Letter From Embassy/ Retirement Visa

Hello everybody,

I am a UK citizen, 51 years old, married to a Thai and have 2 children, both in an International school here in Bangkok. I hold a retirement visa ( expires on the 16th Sept). I do not have a pension from the UK. My wife and I have an income in excess of 70,000 baht per month here from various Thai investments and I bring in the school fees from the UK via Visa card ( in excess of one million Baht per year).

Today, 10th Sept I went to Immigration at 0830. My number came up at 11.00.( have total of 800,000 Baht In 3 a/c's.....and bank letters) . A map showing the location of my apartment is required...no probs...I have ATM slips for the past 5 years+ the bank statements ( which I did not have with me today)...no probs... A letter is required from the embassy to show pension.....40,000 Baht per month.

I do realise that the moods and rules at Soi Suan Plu change on an almost daily basis , but this letter which is required from the Embassy has given me cause for concern ( my first ever ' knock back' in 15 years.

I plan to go again tomorrow..... with my wife and bank statements/ATM slips and o/s tt details....school invoices and whatever else I can dig up....But in the meantime I would welcome anyones constructive comments on this.

Kind regards to all,

Off road

...have total of 800,000 Baht In 3 a/c's.....and bank letters...

If you have 800k in the bank and can show proof of that, you don't need to show proof of pension income. It's no wonder the lads in Immigration are getting confused but suggest you try another officer or better still, another office.

Chiang Mai,

Thank you for your reply.

The Immigration officer made it quite clear of what was required.

1. 800k in bank +bank letter to proove + photo copys of pass books

2. Letter from embassy to show a monthly income of 40,000

3. She gave me another form headed 'statement' to fill in.....very badly written ...in Thai and English. I gather it is a statement from my wife....which details where we live.

4. Map to my apartment.

Hopefully will get another officer tomorrow.

Regards,

Off road

It is not clear if you need 40k Embassy because your 800k for retirement is short or if they intend to change you to 40k income family extension of stay? Are you also saying you did not have passbooks/copies and bank letter? Do all accounts have your name only?

It is not clear if you need 40k Embassy because your 800k for retirement is short or if they intend to change you to 40k income family extension of stay? Are you also saying you did not have passbooks/copies and bank letter? Do all accounts have your name only?

Lopburi3,

Hi, All a/c have my name only. I had 3 letters from 3 banks totalling 850k...all been there more than the required 3 months. I had the bank books there with me.....but she wanted copys of them as well.

When I first changed from tourist visas to non imm 0.......my first application was on the basis of support/marry......for 3 months. When I got the year visa propper....being over 50...the officer just said...." you over 50.....retirement visa better for you"

Regards,

Off road

Is the extension of stay in your passport marked "retirement" or "support Thai wife"? This 40k requirement only makes sense if you are not applying for retirement and if you used support the wife would have to be with you.

Lopburi3,

My extension of stay for the past year shows retirement visa. For 3 months prior to that my visa was on the marry/support basis. I would be quite happy to settle for either visa ( 1 year and 90 day reporting) as I believe that I am eligable for either.

Thanks again for your views......I shall update you again after tomorrows visit.

Regards,

Off road

Hello all,

Just to conclude this thread...my retirement visa ( number 2 ) was issued today.

Again I was at Soi Suan Plu at 0815...and my number came up over 2 hours later. I saw a different officer from yesterday, had my wife with me, and photo copys of all bank books ...every page...and hundreds of atm receipts. The officer said that she would issue a 1 year visa....but I had to get another letter from the bank..........specifically showing a telex transfer from the UK....(The amount was 5,000GBP)....and that I was to return and go straight to her desk.....no queing.

This was completed after lunch....the passport stamped....and then forewarded to another officer at a back desk.

The scrutiny of the bank books began again and after 10 minutes got the ok. Times are a changing...and this has left me wondering what additional requirements will appear in September 2008 when I am due to renew. Just a point to remember.....should you receive money in a TT to your bank from overseas.......remember to get a print out from your bank detailing the complete transaction.

Regards,

Off road

...have total of 800,000 Baht In 3 a/c's.....and bank letters...

If you have 800k in the bank and can show proof of that, you don't need to show proof of pension income. It's no wonder the lads in Immigration are getting confused but suggest you try another officer or better still, another office.

Preciously, I would be confused too if presented with 3 bank books etc. For retirement visa its 800k in a savings bank account or proof of pension over 65,000 baht per month if coming in from overseas, again this is verified by applying for letter from your embassy.

You can possibly have a mix of both, this year I could only keep 500k in my savings account so went the pension letter route to make up the short fall.

The 40k baht per month is for visa extension based on marriage to Thai national, never heard it applied to retirement visa. From my own experience at Suanplu, after the usual wait I was at the desk no more than 30 mins. Next year I will have the 800k in savings and not bother with with the embassy letter.