Best Ribs In Pattaya?

piker

Went to the Great American Rib Company tonight on a fact finding mission. This thread got me in the mood.

I ordered 1/2 rack of ribs (295bt) which came with a choice of any 2 sides: bbq beans, baked potato, cole slaw, potato salad, curly fries, corn bread, garlic bread, and corn on the cob. The full rack (16 ribs) would be 485bt.

If you're really hungry or simply a pig, try the "Great American BBQ Feast" (1095bt):

Full rack, mound of pulled pork, whole chicken, pepper coated pastramied pork tenderloin and this all comes with ALL the sides mentioned above.

All prices subject to 10% service + 7% VAT.

I felt there was nothing special about the rib sauce which is what really makes or breaks a rib or wing meal. The meat was tough and dry. It did not fall off the bone.

I have recently dined on BBQ Bob's ribs were much easier to chew and came right off the bone. Unfortunately, there was very little sauce on his ribs.

There were no other customers tonight. I also didn't like the pic nic table benches as I enjoy reclining on the back of a chair at least. I know the all American pic nik feast image they're trying to convey with the plaid tablecloths and all but for that price, I want a more comfortable atmosphere.

I also really enjoy Thai/Issan food so maybe I'd rather stick with what I'm spoiled by than shell out for ribs again.

Went to the Great American Rib Company tonight on a fact finding mission. This thread got me in the mood.

I ordered 1/2 rack of ribs (295bt) which came with a choice of any 2 sides: bbq beans, baked potato, cole slaw, potato salad, curly fries, corn bread, garlic bread, and corn on the cob. The full rack (16 ribs) would be 485bt.

If you're really hungry or simply a pig, try the "Great American BBQ Feast" (1095bt):

Full rack, mound of pulled pork, whole chicken, pepper coated pastramied pork tenderloin and this all comes with ALL the sides mentioned above.

All prices subject to 10% service + 7% VAT.

I felt there was nothing special about the rib sauce which is what really makes or breaks a rib or wing meal. The meat was tough and dry. It did not fall off the bone.

I have recently dined on BBQ Bob's ribs were much easier to chew and came right off the bone. Unfortunately, there was very little sauce on his ribs.

There were no other customers tonight. I also didn't like the pic nic table benches as I enjoy reclining on the back of a chair at least. I know the all American pic nik feast image they're trying to convey with the plaid tablecloths and all but for that price, I want a more comfortable atmosphere.

I also really enjoy Thai/Issan food so maybe I'd rather stick with what I'm spoiled by than shell out for ribs again.

Back in the Great Nation of Texas we do not focus on ribs, but do eat them. Normally, you do not want the ribs to fall off the bone as that means they have been overcooked........and you do not want them tough as that means they are undercooked. It is not so easy to get them just right.

As far as sauce is concerned, many BBQ cooks do not put a sugar-based-tomato sauce on them while they are being cooked because they get "burned." They are mopped with a substance that does not contain sugar and only during the last part of the cooking process is the sauce added. Usually, if you want more sauce you just ask for it....no problem.

Abut chairs.........BBQ is not meant to be eaten like French food in a fancy setting. One of the best places in Texas forces people to sit in school chairs.....really, I think they want people to order the food and take it out.

I will not say what I think of the Great American Rib or Bob's BBQ, but I will say that I am still looking for a BBQ place like we have back in Texas.

Some sad news.......just saw on another thread that Bob's BBQ has gone out of business.........not sure if it is temporary or not. Maybe it is temporary and he will come back with the best hamburger place in the area.

The big problem with smoked BBQ in Thailand is the high cost of beef brisket.......and it fluctuates too much as well. It makes it very hard to make the real thing. So pork products are served instead.........pulled pork and ribs. Some places do serve smoked beef, but it is way too expensive and the portions are too small.

Eventually Thailand will greatly improve its fledgling beef industry.....and that will make it much easier to make authentic smoked BBQ.

