Tammi

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have my own transport.

Thus you are not really an involved party on this issue.

I believe I said "hardly ever use them".

Great, well you kind of proved my point. You couldn't depend on them for public transport, so you got your own. Where is Al Gore when you need him?

Sorry Jingthing, it doesn't prove any point. I always have my own transport in any country I'm living in, irrespective of the local public transport available. My decision had nothing at all to do with baht bus taxis.

In actual fact, riding a motorcycle around Pattaya is probably more dangerous than dealing with irate, violent, racist Baht bus drivers. :o

There have been a number of off-topic posts on this thread.

Please leave Al Gore and BKK metered taxis out of this discusssion as they have nothing at all to do with the subject matter.

I believe the OP's original question was answered by Britmaveric, and then further refined as follows:

Baht Bus run around a circuit. They usually go beep beep whenever seeing potential customers. People hop on and hop off and pay the driver 5-10bht. 100bht if private taxi. Works pretty well.

Cheers to the Baht Bus!!! :o

Thank you Brit for this information. Now, say I want to go from Jomthien to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, would that be 100 baht?

Back on topic please folks.

/Edit - to the OP, I'd suggest a destination of the market opposite the BPH would give you more leverage.

Edited by Jai Dee
Additional comment added.

So do you think that Pattayans are forever doomed to have to ride around in baht buses, that we will never be able to hail an a/c taxi and go in comfort from point A to point B with a notice on the taxis window that says "I love farang" and for a reasonable 35 baht flag fall and a reasonable charge thereafter?

Yes - so whining does you no good darling!!! :D

Even if it is fun?

Dear Brit, :o

As Weho has pointed out it is the complainers that keep this world from being total chaos. Pattaya and Jomthien would certainly be much more pleasant with regulated taxis. Perhaps our local press would like to take up the cause. And I think it's a plendid idea to have T-shirts printed and we can all march on City Hall. I am complaining about being ripped off by baht bus drivers to the tune of 200 baht when I go to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (BPH). Then I am ripped off by Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for another 200 baht to get one of their private taxi drivers to take me back home. I have NEVER had to pay 200 baht in Bangkok and I have travelled similar distances there.

Of course I could walk to a baht bus route and get into the back and risk having my pockets picked or being thown out the back in an emergency stop, no a/c, fumes from the baht bus and other vehicles, water thrown over me during that water festival when resident farangs either flee the country or hunker down for the duration, then pay the driver 10 baht (and maybe get sworn at or have him out of the cab treatening me) at the Dolphin roundabout, negotiate my way across the road and take another baht bus going up Pattaya Nua, pay the driver 5 baht with the aforementioned risks on paying, then walk in the heat and on cluttered and potholed sidewalks to BPH.

It really is time that Pattaya had regulated, metered, a/c taxis.

Sadly you'll be dead before that happens Tammi!!! :D Anyways back to the subject at hand, befriend a few baht buses or mototaxi drivers. Get their mobile numbers. They can arrange most of your needs if the truth be told, call it a booking service of sorts. :o

Yes, I did use baht bus 500 for a while - a very nice, helpful chap. But he wasn't available all the time and no a/c.

JaiDee - sorry, I didn't see your post until just now. Actually, what I wanted to know when I started this post is what is this baht bust co-operative? How come there are so many baht buses? How come there are so many complaints about them? Why do they run only on some routes? Why is there no regular service on, say, Tepparasit and Sukhumvit? Why are they allowed to charge so much for 'off route'? Why can't we get a regulated, metered, a/c, taxi service!????????

Sadly you'll be dead before that happens Tammi!!! :D Anyways back to the subject at hand, befriend a few baht buses or mototaxi drivers. Get their mobile numbers. They can arrange most of your needs if the truth be told, call it a booking service of sorts. :o

Yes, I did use baht bus 500 for a while - a very nice, helpful chap. But he wasn't available all the time and no a/c.

JaiDee - sorry, I didn't see your post until just now. Actually, what I wanted to know when I started this post is what is this baht bust co-operative? How come there are so many baht buses? How come there are so many complaints about them? Why do they run only on some routes? Why is there no regular service on, say, Tepparasit and Sukhumvit? Why are they allowed to charge so much for 'off route'? Why can't we get a regulated, metered, a/c, taxi service!????????

