Ubc Rip-off

globe

Ubiquitous UBC.

I have had their "service" Silver whatever that means for almost 3 1/2 years now. I rarely watch TV but do check with CNN or BBC on occasion. The rest is just for the neighborhood kids, cartoons etc.

To pay for their "service" I need to drive to their office in Takuapa a 75 km round trip.

On the 3rd of August I paid my 1,558.49 Baht, albeit reluctantly, because of what I deem to be a total rip-off. 4 or 5 movie channels show motion pictures whose actors have been dead long enough to qualify for resurrection. 95% are films I have seen 50 or more years ago.

OK, the discovery channel will on occasion have something worthwhile, but even this miserly tidbit will be shown for the rest of the month.

Today is Monday the 3rd of September. One of the little kids came in this morning to watch his favorite cartoon; and "Nothing", just the basic stuff for free, and all in Thai.

After dialing a dozen numbers I finally managed to speak with an English speaking representative, who informed me: "You no pay bill, we disconnect".

"Hold on lady. I have the bill here which I paid on the 3rd of August. Today is the 3rd of September." "Yes you should have paid before". "Yesterday was Sunday was your office open?" "No but before, because the computer will disconnect at midnight.

In the 4 years I have lived here, I have been screwed, blued and tattooed out of almost 4 million baht, but this one takes the cake.

Never a dull moment in the LOS (look out suckers)

Good to see that I'm not the only one. Like the OP, I too paid my bill on the third and was cut off on the evening of the fourth. Calling on a Saturday night was useless..."You can fax to me you bill." My b/f also spoke with them Saturday night as well. It seems that new rules have been put into place, without notification to its customers (I can't recall what these are at the moment). I was able to get everything situated Sunday morning by scanning and E-mailing the paid bill to them. UBC is starting to suck big-time with very limited newer movies, cutbacks in sport programming, censored movies (MOVH channel), etc.

Given that they are now Truevision, and owned in part by True, it's no wonder, since True as a mobile phone operator is one of the worst out there and both Truevision and True have some very lousy customer assistance these days.

Pay a year up front and get one month free.

You can pay at many local places (7/11 & post office) so the OP is stupid to drive 75 km. BUT you have to pay by the due date, usually the 25th of the due month.

I've never had a problem over 4 years with our 4 accounts with UBC (now True). All you have to do is pay on time.

Other TV members be aware that member globe is member Aviador reincarnated, and a well know moaner with very (very) long winded rants on the Phuket forum. His posts should be considered with lots of caution.

OK, if everyone is so unhappy with TRUE and for sure I am, is there a viable alternative out there somewhere?

Yes - its DVDs, restaurants, books, travel, bowling, cinema, swimming, golf, horse-riding and all that stuff. :o

After dialing a dozen numbers I finally managed to speak with an English speaking representative, who informed me: "You no pay bill, we disconnect".

"Hold on lady. I have the bill here which I paid on the 3rd of August. Today is the 3rd of September." "Yes you should have paid before". "Yesterday was Sunday was your office open?" "No but before, because the computer will disconnect at midnight.

In the 4 years I have lived here, I have been screwed, blued and tattooed out of almost 4 million baht, but this one takes the cake.

... and this would only happen in LOS?

Oh dear no wonder the baht go flying out the window. Thank good you never had Sky, Dish, Foxtel or the millions of others who cut it OFF a before it a day before it is due!

... and this would only happen in LOS?

Oh dear no wonder the baht go flying out the window. Thank good you never had Sky, Dish, Foxtel or the millions of others who cut it OFF a before it a day before it is due!

Now in real tinglish

Oh dear, no wonder the baht are flying out the window. Thank god you never had Sky, Dish, Foxtel or the millions of other cable operators, who would have cut you OFF, one day before the subscription is due to expire.