Purfect Solution To Stray Dog And Cat Problem?

Aujuba

Westerners usually are critical of eating cat or dog meat but in Australia it seems to be okay nowdays. Couldn't Thailand eat its way out of the stray cat and dog problem? Offering finer feline cooking might even attract a few more Aussie tourists. Any thoughts? Anyone ever tried cat food? Come on there must be a few Aussies here who have sampled it.

"Australians cook up wild cat stew" -BBC story

Cat stew for you.

"Australians have come up with a novel solution to the millions of feral cats roaming the outback - eat them.

The felines are the descendants of domestic pets and kill millions of small native animals each year.

A recent Alice Springs contest featured wild cat casserole. The meat is said to taste like a cross between rabbit and, perhaps inevitably, chicken.

But wildlife campaigners have expressed their dismay that Australia's wild cat now finds itself on the nation's menus.

Cat stew recipe

Feral cats are one of the most serious threats to Australia's native fauna.

One of the competition judges found the meat impossibly tough and had to politely excuse herself and spit it out

They eat almost anything that moves, including small marsupials, lizards, birds and spiders.

The woman behind the controversial cat stew recipe has said Australians could do their bit to help the environment by tucking into more feral pests, including pigeons and camels.

But it was a recipe for feline casserole that impressed some of the judges at an outback food competition in Alice Springs.

Preparing this unusual stew seems simple enough.

The meat should be diced and fried until it is brown. Then lemon grass is to be added along with salt and pepper and three cups of quandong, which is a sweet desert fruit.

It is recommended that the dish be left to simmer for five hours before being garnished with bush plums and mistletoe berries.

Marinated moggie was not to everyone's taste. One of the competition judges found the meat impossibly tough and had to politely excuse herself and spit it out in a backroom.

Wild cats are considered good eating by some Aborigines, who roast the animals on an open fire.

This outback cuisine does come with a health warning.

Scientists have said that those eating wild cats could be exposed to harmful bacteria and toxins."

Edited by Aujuba

[snip]

Well??? I have no problem eating any animal humanely killed and well reared, sadly soi dogs erm have you seen the state of them ??????????????????????? Still think they'd be better off rounding them all up and disposing of them ie killing humanely. they would certainly improve Thailands image.

Can never understand why we dont eat more "unusual" meat types.

Too funny and an excellent post!

People in western cultures seem to be reluctant to eat creatures that they tend to keep as pets and therefore become emotionally attached to, ones they fear, or those they find disgusting. Cats, dogs, horses, and flip-flop, bears, sharks, snakes, insects, etc..

Having traveled extensively, I have eaten just about everything imaginable and have found some of the more objectionable ones by western tastes to be the most palatable. Cat is okay but not my first choice (Afghanistan). Dog is a favorite in many cultures and even in Hawaii they say that black dogs are the most flavorful. On a long bus journey thru Morocco my seatmate came back onboard at a brief stop with the hind leg of some animal. Offering me bites, which I took, I used animal sounds to ask him what kind of animal this was. Baa? Nope. Moo? Nope (fat dripping from his chin). "Woof, woof", he says...

We often make little sense in our food choices. Hindu Indians will lie on the ground starving to death next to a 'sacred' cow and as 'sacred' rats eat their flesh, the Japanese eat extremely poisonous fish that will kill them if the chef makes the slightest mistake with his fillet knife, lost hikers starve to death all over the world when nutritious insects abound.

Oops, excuse me for running off - the lizard in my microwave is about done...

For anybody who would like to try this himself, a word of warning: the innards of carnivores, especially the liver, can contain dangerously high levels of Vitamin A, as a number of polar expeditions found out to their detriment after eating their sled dogs.

And I would imagine cat meat to be hard as rubber soles (maybe to soften it up, roll it into Papaya leaves, the Papain contained should make it chewable: a suggestion from a thread on here on TV about softening steaks, so would that work?).

Dustoff: how is the actual taste of cat and what would make it not your first choice besides the drawbacks mentioned?