Probably because some people at city hall don't want to lose some of their regular income.

onzestan

All good questions Tammi, and one which I guess only Khun Jamlong Sukprom of the Baht Bus Taxi Co Ltd could answer.

:D

The Baht Bus Taxi co Ltd. had over 700 vehicles in the cooperative at the end of 2006 with 412 members.

For the year ending 31.12.2006 the company made a profit of 1.4m baht.

Baht buses make a profit of 1.4M baht

Ariyawat Nuamsawat

Pattaya’s baht buses made a profit of 1.4 million baht last year, according to Jamlong Sukprom, chairman of the Pattaya Baht Bus Taxi Co Ltd, the cooperative under which all the drivers and vehicles work.

Jamlong was addressing the cooperative’s annual general meeting and the figure quoted was for the fiscal year ending December 31, 2006.

Officers from the Chonburi Traffic Department attended the meeting, as did Mayor Niran Wattanasartsathorn and his advisor Itthipol Khunplome.

The meeting was held at the Town in Town Hotel on May 25. After the financial results were read out and a summary of the committee work reported, Jamlong said that each member of the cooperative would receive 50 baht for each taxi number, and a 100 baht dividend.

Isuzu presented jackets to the drivers to thank the cooperative for buying so many Isuzu trucks.

Jamlong said that currently there are 412 members with more than 700 baht buses. Capital for operations at the end of December 31, 2006 was 10,610,270.36 baht. This amount included a debt of 1,191,965.56 baht. The capital stock of 663,000 baht accumulated a capital of 4,819,887.40 baht, and a profit for the year of 1,405,779.88 baht was declared.

Pattaya Mail.

700 vehicles on the road?

1.4 million baht profit?

That's only 2000 baht in profit per vehicle per year.

It sounds to me like a fair percentage of the cash fares are not being declared as income... :o

Probably because some people at city hall don't want to lose some of their regular income.

onzestan

Really? What could/can be done if that is the case?

So do you think that Pattayans are forever doomed to have to ride around in baht buses, that we will never be able to hail an a/c taxi and go in comfort from point A to point B with a notice on the taxis window that says "I love farang" and for a reasonable 35 baht flag fall and a reasonable charge thereafter?

There are many limo owners in Pattaya that hand out business cards for Pattaya-Suwa'boom trips. These guys will also drive you from A to B and back whenever you like. Pricy, but if it's with the family, or friends, then door-to-door is convenient.

There are many limo owners in Pattaya that hand out business cards for Pattaya-Suwa'boom trips. These guys will also drive you from A to B and back whenever you like. Pricy, but if it's with the family, or friends, then door-to-door is convenient.

Yes, I have 4 guys who are the best! But at 200 + baht per hour!

My posts were not off topic.

To say it is a final answer that a baht bus charter is 100 baht is false. That is the lowest price you will get for going even a short distance.

The goal of public tranport is to make it feasible for as many people as possible to go without private vehicles. The more people with private vehicles, the more carbon emissions. One taxi cab can solve the auto and moto needs of maybe 100 people (or some number, anyone know)? The public transport system in Pattaya is run by a mafia. Without taxi cabs with a fair fare system, there is a HUGE HOLE in the system. Al Gore is the most famous advocate in the world against global warming, a mention of such a figure as it relates to our LOCAL problem is by no means irrelevant. Imagine New York City or Bangkok without real taxicabs. Now imagine a better served Pattaya with taxicabs. Is Thailand so backward it can only put a real taxicab system in one city in the entire country?

Good day.

Edited by Jingthing

Lets look at private charter / hire of these guys over the last 4 or 5 years.

I used to live in the Residence garden at the beginning of Thappraya Road and would get a taxi from Walking Street proabably each night. Bt40 private hire was the norm from walking Street (after 2am) straight there. Doubt you'd get one of them for Bt80 now.

I moved to View Talay 2. Private hire say 3 years ago was about Bt60 and occasionally a little more. I could usually get them to go on their route (Bt10) and sometimes offered them some extra to drive me up to building B, perhaps Bt20. everyone happy. Now ? Bt100/120.

