Going For A Haircut

taxexile

a new ซอย will cut up (chop) a piece of land into 2 pieces. ?????

Actually, there seems to be at least one more usage which I see in both the Matichon Dictionary and Lexitron:

ซอยเท้า [V] tap with the feet; take short steps [Domnern-Satienpong: to mark time]

Def. ก้าวเท้าถี่ๆ , ยกเท้าขึ้นลงถี่ๆ อยู่กับที่.

[to march in place]

Sample:นักกีฬาซอยเท้าอยู่ในแถวเพื่อเตรียมตัวเข้าไปในสนาม

"The athletes stood in line 'marching in place' while they prepared to enter the stadium."

This interesting usage looks like it comes from the meaning, "to chop or mince."

I should have first looked at the Royal Institute Dictionary. The definitions there clear up the question regarding the word ซอย. Here is the primary definition in the RID:

"ซอย ก. ทำถี่ๆ เช่น ซอยเท้า, สับถ่ๆ เช่น ซอยมะม่วง, หั่นถีๆ เช่น ซอยหอม; ผ่าหรือตัดให้เป็นส่วนเล็กๆ"

"[v] to do something frequently, such as, to 'take short steps, march in place'; to slice frequently, such as, 'to slice a mango'; to chop frequently, such as 'to dice an onion'; to cut into little pieces."

Since the primary meaning is "to cut, chop, or slice" into small pieces, Taxexile's explanation is the correct one. Street sois cut up piece of land into blocks; and the snipping action of the barber's scissors is a variation of cut, chop and slice.

And, here is the full version from the on-line RI dictionary:

ซอย ก. ทําถี่ ๆ เช่น ซอยเท้า, สับถี่ ๆ เช่น ซอยมะม่วง, หั่นถี่ ๆ เช่น ซอยหอม; ผ่าหรือตัดให้เป็นส่วนเล็ก ๆ เช่น ซอยไม้ระแนง. ว. เรียกทางย่อยหรือทางแยกจากทางใหญ่ เช่น ถนนซอย คลองซอย. น. ถนนหรือทางย่อยที่แยกจากทางใหญ่ เช่น ซอยลาดพร้าว ๑; ลักษณนามเรียกถนนหรือทางที่แยกจากถนนใหญ่ เช่น ถนนสายนี้มีหลายซอย.

I went for a hair cut yesterday.

I have been here a few times in the past... I walked in and said

จำผมได้ไหมครับ

To which i then smiled about.

Did this mean -

Do you remember me

or

Do you remember my hair

555+

BTW, i'm not being serious!!

i seem to have great difficulty making myself understood when going for a haircut , and end up with terrible haircuts.

and being intolerably vain and blessed with a full head of hair i do value a good haircut.

so could somebody please post relevant colloquial phrases to use when going for a haircut.

"... end up with terrible haircuts" - i know that.

words will not help, also pictures will not help.

okay, your active vocabulary will become more bigger. but your definition of 'not too short' or just a 'good haircut' will be different from the hair-dressers one. the crux of the matter.

you have to search and try different shops and hair-dressers until you found the one, your personal one. speaking thai alone will not improve your end up with terrible haircuts situation.

i seem to have great difficulty making myself understood when going for a haircut , and end up with terrible haircuts.

and being intolerably vain and blessed with a full head of hair i do value a good haircut.

so could somebody please post relevant colloquial phrases to use when going for a haircut.

"... end up with terrible haircuts" - i know that.

words will not help, also pictures will not help.

okay, your active vocabulary will become more bigger. but your definition of 'not too short' or just a 'good haircut' will be different from the hair-dressers one. the crux of the matter.

you have to search and try different shops and hair-dressers until you found the one, your personal one. speaking thai alone will not improve your end up with terrible haircuts situation.

Too right, permanent_disorder. One will surely confront that same situation in every country, culture and language.

BTW: I'm guessing that your screen name doesn't allude to your own haircut :o

If you guys just go in and ask for a number 1, 2, 3 , or 4 buzz cut, all this miscommunication will disappear and life will become much simpler. :o

Gimme a break. Even Thais don't have their hair cut this way. So barbers won't have the equipment or know what your're talking about.

• 9 months later...
painai - not for at least another week on this system, sorry.

I had to remove Asian language support due to my current work assignment, which uses a program that will not support Scandinavian and Asian languages at the same time.

If somebody else has the time to write it out in Thai that would be great.

If you can read Thai and are familiar with the sound system, the transcription should not be too hard for you to decipher with the help of the literal Thaiglish translation and these pointers:

The letters within brackets represent tone: H high, L low, M mid, F falling, R rising.

gk = unaspirated /k/ (gkaw gkai, chicken)

bp = unaspirated /p/ (bpaw bplaa, fish)

aw = aw aang as a vowel

oe = similar to German surname Schoenberg

ae = as in Maersk, the shipping company

If you could list the words you don't get, I'll try to guide you through.

