Authentic Cajun Food

intoxicajun

Now that I have your taste buds going!

My mother is retiring and is a Louisiana Certified Gourmet Cook and she has recipes that will honestly make you take back things you didn't steal!

In this forums opinion, would a Cajun Food Resturant work in Phuket? Nothing fancy like the jazzerant or Green Man, but just plain old bada$$ Cajun food.

I.e.:

Seafood Gumbo

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Chicken and Sausage Ettoffee

Red Beans and Rice...

Andouie Sausage

Pan Pare Doux

I mean seriously delicious Cajun Food prepared by a Award winning Cook?

I would just like to know if anyone of you would think it would be a good alternative to German, British and Thai places.

Ofcourse, Gerd would eat for free!

My mother is retiring and is a Louisiana Certified Gourmet Cook and she has recipes that will honestly make you take back things you didn't steal!

In this forums opinion, would a Cajun Food Resturant work in Phuket? Nothing fancy like the jazzerant or Green Man, but just plain old bada$$ Cajun food.

I.e.:

Seafood Gumbo

Red Beans and Rice...

Andouie Sausage

Pan Pare Doux

I would just like to know if anyone of you would think it would be a good alternative to German, British and Thai places.

Bring it on...and don't forgot the tacos, wraps and delicious healthy salads. Oh, and did I mention a fresh juice bar too? I seriously had a conversation today with a group of local investors who are looking for good ideas.

Good ideas are my specialty - now there's an idea!!! :o

khall eats for free too?

khall eats for free too?

KHALL eats for free too. If he can invite those investors to the following.

She arrives on 16 Oct. and my plan is to have a big cook up and free tasting of the above mentioned dishes at a place to be announced. (any ideas on locations would be appreciated).

Joining us will be invited guests from Thaivisa (Donna ofcourse...) and the renowned Executive Chef, Ryan J. Waddell, formerly of The Green Man, along with a few other guests from Pattaya and Bangkok.

Look for details soon to come.

khall eats for free too?

KHALL eats for free too. If he can invite those investors to the following.

She arrives on 16 Oct. and my plan is to have a big cook up and free tasting of the above mentioned dishes at a place to be announced. (any ideas on locations would be appreciated).

Joining us will be invited guests from Thaivisa (Donna ofcourse...) and the renowned Executive Chef, Ryan J. Waddell, formerly of The Green Man, along with a few other guests from Pattaya and Bangkok.

Look for details soon to come.

KHALL is she... and She has the perfect location!

Please, do not compare yourself to the grease spoons known as Green Man and Jazztaurant (both expensive and greasy). Cajun is in a style all of its own. Real LA food would be very welcomed by the expats here. Cajun food is renowned worldwide, but very few good places exist outside of LA, much less outside of USA.

forgot:

Chicken or Shrimp (prawn) Jambalaya

Dirty Rice

Boudin

Cracklins

Black-eyed Peas!

you get the point....

Don't forget the crawfish!!! (I know it says "From: Texas" over there on the left but I was born and raised in New Orleans and went to school in Lafayette)

Edited by dclaryjr

Can you get real filet (ground sassafrass) in Thailand? Andouille? Boudin? I've been looking all over.

Crawdaddies would be mighty good, too...

We're thinking about doing some Cajun at the Sandwich Shoppe. My Grandpa was Cajun ("Acadee" he always said) and I grew up with great bayou cookin'.

On a completely unrelated note, the seafood restaurant near the main intersection in Kathu has a black pepper red snapper that's all most as good as K-Paul's blackened redfish. Not quite the same, admittedly, but remarkably close, and very good.

Can you get real filet (ground sassafrass) in Thailand? Andouille? Boudin? I've been looking all over.

Crawdaddies would be mighty good, too...

We're thinking about doing some Cajun at the Sandwich Shoppe. My Grandpa was Cajun ("Acadee" he always said) and I grew up with great bayou cookin'.