Well Howdy JR,

Famous Bar B Q place with school chairs, sounds like Red Bryant's in Dallas.

Always had a slight preference for Sonny Bryant's. I have tried Great American, Bob's, and several other places and like you I am still looking for the rib joint to park myself in. To my taste Bob's were good enough to remind me of ribs I have known, and that is good for something. There have been some ribs here to crow about. Try and make it to a Thaivisa sponsored pissup, where you might find Buckwheat"s premium porcine pieces of perfection. As to smoked brisket, I have been known to whimper in my sleep about Sonny Bryant's sandwiches (and my own). I plan to set up a smoker when I can and focus on brisket.

kdf + she who runs with scissors

Well Howdy JR,

Famous Bar B Q place with school chairs, sounds like Red Bryant's in Dallas.

Always had a slight preference for Sonny Bryant's. I have tried Great American, Bob's, and several other places and like you I am still looking for the rib joint to park myself in. To my taste Bob's were good enough to remind me of ribs I have known, and that is good for something. There have been some ribs here to crow about. Try and make it to a Thaivisa sponsored pissup, where you might find Buckwheat"s premium porcine pieces of perfection. As to smoked brisket, I have been known to whimper in my sleep about Sonny Bryant's sandwiches (and my own). I plan to set up a smoker when I can and focus on brisket.

kdf + she who runs with scissors

Howdy KDF.......actually, the place I was talking about is Sonny Bryans.......here is the charming French restaurant-like fancy interior of one of his places (now he has some fancier spots). For those who want to see good smoked BBQ, feel free go Google "Sonny Bryans"

post-36006-1189308196_thumb.jpg

Howdy again JR,

Your pic looks like what Red Bryans (Bryant's, I could not remember) place used to look like. The legend I was familiar with was that Red, Sonny's Dad, had the place in your pic and Sonny opened his somewhat more upmarket place with a slight sauce change. Since that was a few decades back, Red's could now be Sonny's or my head sponge may have just soaked up too many bourbons and long necks.

kdf

Howdy again JR,

Your pic looks like what Red Bryans (Bryant's, I could not remember) place used to look like. The legend I was familiar with was that Red, Sonny's Dad, had the place in your pic and Sonny opened his somewhat more upmarket place with a slight sauce change. Since that was a few decades back, Red's could now be Sonny's or my head sponge may have just soaked up too many bourbons and long necks.

kdf

I think the one I posted is from "Red's" place downtown. I could not find an interior post of "Sonny's" but here is the exterior:

post-36006-1189309760_thumb.jpg

This is the place I ate at frequently. Anyway, this has got to be boring as shit for most of the people reading this....but it does illustrate that smoked BBQ is usually not sold in a fancy place.

I don't know about you, but I am really craving real smoked BBQ and authentic Tex-Mex like that found at El Fenix and Joe T. Garcias.

The problem with any food critiques is that there is no right and wrong. Individual tastes are just that. I was born and raised in Boston. I've had seafood in Louisiana, San Francisco, and, of course, here in Thailand. I love seafood. It's all good to me. But I will personally always consider Boston-style seafood the best.

So it is with BBQ. There are different styles in different parts of the country. The American co-owner (with a Thai man) of Great American Rib is from So Cal, where I spent most of the second 30 years of my life (with 4 years in the middle spent in Indiana & Chicago). The menu is very much in line with the So Cal "version" of Tex-Mex BBQ. I love it. I love the ribs, both the pork and the beef short ribs. I love the BBQ chicken. I do agree that the BBQ sauce could use more spice; but that is totally a matter of taste.) I love the gulf shrimp. I love the chicken quesadillas that I always get as an appetizer (despite the fact that they have nowhere near the amount of cheese you'd get in So Cal quesadillas). And I love the cheeseburgers I drop in for at lunch now and then. (Cheeseburgers are always lunch food for me.)