If your Scandinavian characters in your Scandinavian program are not displayed correctly that's probably because the following setting is set to Thai:

Control panel - regional and language options -advanced - language for non-unicode programs

I don't see how just having your Thai keyboard layout enabled could cause problems in your Scandinavian program.

Edited by kriswillems

• 9 months later...

Just had a bad haircut so I resurrected this thread. I was given a short back and sides (ridiculously high up the sides) because I couldn't be bothered to give a lengthy explanation along the lines of "I don't want you to basically shave the sides of my head like a 12-year-old schoolboy." Instead I just sort of meekly consented to a ลองทรง which did not turn out to my liking.

Is there a short and snappy way to ask for an "anti-ลองทรง"? In the past I have resorted to

ไม่เอาลองทรง or ไม่อยากดูเหมือนเด็กมัธยม or even ไม่เอาสีขาวข้างๆ

Now having read this thread, do you think ข้างๆ แค่เล็มผมน้อย coupled with ไม่เอาลองทรง would work?

" ... Thai barbers are totally clueless about layering hair on top. But they will gladly spend 20 minutes repeatedly going round the ears until it looks like your grandad's short-back-and-sides (or Heinrich Himmler if he's REALLY keen!). "

This has been my experience also. But, I found the solution to this problem and it works!

Simply say "ปิดหู" bpit-huu-noi-khrap .... cover the ears [a little please] .. this, apparently, describes a hairstyle everyone understands, and layering is attempted.

Shears!

NG

If you guys just go in and ask for a number 1, 2, 3 , or 4 buzz cut, all this miscommunication will disappear and life will become much simpler. :)

Gimme a break. Even Thais don't have their hair cut this way. So barbers won't have the equipment or know what your're talking about.

Obviously never asked for a , rong wee ber, neung, song, sam etc, the chang tat pom has the equipment and knows exactly what you are asking for.

Try you may be surprised.

Obviously never asked for a , rong wee ber, neung, song, sam etc, the chang tat pom has the equipment and knows exactly what you are asking for.

Is this ลองหวี or ลงหวี or even something else?

Sideburns were mentioned way back in the early posts, but I didn't see the proper word, so I'll point it out: จอน or จอนหู.

I generally like short haircuts, but not military short, and I hate when they shave the sideburns halfway up the temple. I don't wear my sideburns long at all, but this is my least favorite part of Thai haircuts. So I tell them จอนหูไม่ต้องตัด or similar. Seems to get the point across.

Also, when telling them not to cut the hair too short, I've occasionally followed it up with ผมไม่่ใช่เด็กรด.นะ -- Say it with a smile and you might get a chuckle. :D

รด. is pronounced รอ-ดอ; the colloquial term for Army Reserve Force Students, abbreviated from รักษาดินแดน. The modern descendant of Thailand's WWII version of the Hitler Youth. :)

Just had a bad haircut so I resurrected this thread. I was given a short back and sides (ridiculously high up the sides) because I couldn't be bothered to give a lengthy explanation along the lines of "I don't want you to basically shave the sides of my head like a 12-year-old schoolboy." Instead I just sort of meekly consented to a ลองทรง which did not turn out to my liking.

Is there a short and snappy way to ask for an "anti-ลองทรง"? In the past I have resorted to

ไม่เอาลองทรง or ไม่อยากดูเหมือนเด็กมัธยม or even ไม่เอาสีขาวข้างๆ

Now having read this thread, do you think ข้างๆ แค่เล็มผมน้อย coupled with ไม่เอาลองทรง would work?

Briggsy,

sounds to me as if you were given what I have always known as, rong song san.

with regards to your other question, it was pronounced and written as rong, definetly a ror ruea as oppossed to a lor ling.

you know as well as I, you can ask three Thais the same question and receive three different answers.

amazing thailand indeed.

it was pronounced and written as rong, definetly a ror ruea as oppossed to a lor ling.

Was the vowel long or short, and could you hear which tone it was?

I'm guessing Briggsy is asking about ล words because hypercorrection is common, sometimes when a Thai is trying to say a word carefully, they will sometimes substitute an ล sound for a ร even when ล is the correct letter and pronunciation.

This is because the correct pronunciation of ร is drilled into them in school, but in their natural speech they make no clear distinction between the two.

The phenomenon is comparable to Swedes (who lack an initial /w/ sound) having problems saying 'very well' (comes out as wery well) or 'visa' (comes out as 'wisa'), or with French people speaking English who put /h/ in front of 'I' or 'and' (because they have to concentrate, there is no initial /h/ sound in French and when they strain to apply it in English you sometimes get a few too many).

รองทรง

rong song

[ N ] a hair style short in bac ; fashion of wearing the hair in a long tuft or bunch

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/26722.html

ทรงผมผู้ชายที่ตัดข้างล่างสั้นข้างบนยาว

a hair style short in the back but long on top

Edited by loong