Non O (retirement) transition to Non OX in Australia?

I'm Aussie and I am currently on a Non O and can extend that in 4 weeks, however I now wish to go back to Australia late December for a 3 month stay and I'm considering to apply for a Non OX from the Sydney Consulate. 

My question being, would I just let my Non O expire or should I seek advice from Immigration first?

Also if anyone can advise on the necessary Health Insurance factor, is it just necessary for the initial 1st year or is it a yearly thing that Immi check on with the 5 year OX ?

Reason being I'm 72 and in good health so I'd rather self insure if it's possible

Good wholesome advice is greatly appreciated thanks

Just let your current extension of stay elapse then apply for the OX once back in Australia, assuming you can get the necessary insurance and meet the financial rtequirements. Which you are required to have for the whole duration of the visa as well as for any subsequent extensions of stay based on this visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Just let your current extension of stay elapse then apply for the OX once back in Australia, assuming you can get the necessary insurance and meet the financial rtequirements. Which you are required to have for the whole duration of the visa as well as for any subsequent extensions of stay based on this visa.

Thanks Sheryl, yes I have the necessary funds in my Aussie bank as I believe that is the case with the OX, as in not needed to be in a Thai bank?

Any idea re the Health Insurance bit?

As said - there is no option to self insure and meeting insurance with real coverage could be an issue.  Do not understand why you would even consider changing from current extensions for retirement.  And the money must be in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Avoid Non O-X...

Better option is annual extension from your Non O retirement 

Financially its a win, in as much as I can leave my money in my home bank earning 6.5% pa and the visa only costs $A600 for 5 years. I presume you might mean the cost of health insurance given my age?

Just now, lopburi3 said:

As said - there is no option to self insure and meeting insurance with real coverage could be an issue.  Do not understand why you would even consider changing from current extensions for retirement.  And the money must be in Thailand.

I was lead to believe that with the Non OX from Sydney, Australia the funds can remain in Australia and if true the 6.5% interest it more than pays the $600 fee. It's the health insurance bit that could be the killer for me at my age.

Just now, steevjee said:

I was lead to believe that with the Non OX from Sydney, Australia the funds can remain in Australia and if true the 6.5% interest it more than pays the $600 fee. It's the health insurance bit that could be the killer for me at my age.

3. Financial qualifications

(a) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; or

(b) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand. 

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/80939-non-–-immigrant-visa-“o-x”-(long-stay-10-years)?page=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e5&menu=5d68c88b15e39c160c0081e6

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The Non OX from Sydney is a 5 year visa and ( I do need to double check this) the funds can be proven from an Australian Bank account.

So if it is indeed correct, I believe that it varies from country to country and even Embassy to Embassy

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

3. Financial qualifications

(a) Applicants must have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 3 million Baht; 

Sydney Consulate seems unique as quotes $A in bank is required for O-X  rather than being in Thai Bank

Proof of adequate funds

- A bank statement in the past six months showing a deposit account with the minimum fund of AUD 150,000 or an income statement with a monthly salary of AUD 5,000

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

Sydney Consulate seems unique as quotes $A in bank is required for O-X  rather than being in Thai Bank

Proof of adequate funds

- A bank statement in the past six months showing a deposit account with the minimum fund of AUD 150,000 or an income statement with a monthly salary of AUD 5,000

Yes correct, I just checked, also it states that health insurance must be acquired from a Thai Insurance Co for at least the 1st year

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-type-o-x

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, steevjee said:

Thanks Sheryl, yes I have the necessary funds in my Aussie bank as I believe that is the case with the OX, as in not needed to be in a Thai bank?

Any idea re the Health Insurance bit?

The money must be held in a Thai bank account, and you need to show the money was transferred from abroad

1 minute ago, steevjee said:

Yes correct, I just checked, also it states that health insurance must be acquired from a Thai Insurance Co for at least the 1st year

You need the insurance every year, and you are supposed to report to immigration every year for a check on the insurance bank account etc

1 minute ago, howerde said:

The OX visa is a 10 year visa (but given as 5+5 years) requires the 3 million baht money in a Thai bank account, also the insurance needs to come from an approved thai insurer  see here https://longstay.tgia.org/

Not for Aussies applying from Sydney, see link below, funds can be proven from an Australian bank.

