Where Were You On Sept 11, 2001?

TheExpat

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How did you find about the attacks on the twin towers and what were your thoughts / reaction?

I and my now Thai wife were talking on Dial-Pad, a computer free call with headphone & mic set up, she was in Bangkok, and I was in California, when she said to tune into CNN, a plane has crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. I did, and as it unfolded on TV, we watched it together and were in shock of what happened next, another plane hit again then, the whole scene was crazy. Reports of the Pentagon, and then flight 93 started coming in, we were witnessing this terrible event together, live.

We will never forget!

I was in Singapore, on a vakay from Thailand. Found a bar with a TV and a Swiss German couple were there laughing and saying the Americans deserved it. The bartender just brought me a box of tissue.

It was a symbolic hit on the US, and well targeted. It would be like hitting Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower but the added bennie was it was the symbol of the American dream and had all the rich bankers in the buildings (forgetting all the sectretaries, clerks, cafeteria staff, janitors, kids in daycare, et al). I used to work in WTC 7 and I lost friends and colleagues who were in 1 & 2. Gods rest all their souls.

I guess one thing that really came out of it was world reaction and people showing their true colours -- hatred of the US based on what their news sources have spoon-fed them over the years.

Singaporean Chinese just looked away at our white faces; only one East Indian lad at a cafe said how sorry he was for our loss.

Ii made me wonder why we sent our boys to fight and die for Europe during the world wars.

Oh ya, I'm Canadian, but have long worked for US companies and in the US. We lost alot of Canadian boys over there, too.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Ii made me wonder why we sent our boys to fight and die for Europe during the world wars.

Because if you hadn't Germany would have taken over the whole of Europe and then turned on the US and quite probably been an unstoppable force.

I'm surprised that people are saying now that the world shows it's true colours against America, they have been hated for a long time before 9/11 what took them so long to notice?

But it's not so much a hate for the people, it's a hate for the govt and it's policies. I guess most of us were annoyed to see Bush voted in again, and there's resentment for that also. Americans are pretty unique in having the vote that chooses the man who runs the most powerful nation on earth. Yet the majority still voted in Bush again. (Or was this the first time the majority voted him in? :D)

I don't get this 'it was only the US people that get the grief' thing either and as you said you are Canadian though worked for US companies. And really what a way tie yourself in with the 'national grief'. :o

So you lost Canadian people, do you cry more tears over people that hold the right passports? I believe the place was pretty multicultural, people from all over the world died there.

Edited by bkkmadness

Some reactions we have had to this post are seriously out of line, I've posted a few reactionary replies but they have been deleted, probably for the best.

Although there will be many who don't support all American and British foreign policy, no normal person would actually cheer the mass destruction of the TT, which had people of every nationality and race working there.

These people are in the minority and are chipping in to stir emotions.

Let us remember the people who were there and lost there lives today, rather than a few ***holes making outrageous comments.

I guess one thing that really came out of it was world reaction and people showing their true colours -- hatred of the US based on what their news sources have spoon-fed them over the years.

It made me wonder why we sent our boys to fight and die for Europe during the world wars.

You sent your boys to fight and die for Europe because it suited the purpose of your government at the time. I'm really surprised that you, of all people, are playing the maudlin flag. The US lost 0.32% of its population in WWII. The UK lost 0.84%. The USSR lost 13.44%. Does your heart bleed for Ivan?

Agreed with maddy,

and the "ya don't expect your friends to turn on you later" thing is an illusion.

We've tolerated - nay! stood side by side - throughout more than enough <deleted> that it has now got to the point where we are now living in jeapordy due to the the history of U.S Foreign affairs - and our (gov't's support of it). I should think the London bombings could only begin to clarify that.

Or, if you ar referring to the nation whose fine wines you threw out the gutter and whose form of potatoes you newly dubbed "freedom" (despite the slight detail that they are of Belgian or Dutch origin) well, they had enough muslim-fundementalist related bombings throughout the nineties - and anyway the US didn't come to their aid, they came to aid the british, in the final dying moments of the war.

The US lost 0.32% of its population in WWII. The UK lost 0.84%. The USSR lost 13.44%. Does your heart bleed for Ivan?

and the "ya don't expect your friends to turn on you later" thing is an illusion.

We've tolerated - nay! stood side by side - throughout more than enough <deleted> that it has now got to the point where we are now living in jeapordy due to the the history of U.S Foreign affairs

We are talking like she's American, but she's Canadian. And though I appreciate Canada's contribution (as I'm sure they appreciated my Grandfather's contribution when he was in fighting in Burma) it's a bit much for a Canadian to playing the 'We rescued you from the world wars' card.