I've had ribs in Texas. They are fantastic! If I were to select the best ribs in the world that I've ever had, they'd be in Texas. But, for here in Thailand, I consider the entire menu at Great American Rib to be an oasis for Americans looking for a little taste of home.

Oh, and I totally agree with you Texas guys about the "seating". It's perfect for the menu.

I enjoy the American jazz they play on their music system, although it is a little "off theme". Country would be more appropriate. :-)

I am a little upset with a deception being perpetrated by the management which I recently discovered. That 10% "service charge" is split - 8% to the management; and only 2% to the actual service staff. That sucks! I'm sure that lots of folks either reduce any tip to the staff, or eliminate it altogether, because they assume that the "service charge" is all for the service staff, as it should be. If management wants a higher profit margin, let them increase the prices, and reduce the service charge to an amount that will be given, in its entirety, to the service staff! I'll pay the price. But don't lie to me!!

The problem with any food critiques is that there is no right and wrong. Individual tastes are just that. I was born and raised in Boston. I've had seafood in Louisiana, San Francisco, and, of course, here in Thailand. I love seafood. It's all good to me. But I will personally always consider Boston-style seafood the best.

So it is with BBQ. There are different styles in different parts of the country. The American co-owner (with a Thai man) of Great American Rib is from So Cal, where I spent most of the second 30 years of my life (with 4 years in the middle spent in Indiana & Chicago). The menu is very much in line with the So Cal "version" of Tex-Mex BBQ. I love it. I love the ribs, both the pork and the beef short ribs. I love the BBQ chicken. I do agree that the BBQ sauce could use more spice; but that is totally a matter of taste.) I love the gulf shrimp. I love the chicken quesadillas that I always get as an appetizer (despite the fact that they have nowhere near the amount of cheese you'd get in So Cal quesadillas). And I love the cheeseburgers I drop in for at lunch now and then. (Cheeseburgers are always lunch food for me.)

I've had ribs in Texas. They are fantastic! If I were to select the best ribs in the world that I've ever had, they'd be in Texas. But, for here in Thailand, I consider the entire menu at Great American Rib to be an oasis for Americans looking for a little taste of home.

Oh, and I totally agree with you Texas guys about the "seating". It's perfect for the menu.

I enjoy the American jazz they play on their music system, although it is a little "off theme". Country would be more appropriate. :-)

I am a little upset with a deception being perpetrated by the management which I recently discovered. That 10% "service charge" is split - 8% to the management; and only 2% to the actual service staff. That sucks! I'm sure that lots of folks either reduce any tip to the staff, or eliminate it altogether, because they assume that the "service charge" is all for the service staff, as it should be. If management wants a higher profit margin, let them increase the prices, and reduce the service charge to an amount that will be given, in its entirety, to the service staff! I'll pay the price. But don't lie to me!!

I really agree with you on service charges.

I hate enforced service charges. I even had one place attempt to charge me a service charge on a corkage fee. I will pay for my food and pay the service staff for their service based on how good it is.

If enforced service fees, taxes?, were not so common, I would only frequent places that allow me to determine my tip.

kdf

Now i know about the service charge not getting to the workers I will stop going until they make it fair. i have not been adding anything extra since i assumed it was being fair. Shame on a fellow american. charge more and let us do the tipping or not.

Not so fast, Jimmy. It would be more effective if you, and everybody else who shares our feeling about this, went back at least once, and spoke to the manager (Oi) about the service charge issue. I did so the last time I went, and asked him (this ISN'T his decision) to pass my feelings along to the owners.

I plan to go back within the next week or so to follow up. I'd like to know if he did pass it on, and, if so, what the reaction was from the owners.

Anybody want to meet up for a lunch on Tuesday, and "gang up on him" with this issue?

I am a little upset with a deception being perpetrated by the management which I recently discovered. That 10% "service charge" is split - 8% to the management; and only 2% to the actual service staff.