From Big C North Pattaya to VT2, normally Bt100 but sometimes lucky at Bt80 about 2 years ago. Now Bt150 and way less willingness to negotiate.

All the other shopping malls, now about Bt150. Who made up those signs with fares on ? not the council I bet !

In general, until perhaps 2/3 years ago, the drivers were more or less content to ply their routes with some parking up for private hire. Now the situation is reversed. Most want to park up snarling the roads whilst few wish to actually do what their designated job is, ply a route.

You go stand on 2nd Road say near Soi VC at 2/3/4am and wait for a bus doing the rounds. I am not talking about the mafia ones in front of the school who want 100+ on the bus before it will move but a normal Bt10 guy. You put your hand out, he slow down and you move to the back of the vehicle, he speeds up and is off. On the other hand, he does stop, you get in and he goes about 100m, parks up and gets out. Where you go ? he asks. Just on your route to Jomtien I say or perhaps VT2. Bt100/200/ whatever is the reply. I can speak a little Thai in this situation. Often he wants you to get out. The only reason he stopped in the first place was to take you away to a slightly more deserted area and hope to apply pressure so that you would private hire him as he saw that do join the private hire queue would have seen him behind another 450 lazy bu99ers. I never paid them unless I took a private hire to begin with.

The reality is that they do not want to do their job. OK, get a different one. No, because they make so much through scams, cheating and rip offs that there is little incentive to do the right thing. They are immune to the law or prosecution and the police are in their pocket.

About 2 years ago, it was mooted to withdraw about half of them to rid pattay aof the worst buses and make it easier on traffic. At that time there were about 550/600 buses. Now there are over 700 with many sittling idle.

If I find the occasional diamond in the rough who speaks English, I take his number and bus number. Then if I have a need for a private hire, I will give the business to someone who deserves it. Unlike many, I am willing to suffer hardship to give these guys nothing and I hope, wishfully, that they go hungry because I did not give them one satang.

Thanks, Torrenova. Exactly correct. Things have really gone downhill with those guys in the last few years. The behavior you describe about picking you up as if a bus and then extorting you later is downright criminal, and yes, it happens alot. Why does anyone defend these thugs?

Sorry Jingthing, it doesn't prove any point. I always have my own transport in any country I'm living in, irrespective of the local public transport available. My decision had nothing at all to do with baht bus taxis.

In actual fact, riding a motorcycle around Pattaya is probably more dangerous than dealing with irate, violent, racist Baht bus drivers.

I agree motos are dangerous. I still don't understand how you can pretend to have informed opinions about baht buses when you don't rely on them for your transport. Like a New Yorker who always takes taxis who mouths off about the subway.

My posts were not off topic.

To say it is a final answer that a baht bus charter is 100 baht is false. That is the lowest price you will get for going even a short distance.

The goal of public tranport is to make it feasible for as many people as possible to go without private vehicles. The more people with private vehicles, the more carbon emissions. One taxi cab can solve the auto and moto needs of maybe 100 people (or some number, anyone know)? The public transport system in Pattaya is run by a mafia. Without taxi cabs with a fair fare system, there is a HUGE HOLE in the system. Al Gore is the most famous advocate in the world against global warming, a mention of such a figure as it relates to our LOCAL problem is by no means irrelevant. Imagine New York City or Bangkok without real taxicabs. Now imagine a better served Pattaya with taxicabs. Is Thailand so backward it can only put a real taxicab system in one city in the entire country?

Good day.

Assuming metered a/c taxi is on road 24 hours per day (3 drivers); and one 5 km trip takes 15 minutes at an average speed of 20 km per hour. This will result in 96 trips in 24 hours. So assuming only one passenger: 100 is correct.

Does anyone know what a 5km trip taking 15 minutes would cost in an a/c metered taxi in BKK. Not 200 Baht I am sure!

And you are correct that the lowest price is 100 baht that you can charter a baht bus for and going less than a kilometer. I have a farang friend who does this regularly.

But we must ask that if baht buses were replaced by metered taxis then what will the poor people do who get around on 5 baht fares?

Of course the answer is to keep a reasonable number of baht buses and motos and have a reasonable number of metered taxis to service both the poor and the not so poor. And regulated metered a/c taxis would definitely be safer and more comfortable for tourists who mostly come from countries where this is available. Instead they come here and can get ripped off because a baht bus driver easily knows who is tourist.

