covers the rest of Thailand and the world.

But Pattaya has half-a-dozen 'news' sources, both on-line and hard copy (and Sophon TV) and there is a lot of interest in the reports. Maybe only to criticise, because of the poor quality of journalism and the apparent partnerships with the local law enfiorcement authorities, but still it is interest.

Topic title and description sum up my feelings on this sub-forum. I was never a fan of the idea anyway. I think it grew out of one or two posters who insisted on posting every bad news story they could cull from the local rags.

It always seemed a bit masochistic to want to have a bad news forum. Only the Pattaya forum has it. Why not the other local forums? Because their moderators had no pressure to set one up.

I have never seen that subforum, was wondering where all the unwanted news have gone.

Has it already been removed?

One idea to have it, could be, people would drag garbage from newspapers and drop it into the main Pattaya forum and 10-15 times a day like that.

That rubbish would push down discussions and real posts and when you look into the Pattaya section all you see is junk posted by people who can not compose a coherent post themselves and need cut-paste from other sources.

Without that, only Pattaya section of TV sees more genuine action that entire other forums about whole Thailand or even Asia Pacific.

Keep it clean as it is now!

I absolutely agree to libyas statement. I also would prefer just to get good news but bad news must be reported to make people more sensitive and careful.

I see after a very brief flurry of posting by Libya and comments from Brit, immediately following my post re shutting down the (Bad News) Pattaya News Clippings sub-forum, that things have return to normal i.e. no updates and/or boring.

Libya and Brit don't want to give up their private re-broadcast tower. They made that clear.

I'm bored and offended by their "all bad news all the time" .

I want to do a poll on whether we "need" this sub-forum but have never started one. Maybe I will try to figure it out unless some of the poll-masters can guide me.

Hopefully the poll will show that most have no need of it and the moderators will respect the majority and be done with it!

I see after a very brief flurry of posting by Libya and comments from Brit, immediately following my post re shutting down the (Bad News) Pattaya News Clippings sub-forum, that things have return to normal i.e. no updates and/or boring.

Libya and Brit don't want to give up their private re-broadcast tower. They made that clear.

I want to do a poll on whether we "need" this sub-forum but have never started one. Maybe I will try to figure it out unless some of the poll-masters can guide me.

Hopefully the poll will show that most have no need of it and the moderators will respect the majority and be done with it!

Polls have been done before and the vast majority want the news, whether you think its relevant is moot. :o However if the news offends you, I suggest that you don't read it. :D

Edited by britmaveric

With all due respect 'bobbin' you are a new poster on T.V. and if you find that the Pattaya News Clippings Forum 'bores and offends' you, then I suggest that you either cease reading it or else contribute Pattaya news items of your own. You could post all good news stories if you so wish.

I do not see it as my own private broadcast tower. However I do contribute to it because I have been living in Pattaya for 6+ years and I feel that it is important to have a separate forum for news items. Otherwise they would clog up the exclusive Pattaya forum.

Naturally the moderators use their discretion when considering the pros and cons of sub-forums; but I would ask that instead of venting your spleen you develop a pro-active response rather than repining and crusading negatively.

I absolutely agree to libyas statement. I also would prefer just to get good news but bad news must be reported to make people more sensitive and careful.

i second that demand. a day without knowing what nationality of farang has jumped from what floor is a lost day in our lives.

The Pattaya Forum is the largest of the regional forums on ThaiVisa (most subjects, views etc).

It is also one of the most searched for sources of information on search engines such as Google.

Admin has decided to create a sub-forum specifically for news items for Pattaya, in order to keep them separate from the more general threads.

Good news... bad news... it doesn't matter. There is not a lot of choice or quality or "fair and balanced" English speaking news sources for Pattaya... but whatever is available is of interest to those members that live here or holiday here. Many of us read the wording of these bulletins but interpret them as something else... as you learn to do in Thailand.

Until such time that Forum Admin decide to close the Pattaya News Clippings sub-forum, it will remain operational as is.

It is not up to disgruntled members (or moderators for that fact) to make that kind of decision.

Admin has decided to create a sub-forum specifically for news items for Pattaya, in order to keep them separate from the more general threads.

And that was a good idea. I have never noticed that subforum existed, that's how much I care about second hand news.

I am just happy the cut-paste sewage does not spill into the "main" Pattaya forum.

Edited by think_too_mut

Ok I can live with the sub-forum. I won't read it.

However, after my last post I belatedly realized that if this sub-forum were closed, there would be nothing to stop Libya and Brit posting in the general Pattaya forum. And that would probably earn me few friends!

Actually, I think the Admin. set it up as a private sand-box for these two to play in after seeing all the other negative responses when they were posting in the general forum. Yes, I remember those posts as I have been living in Pattaya for 5 years now Libya. No newcomer me. :D

Here is a suggestion tho. Try setting this up in some of the other local forums and see how it is received. I know what I think the response will be. You have just worn everybody down here by refusing to stop. :o

Thanks for your suggestions bobbin.

I'm sure Admin will give them the attention they deserve.

As there is nothing further to be said on this subject, I am now closing this thread.

Thanks all for your feedback.

/Closed.