Hospital Prices Going Up

mark100

18,000 baht for every day lm in hospital.

Something is wrong here. No hospital in Thailand charges that much for room, board and nursing care. Bangkok General Hospital, from my experience, seems to offer the highest priced rooms. Their low-end private room is about 9,000 baht per day for room, board, nursing care and service charge.

Bumrunggrad recently raised their room rates. They now charge 5,660 baht for private room, board, nursing care and service charge. Their semi-private room is 3,065 baht and a four bed is 2,365 baht per day.

When checking hospital room rates, by the way, always make sure that the price you are being quoted includes the cost of Room, Food (board), Nursing Care and Service Charge; because when you get the final bill those charges will be on it.

The only possible justification for charging 18,000 baht per day is that she will have to stay in an Intensive Care Unit and will require constant nursing care and supervision.

Or...they are planning to put her in the hospital "Presidential Suite."

Can assure you l've checked the price many times and the price is 18,000 baht, the last time my daughter was in they charged 18,000 a day which l believe included basic nursing care, medication etc, was all charged on top.

The operation is for myself not my daughter but the price is still the same, and l've just checked with my local private hosipital in the UK and they will remove my vein for £1500 all in, intital consulation, operation , aftercare and an overnight stay in the hosiptal, thats cheaper than Thailand, amazing.

Maybe these huge price rises are confined to the Bangkok/Pattaya, but looking through the previous posts in does'nt seem the case.

Hi Mark,

The idea of any hospital in Thailand charging 18,000 baht per day for a private hospital room really shocked me. So I checked with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. They quoted 7,650 baht per day to me for Private Room, Board, Nursing Care and Service Charge. This is the cost that I had expected. It falls in line with the other "5 Star" international quality hospitals here in Thailand.

This is the portion of the hospital charges that are covered under Room and Board in insurance policies. This is the cost that people need to know if they are using insurance to pay for the room.

I don't doubt that 18,000 baht per day comes into play somewhere in your stay. And, I don't doubt that BPH treatment charges are dramatically rising. But, the room cost is 7,650 baht per day, which is in line with similar type hospitals.

Something is wrong here. No hospital in Thailand charges that much for room, board and nursing care. Bangkok General Hospital, from my experience, seems to offer the highest priced rooms. Their low-end private room is about 9,000 baht per day for room, board, nursing care and service charge.

Bumrunggrad recently raised their room rates. They now charge 5,660 baht for private room, board, nursing care and service charge. Their semi-private room is 3,065 baht and a four bed is 2,365 baht per day.

When checking hospital room rates, by the way, always make sure that the price you are being quoted includes the cost of Room, Food (board), Nursing Care and Service Charge; because when you get the final bill those charges will be on it.

The only possible justification for charging 18,000 baht per day is that she will have to stay in an Intensive Care Unit and will require constant nursing care and supervision.

Can assure you l've checked the price many times and the price is 18,000 baht, the last time my daughter was in they charged 18,000 a day which l believe included basic nursing care, medication etc, was all charged on top.

The operation is for myself not my daughter but the price is still the same, and l've just checked with my local private hosipital in the UK and they will remove my vein for £1500 all in, intital consulation, operation , aftercare and an overnight stay in the hosiptal, thats cheaper than Thailand, amazing.

Maybe these huge price rises are confined to the Bangkok/Pattaya, but looking through the previous posts in does'nt seem the case.

Hi Mark,

The idea of any hospital in Thailand charging 18,000 baht per day for a private hospital room really shocked me. So I checked with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. They quoted 7,650 baht per day to me for Private Room, Board, Nursing Care and Service Charge. This is the cost that I had expected. It falls in line with the other "5 Star" international quality hospitals here in Thailand.

This is the portion of the hospital charges that are covered under Room and Board in insurance policies. This is the cost that people need to know if they are using insurance to pay for the room.

I don't doubt that 18,000 baht per day comes into play somewhere in your stay. And, I don't doubt that BPH treatment charges are dramatically rising. But, the room cost is 7,650 baht per day, which is in line with similar type hospitals.

Actually, the 18,000 baht per day price they quoted you may have been some sort of "package price" for treatment of her medical condition, including Room and Board, General Hospital Expenses and Doctor Visits.

Was about to say the same. Had a one night overnight at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital that was 13,000. My first hospital stay ever in fact, as I rarely even sneeze much less actually get ill. Vomited once about 6 hours after a meal of homemade Frito pie and felt weak for a few hours so decided why risk it and went in. The only "treatment" was a saline IV + antibiotic IV, some anti-nausea pills x 2, observation (3 visits, and literally a "looks like you're better now, but you can stay another day if you want"). I opted to go home.

Still their location is about 5 minutes from our house so we continue to go there if anyone gets ill. A cheaper option, with only a small sacrifice* in quality for those living in Pattaya would IMO be Samitivej and then Phayathai Sriracha.

:o

*naturally this depends on what procedures you're having done

Edited by Heng

Hi Mark,

Actually, the 18,000 baht per day price they quoted you may have been some sort of "package price" for treatment of her medical condition, including Room and Board, General Hospital Expenses and Doctor Visits.

Can assure you they charged my little girl 18,000 on her most recent stay, and this is the price they have quoted me and my wife when we rang to enquire about my operation. :o

Hi Mark,

Tony, after reading your post l got my wife to ring the Bangkok/Pattaya again and here's what they said.

My operation to remove my vein is 90,000 baht this includes one night in hospital and all doctor's fees. lf l have to stay beyond that the charge for the room and nurse's fees are 18,000 baht, medication is on top of that.

They did not break down the costs for her, so l think what they are basically saying is 18,000 includes nurses and basic doctor's fee. lf i require any further treatment that is extra, so the 18,000 includes taking your blood pressure etc during the night after your operation, basic vitals.

Last year l got a quote for the same procedure at this hosipital and the price was approx 30,000 baht.

Even if basic nursing care is included in the price l still think 30,000 to 90,000 is quite a jump, and how can they justify it??

If you look through some on the other posts on the medical section you will see a lady who has been quoted over 100,000 baht for a caesarean section from this hospital, my wife had the same operation 3 years ago for 34,000 including a 2 day stay in the Bangkok/Pattaya.

Now lm not knocking the standards of this hospital, l think they are first class, in fact it is the best hosiptal l have ever been to, but 200% rise in fees when the current inflation rate is 5.1% in Thailand is harsh by anyones standards.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply Tony.