Dutch Oven?

stevewilliam

You can buy what I call a desktop oven - It's a little oven that sits on your kitchen side, with proper tempture gage and so on. I used to have one and it worked well. You can buy them in Tesco's or a department store such as Central, I think they go for about 2,000B to 4,000B

I have the same question. I baked a wonderful batch of brownies once on my weber charcoal cooker. Burned off all the grease, whipped up the mix and used a standard oven thermometer to check the temp. A fine time was had by all as a result. But I wouldn't want to do a whole lot of baking that way and was wondering if a gas bar-b-que grill can be had somewhere for less than a small fortune?

I was directed to a convection cooking device that has various names including Turbo something.

It is a large glass bowl in a rack that has a electric heating element on the top with a fan and it blows circulating air in addition to the heat element. I bought mine on sale at about 4500 baht at Big C, but I am sure most "super stores" have similar. They have a handle on top that when lifted turns off the unit as a safety device.

They come with a book in English telling you how to use it for baking and broiling.

Mine came with a broiler pan with rack upon which the top heat unit and fan fit and it broils many things very quickly due to the convection principal. It is round so getting a proper pan for brownies in it requires some doing.

Convection cooking is really great as it greatly enhances the speed of baking and these units have temperature gages and timers so you just turn it on and forget about it until it pings.

On the issue of brownies, I found that the convection feature tended to cook the outside portion of the brownie pan faster than the interior and since I like very moist brownies, I ended up putting a fried egg ring in the middle of my brownie pan which took care of the uneven problem as there was no center to deal with and allowed for convection air to circulate better in the center of the pan.

The recipe book is filled with ideas for using the unit as a roaster oven, stew pot, etc. I am sure it works terrifically for roasting fowl.

I have used an Otto brand toaster oven for about three years. Got it from Big C for around two thousand B. It works great. Good for casseroles, baking most any kind of meat, and has a rotisserie that works well.

Very handy little unit, I use it a lot rather than the oven on my gas range, since it does not make your house hot.

I have the same question. I baked a wonderful batch of brownies once on my weber charcoal cooker. Burned off all the grease, whipped up the mix and used a standard oven thermometer to check the temp. A fine time was had by all as a result. But I wouldn't want to do a whole lot of baking that way and was wondering if a gas bar-b-que grill can be had somewhere for less than a small fortune?

I'm picking one up tomorrow. All stainless steel and built in Udon Thani. It's gas fired and the lid is double walled so it makes a pretty good oven. A thermometer through the lid is optional. Cooking area is 12 by 20 inches and it is a double burner. Not cheap at 16,450 baht but about half the price of an import that probably isn't near as good. It's recommended that you you change the lava rock if you want to use it as an oven and change back when you use it as a barbecue.

Google Quick-Fire barbecue Udon Thani and it will come up. He also has cheaper or larger choices. I think the one made from regular steel is about 10,000 baht but does not have a double walled lid.

Google Quick-Fire barbecue Udon Thani and it will come up. He also has cheaper or larger choices. I think the one made from regular steel is about 10,000 baht but does not have a double walled lid.

Hi Gary. I'm interested in the unit but trying several combinations of the above on Google, can't seem to locate it. Do you have a link, thanks?

Hi Gary. I'm interested in the unit but trying several combinations of the above on Google, can't seem to locate it. Do you have a link, thanks?

http://www.gasbbqthailand.com/index.php