Double-pricing At Hotels

Neeranam

The Rez Hotel opposite the mouth of Suk soi 49.

I went there to book a couple of rooms a couple of months ago as my Scottish Mum and Dad were visiting, as was my Thai Mum-in-law.

I couldn't believe what the guy told me. I wanted this hotel as my Bangkok apt is on soi 49. The price is 1000B, fair enough, but my mother-in-law stayed there before for 500B! I asked to see the manager, who knows I lived opposite for a couple of years, and he said he would give me a room for my parents for a discounted 800baht, and 500 for my MIL. I told the guy where to go. <deleted> to that. I asked the guy why, and he said with a stupid smile,"because farang are rich". I had a friend stay there once and I asked him about the cable. There wasn't any, or 2 channels or something. They had a huge banner outside advertising their UBC.

On looking around the hotel, I noticed that the rooms were pretty much empty.

He kept saying how the hotel used to be one of the best in Bangkok. true but nearer 20 years ago.

Hey, I once lost 500 bath betting that their coffee shop was named Rex while it's actually Rexa Coffee Shop (go figure...)

Do I approve of the practice? Well, heck NO! but once I've agreed to a price I can't really complain if other people (thais or falungs) pay less...

/// dfw

Sorry to hear that Neeranam. So, no principles whatsoever :o

Actually a few weeks ago, I just, erm, saw a caucasian guy checking in late at night and he was charged about 600-700 THB (I don't recall).

• Like 1

Ahhh.. now I got it! Thanks pete® :D

Damm, that wasn't nice of him to assume that. I was just walking past, for God's sake. :D

As shown in your avatar? No wonder that the receptionist got puzzled :D

Darn, once in the chat room you mentioned you are not into silicon valley but now that new image. Changed your mind or does this account for silicon mountains :o

• Like 1

Nothing new here (as much as it pisses everyone off)

Amari Airport Hotel charges Thais (flying on Thai) about 50% of what they charge non-Thais.

Could the forum post a listing of all hotels that practise this discrimination.

Then all members (and visitors to the forum) can boycot these establishments.

They will never change their double pricing policies until they get the message that people are passing them by.

• Like 1

At the Royal Hotel, located at Sanam Luang, to the list. I called them up to ask the rate, speaking in my best Thai, and was given a good one. When I arrived to check in, they would not honor the quote when they saw my face. It was a boost to my ego to have been taken for a Thai on the phone, but otherwise an insult.