2 Nationalities And The Army ?

Phuket Dragon

My Son has 2 nationalities Dutch and Thai, in the Netherlands you dont need to go into the Army but In Thailand is it mandatory when you reach 18-20 years , how is Thailand handling such matters when somebody has 2 nationalities when Son is living in Thailand or the Netherlands.?

Im 50 now and Dutch never have served in an army.

In Thailand, males need not necessarily spend any time in the military; there are many alternatives and options. If your son does opt out of the army it does reduce his chances of ever becoming Prime Minister to all but zero.

Edited by sunrise07

What is mandatory is that you make yourself eligble for conscription at age 17. Depending on the quota for that year in his district, there may not be any conscription, as volunteers take up all the spots. Most likely, it is a combination of the two. If there are vacant spots, balls are pulled out of the hat via a lottery system. Red ball = 2 years conscriptin, Black ball = released from all futher duties

There are many options:

- turn up for lottery taking the risk

- do 3 years of cadets while at high school. Relatively painless, gets you out of school one day per week. Legit option of choice for most people. I also understand cadets can be done while at university.

- defer lottery by undertaking unviersity education. Eventually though you'll have to show up for the lottery.

- Volunteer. For those who have a university education, people who volunteer during the call up period are only required to do 6 months of service. Those who do have a university degree, don't volunteer, and take their chances with the lottery, must do the full 2 years if the pick the red ball however.

- Move out of Thailand until 30, taking your name off the house registration book. Return to Thailand after 30. Those who then turn up for the lottery after 30 (ie those who have legally avoided their date with the conscription officer until this point) are exempted from service, even if they get the red ball. Instead, they are put into the Thai version of the Army reserves, which in Thailand is a non-active unit, and is only called up in times of national emergency (ie invasion by china). All Thai men between 18 and 45, if not in active service are technically members of the army reserves.

Do as many of my Thai friends did, pay the money and your name never gets the 'red' ball

please read the forum rules about discussion of illegal activities here on TV.

Sorry had no idea that this was illegal ??

Just phoned one of my Thai friends to ask....... he said NO it is NOT illegal, you pay the money and buy youself out, in his case his father did 17years ago.

Do as many of my Thai friends did, pay the money and your name never gets the 'red' ball

please read the forum rules about discussion of illegal activities here on TV.

Sorry had no idea that this was illegal ??

Just phoned one of my Thai friends to ask....... he said NO it is NOT illegal, you pay the money and buy youself out, in his case his father did 17years ago.

no, paying yourself out is not mentioned anywhere in the offical selection rules, though I do believe some hi-so minister did propose it under the last government as a convienent way to legitimise these things.

• 2 months later...

I suppose quote.....

"I will say though, that to facilitate the process expoditiously, all matters were discussed over a fine lunch and drinks for the entire staff of 6 at the Sasadee office, and a fax machine was donated to the office so that my papers could be processed in one trip/afternoon rather than over 3 weeks).

.....is mentioned in the official rules. :o Sorry Samran could not resist quoting you. Apology in advance. I guess its a bit like getting a bag full of the right colored balls in the lottery... same same but different

I love the LOS for this very reason...... and would have it no ther way :D

I suppose quote.....

"I will say though, that to facilitate the process expoditiously, all matters were discussed over a fine lunch and drinks for the entire staff of 6 at the Sasadee office, and a fax machine was donated to the office so that my papers could be processed in one trip/afternoon rather than over 3 weeks).

.....is mentioned in the official rules. :o Sorry Samran could not resist quoting you. Apology in advance. I guess its a bit like getting a bag full of the right colored balls in the lottery... same same but different

I love the LOS for this very reason...... and would have it no ther way :D

ya got me!

I guess my main point is though (still), is that if you do read the rules you can use them to your advantage, rather than just simply paying money under the table.

For me, it is important, firstly (as much as you can be here) ethically, but also from the perspective that doing it by the book (and my expemption certificate comes with a letter stating the clause that expempts me) means that I'm not hostage to anyones whims at a later point in life - at least on this issue.

I reckon a lot of under the table money in Thailand - at least at lower levels - come from not knowing your rights on certain issues.

No-one has raised the moral question about this, and I mean moral question in that why should you be trying to avoid military service for your country. My son has Thai and UK nationality and I would not be happy if he took 'dubious' steps to avoid doing his duty. He might not agree with me :o

Simon