Upgrade On Thaiair Redemption Tickets Granted ?

THAILIBAN

I have to make use of my miles with THAI before they expire, so my next flight to Europe will be on a redemption ticket.

Does anyone know about THAI's policy ? are they upgrading u to business on one leg sometimes ? I know that other airlines often do so on longhaul-flights, but I have no information how THAI handles that.

would be nice if people who were flying to Europe with THAIAIR on a redemption ticket in the recent past, could share their experiences and knowledge....

if you have the points, you can easily upgrade a leg of your trip from economy to business. I have just done that myself.

In my experience it has been rare for me to be upgraded on an economy redemption ticket. You buy economy, you get economy. I've even flown in business with about 3 other people while the back of the plane was full to overflowing.

I have been flying Thai airlines for the past 5 yrs, sometimes two trips a year to the US. I've accumulated miles and always used them for upgrades from economy to business class. I've never rec'd any freebie upgrades, and I have asked several times.

I've also waited till I checked in for the flight and asked, but ended up paying cash for the upgrade.

Don't think they'll give - let us know if you get anything.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I started flying with Thai Airways 12 years ago, about 3 times a year from Europe.Though other airlines were sometimes cheeper I always choose them because of the very high level of service and security.

But this august I had a quite disappointing experience with them starting from a Phuket-Bangkok flight where, during a very strong turbulence before landing, I lost my eyeglasses. I realize it a short time after my arrival at Suvannabhumi, went straight to the Thai desks and speak to an employee that ask me to wait until they finished to clean the aircraft but after 1 hour they told me they didn't find anything and I gave them also the seat number.Ok, no problem, I could not see much but I had my flight to Rome a couple of hours after so I didn't care. The surprise were not finished yet: waiting to board the flight I noticed that the boarding gate personnel was upgrading people in a totally random way to business and first class, without any kind of regards towards passengers like me that are Thai frequent flyer and have their card.Two people in line before me and my husband were upgraded to first class and when I ask them they told me that was their first flight with Thai ever!!! I was highly disappointed but people who paid for business class because were told the economy was full were furious!!!

A total madness and not a good marketing for the airline, I am wondering to make some changes and fly with someone else. :o