I still don't understand how you can pretend to have informed opinions about baht buses when you don't rely on them for your transport. Like a New Yorker who always takes taxis who mouths off about the subway.

That's the key phrase and your main problem: "I still don't understand".

One does not need to experience a problem first hand to understand it, and in fact your experiencing problems 'up close and personal' is making you angry and resentful, which clouds your judgement.

Edited by tropo

I still don't understand how you can pretend to have informed opinions about baht buses when you don't rely on them for your transport. Like a New Yorker who always takes taxis who mouths off about the subway.

That's the key phrase and your main problem: "I still don't understand".

One does not need to experience a problem first hand to understand it, and in fact your experiencing problems 'up close and personal' is making you angry and resentful, which clouds your judgement.

I suppose then that makes me a prominent expert on Tasmanian animal husbandry.

post-37101-1190733718_thumb.jpg

post-37101-1190733555.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Thai(s) do not complain about baht bus, so any complaints falls on death ears. Roads are bad enuf without taxi(s) clogging up the streets even more. Best bet is owning a private vehicle for your transport & A/C needs.

So why not scrap the taxis in Bangkok and everyone who needs a car ride should buy a car?

Obviously, I totally reject your anti-environment ideas and total fatalism.

I agree it is Thais who have to change this.

So who exactly was it that forced the Bangkok taxi meter drivers to turn on their meters after so many years that they wouldn't?

Was it the Peruvians? The Cypriots? Who do you think did it?

Edited by Jingthing

Seeing you're on the course of changing the subject.

Is a motorcyclist who has never had an accident qualified to discuss motorcycle safety?

Is a motorcyclist who has never had an accident qualified to discuss motorcycle safety?

Yes. Very much so.

But how does it follow that someone who doesn't ride baht buses is an expert on baht buses?

Yes. Very much so.

But how does it follow that someone who doesn't ride baht buses is an expert on baht buses?

It's a little closer to baht buses than pigs in Tasmania wouldn't you say? :o

Someone who doesn't ride baht buses is not the same as someone who occasionally rides them.

Will this thread reach 20 pages?

but a normal Bt10 guy. You put your hand out, he slow down and you move to the back of the vehicle, he speeds up and is off. On the other hand, he does stop, you get in and he goes about 100m, parks up and gets out. Where you go ? he asks. Just on your route to Jomtien I say or perhaps VT2. Bt100/200/ whatever is the reply.

Torrenova, your post #44 was correct. The only thing I would do differently in the above case is that I never get into a cruising baht bus with nobody inside (very late at night that is). If someone's inside it's always 10 baht.

The baht bus caters for the masses, rolling out of Walking street then turning left in 2nd road you will always see a baht bus at a 45 degree angle loading up local workers for 5 baht. They go as far as Naklua for 5 baht, for us farangs it's 10, in a straight line. It's not bad, cheap and easy.

Where the problem does lay is private hires as Torrenova pointed out. Too dear, from 100 baht to 200 baht baht depending where you want to go.

There must be an initiative by City Hall and The Baht Bus Drivers where a no loss phasing in program could be implemented. Perhaps they could have a System where existing Baht Buses could be exchanged to metered taxis when the vehicle gets replaced. Surely there would be operators that would love to drive an air con meter taxi around Pattaya? Stand over tactics, bribes, selfishness has no place in such discussions. Surely these stake holders can get together and work something out that is beneficial to everyone can't they?

There must be an initiative by City Hall and The Baht Bus Drivers where a no loss phasing in program could be implemented. Perhaps they could have a System where existing Baht Buses could be exchanged to metered taxis when the vehicle gets replaced. Surely there would be operators that would love to drive an air con meter taxi around Pattaya? Stand over tactics, bribes, selfishness has no place in such discussions. Surely these stake holders can get together and work something out that is beneficial to everyone can't they?

I have often wondered what would happen if a person bought a baht bus or two, joined the co-op and when time came to replace the vehicle, they were replaced with sedans complete with air con and a meter. To complete the package put a phone number on the side.

Apart from the danger to life and limb, would any drivers take the challenge?