Though some of our food taboos are culturally specific, there are - as noted above - good reasons for not eating animals you have little knowledge about.

What are the healthier meats & veggies available in Thailand ? I do try to buy the organically grown veggies, though they cannot be immune to pollutants, and just try to eat meat in small quantity, and vary the type as much as possible.

Edited by WaiWai

Being of an older generation I have to admit that during and after the second world war I have eaten cat.

It was delicious. Much like wild rabbit.

Have never ever eaten dog though, and I don't want to try it.

cheers

onzestan

Edited by onzestan

cheers

onzestan

Are you sure? :D

Yes, I am, have eaten rats (chinese restaurant) but never been to Korea. :o

Plus the fact that there are so many different breeds of dogs it's hard to establish which are the more tasty. :D

cheers

onzestan

cheers

onzestan

Are you sure? :D

Plus the fact that there are so many different breeds of dogs it's hard to establish which are the more tasty. :D

cheers

onzestan

for chinese cuisine pick the stir fried chow chow.

for german sausages try the dachshund on roll with sauerkraut.

for a taste of britain the yorkie pudding can't be beat.

Dustoff: how is the actual taste of cat and what would make it not your first choice besides the drawbacks mentioned?

Hoo boy, I am struggling to avoid going into detail about the difference in taste between pussycats lest I be banned from these forums forever (remember the old joke, "What is the difference between a duck?" "One of it's legs are both the same?)

It is all a matter of taste, isn't it? (laughing, drooling). As much as I try to stick to a vegerarian diet, I lust after horsemeat, pigmeat, human female meat (avoiding of course intestinal matter/excretions) and my favorite seefood, bearded clams..

We all eat what we like and/or are accustomed to and change is sometimes difficult, especially if it smells like old fish..

Meat is meat and it really doesn't make any difference on the dinner table unless we have some emotional attachment to or against it.

It's rather a stupid post.

Tokyo Metropolitan Government oversees the area inhabited by 35 million people.

Not one stray dog to be seen. And they don't eat them.

You are possibly right about Tokyo.. but..

I spent a considerable amount of time in Nepal and in Kathmandu the 'Metropolitan Government' regularly sent trucks throughout the city to clean up the 'stray dog problem'.

Interestingly enough, the very next day all of the tourist and local restaurants had new and expanded menus listing a wide rage of beef dishes - in a country that is not exactly 'cattle country'...

We are what we buy into...

Edited by Dustoff

If it's all the same to you, why not human flesh :D ?

Sorry WaiWai. I am heterosexual.

Not sure how the logic works there :o ?

My apologies, WaiWai. Sometimes when I attempt humor I forget that English is not everyone's first language.

As to natural, unadulterated vegetables, da wife and I shop at the King's produce shops such as the one in the CM airport terminal.. No toxic sprays.. And just down the road back and almost to Airport Plaza is the Garden Restaurant that is into hydroponics and has a wide variety of clean and wholesome vegies..

Enjoy...

It's rather a stupid post.

Tokyo Metropolitan Government oversees the area inhabited by 35 million people.

Not one stray dog to be seen. And they don't eat them.

You are possibly right about Tokyo.. but..

But what?

A civilized place has no stray dogs.

Period.

Do you really always know what you are eating in Thailand?

How many three legged dogs have you seen hobbling down the sois? What happens to the fourth leg? My friend always says he going to get a "dogs leg on stick" when buying BBQ pork or chicken at the vendors.

Same Recipe for Cockatoo?

Boil cocky with axhead

When axhead is tender

Discard cocky

Eat Axehead

Old Aussie proverb

:o

Can I suggest combining this thread with the several recent ones regarding the innappropriate behaviour of many old falangs in LOS, add in a dash of Soylent green and we have the perfect answer. Falangburger. Add a dash of contraceptive and market the product as a petfood and surely enough Thailand will cease to be overrun with those three perennial pests, cats, dogs and old Falangs.

cheers

you are joking, right?

I was trying to be funny :D :D :D:bah: :bah:

Sorry if I offended you

No malice intended

onzestan