Edited by bkkmadness

Over the course of the world war II, 1.1 million Canadians served in the army, navy, and air force. Of these more than 42,000 gave their lives and another 54,000 were wounded. Countless other Canadians shared in the suffering and the hardships of war at home and abroad.

Lets not turn this into pick on the Canadian even though her comments may have riled you!

OK, open a can of worms and...

Endure, my heart bleeds for anyone who dies. But statistics lie. My family sent five men over to fight. Three came back alive, my dad came back but apparently was never the same, and my cousin died in Italy. Pretty higher stats than what you posted.

True, Maddy, people all over the world seem to hate Bush and his policies, but this trickles down to hating US citizens, too. (Bladdy Americans)

I put that thought in because I was truly devastated by what some people said about 9-11.

The US was in the European war arena way before Pearl Harbour.

Kayo, what do wine and potatoes have to do with war?

And now, I wonder how many countries would mass troops to fight if America was attacked by say China? 555

Over the course of the world war II, 1.1 million Canadians served in the army, navy, and air force. Of these more than 42,000 gave their lives and another 54,000 were wounded. Countless other Canadians shared in the suffering and the hardships of war at home and abroad.

Lets not turn this into pick on the Canadian even though her comments may have riled you!

If you are going to cut and paste from the wikipedia at least have the decency to acknowledge your source and not pass it off as your own thoughts.

And now, I wonder how many countries would mass troops to fight if America was attacked by say China? 555

If it was an unprovoked attack, ie. America didn't start it, then I think most European countries would gather forces to help defend America from China.

My home country of Ireland would declare itself neutral but they would probably also take the opportunity to learn a bit of cantonese.

Garro, crewcut is new to the forum, not everyone knows that they have to put the source in. I think he made the best post in this whole thread too.

This is a day of remembrance for many people, anniversary of many a death in a tragic event, not a day to bitch about America.

We can do that the rest of the year. :o

If it was an unprovoked attack, ie. America didn't start it, then I think most European countries would gather forces to help defend America from China.

My home country of Ireland would declare itself neutral but they would probably also take the opportunity to learn a bit of cantonese.

Well they would probably start with learning Japanese but we'd clue them in at some point. :o

OK, open a can of worms and...

The US was in the European war arena way before Pearl Harbour.

Not true Jet.....

Pearl Harbor was bombed on Sunday, December 7th, 1941, a "date that will live in infamy," as US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt called it.

On day later, Roosevelt went before Congress to ask for a formal declaration of war. The vote was unanimous except for a lone holdout. World War 2 for the US officially began on December 8th. On December 11th, 1941, Germany and Italy both declared war on the United States.

Edit to name source as wiki.answers.com

1. I was at home in Holland and when I saw the images of the first plane hitting the WTC, my first thought was it was a 'Hollywood' stunt/disaster movie....I just couldn't believe it.. :D

2. Tonight I watched the dramatic TV documentary, made by those 2 young French brother filmmakers, who where in Manhattan at a Fire Fighters' Brigade. They were supposed to film a documentary of a young Fire Fighter rookie, becoming a man...when they filmed the first plane hitting the WTC.

His chief told the brothers (later) it normally takes 9 months to become a fully licensed Fire Fighter, but this guy did in in 9 hours.... :o

The French brothers nearly escaped when Tower 2 collapsed.

Horror into the extreme, and may the victims rest in Peace.

Note: I 'missed' another terrorist attack myself when I flew PanAm 103 from Heathrow a few days later after the bombed one over Lockerbie/Scotland back in december 1988. I'll never forget how quiet and scared everyone was...

But, at least I'm still here, thank God & Buddha.

Maybe we should pay our respect today, 9/11, and have a minute of silence in remembrance of all the victims and their families and friends wo are still suffering of the loss of their loved ones.

LaoPo :D

Edited by LaoPo

Garro, crewcut is new to the forum, not everyone knows that they have to put the source in. I think he made the best post in this whole thread too.

This is a day of remembrance for many people, anniversary of many a death in a tragic event, not a day to bitch about America.

We can do that the rest of the year. :o

When is the day of rememberance for the innocent who didn't die on American soil?

Ya, like Cantonese would be a big help when mainland Chinese speaks Mandarin.

Maddy, you "think" European nations would help? Fek, the EU takes longer than the UN to make a decision. And then they'd bicker over which uniform design and bananas to take. I reckon Germany would unilateraly jump in first and tell the rest of the EU to FO.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Ya, like Cantonese would be a big help when mainland Chinese speaks Mandarin.

I am sure our new masters would appreciate the effort even if it did turn out that Ireland had been misguided in its choice of welcoming language.