Flags

jubby

I've noticed there are a lot more Flags around at the moment. A few Houses in Our village have started to fly 3 flags, One , the Thai National flag, no questions about that, the next one , a yellow one - maybe a connection with royalty , and the third a blue one. Can anyone tell me what the yellow and blue ones signify ?.

I was thinking about getting some and putting them on my Garage which is close to the road and full of my toys. Thought as they are highly regarded that they could offer some protection incase someone decides to burn it down or something, pretty strange thoughts I know ;-)

But the funny thing is its been mooted by the Poo Yai Ban, or maybe from the Ampur, that we should all be flying the flags, which usually means its a requirement. So we will all have to buy the Flags shortly.

Anyone know whats its all about ? I'm not taking the Micheal, just genuinely interested.

thai budhism is the reason for the colours

each day of the week has a different colour assigned

for example

monday is yellow

friday is blue

whats related in your post is that the monarchy happens to be born on a monday and his wife on a friday, hence the colour seen everywhere especially on a monday here in bkk

in bkk you see many muppets wearing their lovely yellow shirts on a monday

its just peer pressure by the state

there is no rule as yet to say all those residing in thailand have to wear yellow or fly a yellow flag on a monday, its just up to you and your thai partner and how those in your village may look upon you if you dont conform to the madness of state propaganda

Edited by Hampstead

I did think it was some sort of state comformity propoganda of which there seems to be a lot about at the moment, but put it down to paranoia. Its surely not necessary in this case as I'm sure all the village will happily fly the Flags due to there associations. I do know that these type of requests are usually 100% conformed to in our village. Anyway, I'm sure its not Farangs business anyway. Frightening, maybe we'll all get rounded up and gassed.

But the funny thing is its been mooted by the Poo Yai Ban, or maybe from the Ampur, that we should all be flying the flags, which usually means its a requirement. So we will all have to buy the Flags shortly.

Lovely.

And there are some who claim that there is no social (governmental?) pressure now to conform to increasing nationalism.

Not in my house.

A lot of those 'muppets' are wearing yellow on a Monday because their employers require it.

[\quote]

And some of these muppets (such as me), wear yellow shirts on any day of the week that we like because we actually respect HM the King.....

Simon

its just peer pressure by the authorities

i'm sure there is a lot of that involved , you will stand out if you are not showing the colours and in this country it is always better to fit in.

the requests for you to show flags could also be because there is an upcoming visit to your area by a member of the royal family.

And some of these muppets (such as me), wear yellow shirts on any day of the week that we like because we actually respect HM the King.....

anybody can put on a yellow shirt , i saw an arrested criminal on the news , he was wearing a yellow shirt too .

leading ones life in a selfless way that also benefits the country would be a better way of showing respect.

corrupt politicians and crooked cops wearing yellow does not make them any more righteous or cover up the ugliness of their actions.

Edited by taxexile

I respect the King Also, as I do my own Queen. I've no problems with the Flags, Just wanted to know what they meant before getting some ;-)

No probs with the T shirts either. Buy me some and I'll wear em, XXL please ;-)

The Choice would be nice though especially in Thailand, which I believe means the Land of the Free.

Anyway, probably best to leave it at that as someone has suggested were on Dodgy ground as far as the Forum rules are concerned.

There is no "muppet" ness in showing pride for your country. Its one of the nice qualities of Thailand. In most other countries, people only seem to get patriotic when something bad happens.

That pride that Thai people take in their history, traditions, etc. is beautiful. Fly the flag if you what to. I do. If you think I'm a muppet, come over to my house and we'll discuss it face to face like men. PM for my address.

That pride that Thai people take in their history, traditions, etc. is beautiful. Fly the flag if you what to. I do. If you think I'm a muppet, come over to my house and we'll discuss it face to face like men. PM for my address.

Before we can discuss that like men you would have to read a few books though.

I'd be interested in the books as well. Please PM me.

As for 'discussing it face to face like real men', thats fighting talk where I come from; definately not the Thai way; So why not get some 'Jai yen yen' or whatever it is, No ones knocking Thailand here, Just after some enlightenment. A beer yen yen works for me ;-)

I've just finished several. What would you recommend?

The two most important books are the one we cannot mention here, and "Rituals of National Loyalty" by Katherine E. Bowie. Very interesting is "The Boys in Black" published by White Lotus and, by the same author and publisher, a study on the 'Or Sor' - very deep insights into the use of militias and paramilitary forces by the state, both in combat and as a tool for ideology and propaganda. Works by the historian Thongchai Winitchakul are very interesting as well, and with a few reservations (a bit too communist, and in his analyes on the South he is very off on most points) i would also recommend Ungpakorn's "A coup for the Rich", which is available for free download, i think at Prachathai.com.

The NewMandala website has some very intersting scholastic artcles, and also Asiasentinel.com has very well researched journalistic articles.

Edited by ColPyat

I'd not fly any flags - No comment, good, bad or indifferent.

i got bought a yellow shirt last year ,had to wear on mondays to mark the kings 60 years on the throne......

you HAD to wear it? When are they coming with the "Pledge of Allegience" every morning?

If I fly the Union Jack (OK I know purists call it the Union Flag) on my house in Rayong province, will the house get burnt down? - or is there a more civilised attitude to such things in Thailand than in parts of Wales?

What about the "stars & bars"? OK?

its just peer pressure by the authorities

i'm sure there is a lot of that involved , you will stand out if you are not showing the colours and in this country it is always better to fit in.

the requests for you to show flags could also be because there is an upcoming visit to your area by a member of the royal family.

anybody can put on a yellow shirt , i saw an arrested criminal on the news , he was wearing a yellow shirt too .

leading ones life in a selfless way that also benefits the country would be a better way of showing respect.

corrupt politicians and crooked cops wearing yellow does not make them any more righteous or cover up the ugliness of their actions.

Couldn't agree more.

And farangs who wear the shirt or the band, whether or not sincere in their beliefs, just look like they are trying a bit too hard to ingrataite themselves with the locals, or make the missus proud.

Why the need to advertise anyway? Better i say to show your respect and admiration by following the example of his Majesty's deeds; do some of your own.

I respect the King Also, as I do my own Queen. I've no problems with the Flags, Just wanted to know what they meant before getting some ;-)

No probs with the T shirts either. Buy me some and I'll wear em, XXL please ;-)

The Choice would be nice though especially in Thailand, which I believe means the Land of the Free.

Anyway, probably best to leave it at that as someone has suggested were on Dodgy ground as far as the Forum rules are concerned.

Sounds to me like the Original Poster got his information and is (quite rightly) asking for a closure to this thread before it inevitably denigrates.