Interesting. It is a really bad deception if it is true. No wonder they have trouble keeping staff. Lets help change this practice. Owners of the rib company: why don't you post here and announce you are changing this policy? If not: why don't we all boycott your restaurant?

Edited by Jingthing

Have any of you "good ole' boys" from Texas ever heard of Lowake Steak House outside San Angelo? Sawdust on the floor, bench style sitting and tables and absolutely the best steaks and ribs I ever had.

They even have an air strip and people fly in from all over the US for meals.

It sure ain't French style.

Now i know about the service charge not getting to the workers I will stop going until they make it fair. i have not been adding anything extra since i assumed it was being fair. Shame on a fellow american. charge more and let us do the tipping or not.

This is a rip-off that is spreading to farang restaurants all over Thailand and it really gets my goat. The Thais are paid sh*t and then some rich pig with a huge pension - who wants to make even more money - steals their tips.

I've been told that it is actually illegal for restaurants to add tax and service directly on the bill, and it bloody well should be! :o

I think we should fight this by leaving no or a very small tip when there is a 10 percent charge on the bill. Yes, it does hurt the workers, but if every customer did this, they wouldn't be able to keep workers, and it would hurt the owners. For owners who are really not stealing the 10 percent, perhaps they should post a large sign stating that fact. BTW, if management is talking that money, it is stealing, and I wish it was illegal.

Edited by Jingthing

Have any of you "good ole' boys" from Texas ever heard of Lowake Steak House outside San Angelo? Sawdust on the floor, bench style sitting and tables and absolutely the best steaks and ribs I ever had.

A good friend of mine was an overactive private pilot and we found several EXCELLENT casual plus restaurants near private air strips. Been to a few that fit your description but time and bourbon has erased the specifics. Ahh, the wife says it isn't the time, but the mileage.

kdf

At the Jester's Fair yesterday was a stall selling ribs. You got 4-5 long ribs and the meat came off the bone easily. The Stall Holder was Rich Man Poor Man Guesthouse, Soi 9, Jomtien Beach Road.

Soi 9 is about 1 Km down the Beach Road. There is a 7-11 and a Family Mart on the corner. Hang on -- they are on EVERY CORNER in Pattaya. It is the Soi where the Jomtien back road come out onto the beach Road.

He said he does the ribs at the weekend. I THINK he said Thurs to Sunday, but check it out first. I picked up their card, but cannot post the number as against forum rules.

ANOTHER REVIEW: Had the ribs in Bobs at Carrefour a couple of weeks ago. Small and dry. Not impressed. Also had the Tacos, which were COLD. All was eaten as finger food, as the foodhall does not have knives to cut up your food and the cheap bendy spoons did not do the job.

Coincidentally I went to Tequila Reef on Soi 7 last night. I had half a rack, the meat which was delicious, came clean away from the bone when I bit into it and the flavour was excellent. I am a really fussy eater and hardly ever finish a course of whatever, but last night I cleared the plate and was sorry I'd finished. 300 Bt I think (maybe a little under), including veg.

A good friend of mine was an overactive private pilot and we found several EXCELLENT casual plus restaurants near private air strips. Been to a few that fit your description but time and bourbon has erased the specifics. Ahh, the wife says it isn't the time, but the mileage.

kdf

Never heard of Lowake Steak House.......been to San Angelo (nice river......almost got bit by a rattelsnake up in the hills.....think I broke a speed record coming down from that hill).

The sawdust thing........I have seen it in a few smoked BBQ places in Texas. You also see it in some country western dance places. For me, it is a bit too much in a restaurant and can attract too many critters. But it does smell good.

The rib company was good when it first opened,  but now the food is crap for the cost.

He must have pissed all the staff off,   as they always need staff.

Happy hour was good for a few Margaritas and some ribs, but that stoped.

i give it a miss now.

Food at Mattahari's is a lot better.

Have a nice day