This is the reason for my initial question and Health Insurance only for 1st year

I wonder if they are correct embassies and consulates can have the wrong info  I have on 0X visa although not from Sydney and i did my yearly report  they checked my bank account and they required a letter from my bank confirming the amount held and that had to be dated they day of document inspection

Edited by howerde

OP, of the approved health insurers  I found AXA gave the best price by a long way for the required 1 year initial health insurance. They do this by allowing a deductable of 100,000 baht which suits me as I'm happy to self insure but have AXA available if anything big happened requiring 100,000+ in hospital fees

You can check specific cost for yourself here

https://direct.axa.co.th/HealthOnline/EasyCare/CoverageOptionPlan/Agent/967C4F6A7E

Edit: For 58 year old with 100k deductable it was only 10,255 baht per year (AXA also offers 200k and 300k deductable)

Edited by Pattaya57

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

OP, of the approved health insurers  I found AXA gave the best price by a long way for the required 1 year initial health insurance. They do this by allowing a deductable of 100,000 baht which suits me as I'm happy to self insure but have AXA available if anything big happened requiring 100,000 + hospital fees

You can check specific cost for yourself here

https://direct.axa.co.th/HealthOnline/EasyCare/CoverageOptionPlan/Agent/967C4F6A7E

cheers mate, I'll check that out

Just had a look at the Sydney website the first thing that is wrong is it sats the visa is a 5 year visa, It is not it is a 10 year visa but given in 2 x 5 year blocls the same as the LTR visa and elite visa(or whatever it is called))

i will start my 2nd 5 year block next year

12 minutes ago, howerde said:

I wonder if they are correct embassies and consulates can have the wrong info  I have on 0X visa although not from Sydney and i did my yearly report  they checked my bank account and they required a letter from my bank confirming the amount held and that had to be dated they day of document inspection

3 minutes ago, howerde said:

Would be good to know if you get it via Sydney, if you transfer to Thailand you would be lucky to get 1% on it.

My understanding is that Sydney is the way to go, Canberra is a different deal and not as good. I guess I need to 

10 minutes ago, steevjee said:

My understanding is that Sydney is the way to go, Canberra is a different deal and not as good. I guess I need to 

Yes, Canberra requires 3 million in Thai bank unlike Sydney A$150k (which is actually about 3.5 million baht). 

My concern was even if O-X is granted on Aus $ how do you meet the yearly requirement of 1.5 million in Thai bank without transferring to Thailand (it would mean you did transfer 1.5 million less though)

I did email Sydney Consulate twice asking to confirm I could submit O-X application with $A bank statement but they never replied (I've since read on here they are very good for clarification questions if you call)

Edited by Pattaya57

7 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Yes, Canberra requires 3 million in Thai bank unlike Sydney A$150k (which is actually about 3.5 million baht). 

My concern was even if O-X is granted on Aus $ how do you meet the yearly requirement of 1.5 million in Thai bank without transferring to Thailand (it would mean you did transfer 1.5 million less though)

? I have not seen anything about a yearly requirement of 1.5 mill in a Thai Bank? at least not not with the OX from Sydney, they only state that the $150,000 must remain in the bank for the entire visa period

2 minutes ago, steevjee said:

? I have not seen anything about a yearly requirement of 1.5 mill in a Thai Bank? at least not not with the OX from Sydney, they only state that the $150,000 must remain in the bank for the entire visa period

Lopburi3 posted it above as MFA requirement?

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Lopburi3 posted it above as MFA requirement?

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand. 

I suspect that perhaps wires are getting crossed between the Canberra visas rules and the Sydney deal.

Sydney makes no mention of baht anywhere that I can see