On a completely unrelated note, the seafood restaurant near the main intersection in Kathu has a black pepper red snapper that's all most as good as K-Paul's blackened redfish. Not quite the same, admittedly, but remarkably close, and very good.

First, let me cler something up really quick:

Blackened is NOT Cajun food. It ws the discovery by the Famous Cajun Chef, Paul Prudhome. He discovered it by pure laziness and arrogance. He was so fat that he had to sit in a chair while he cooked. He let some catfish burn and let it go. Everyone tasted it, and it was a smash success. Or so the story goes. Blackened is just burnt, but it ain't Cajun.

The recipes we will serve as our base menu Items will be from my great grandmother and grandmother, most are hnd written and in Cajun French. Most of the items that are mainstream Cajun will be served, but we will have an Exec. Chef on hand to cook under the close supervision of my mother.

As for File' and Boudin, file' will be shipped in along with other spices from our distributor in Louisiana, and our Boudin will be my Grandfathers recipe, which can be found at the Butcher shop in Lockport, Louisiana on the way to Grand Isle. We will have Cajun Boils from special family recipes which will give boiled Crabs, Prawns, and Crawfish a whole new meaning. Andoullie Sausage will be made fresh here in Thailand.

As far as seasonings and spices, my mother has Stateside distributors so all of the food will be authentic.

There will be Mardi Gras parties, Chank-a-Chank dance lessons, Crawfish boils, Crab Boils, Chef Specials, fresh Boudin, and Zeydeco Music in the juke box.

The one thing about Cajun food is there is always plenty. Cajuns believe that hospitality is number one. My mother will be on hand during dinner to explain, brag, or just out right run her mouth. It will be a nice break from the current choices currently available in the Phuket Market.

We Hope to see yall there!

More to come!

From time to time we see many ideas for businesses on thai forums. Usually they boil down to `hey I`ve got a great idea, I want to open a bar/internet shop/guesthouse, etc` :o

My view has always been not to try a business in thailand unless you have;

1. Expertise in the field

2. An idea that is not easily copied

3. A gap in the market

I think you have all 3 in spades. Go for it! :D

all this talk of food is making me hungry!

being a mod does have its perks doesnt it!

be aware that i am in pre-opening for a new hotel so will be very busy from now until the end of peak season i guess, but i will hopefully get a night off to enjoy this shindig!

From time to time we see many ideas for businesses on thai forums. Usually they boil down to `hey I`ve got a great idea, I want to open a bar/internet shop/guesthouse, etc` :o

My view has always been not to try a business in thailand unless you have;

1. Expertise in the field

2. An idea that is not easily copied

3. A gap in the market

I think you have all 3 in spades. Go for it! :D

add in a bloody good lawyer and a truck load of money and you may be able to afford to have a crack at it!

I'm happy to hear this. No offense to anyone, but if I want the usual bland offerings of western style restos such as bad pasta or overcooked fish and the like, I can make it myself. Cajun food has zing and a unique bite. Made right, it's an exotic orgasm of the tastebuds. If I look at my thai friends that dump a ton of chili and then pepper and then hot sauce on their food, they won't turn up their wee little snobby noses when greeted with the seductive aroma of a jambalaya. All you will need is a few take out specials directed at the Thais and you will hook them.

Ok, sorry, to be pushy, but how soon, until I can have something tasty in my belly?

Merci.

I have serious doubts you could have a successful Cajun restauarant anywhere in Thailand, except Chiang Mai of course. :o

I know of two. Bourbon Street in Bangkok and New Orleans Cafe in Pattaya. :D

Ulysses G., if you look again at his post, you'll see the "whistling" smiley face and I would assume that he was wishing they would open the place in Chiang Mai instead of Phukett. :D

I.e.:

Seafood Gumbo

Red Beans and Rice...

Andouie Sausage

Pan Pare Doux

Let me know when you open!!!!! fantastic Idea, you will be packed!

• 1 month later...
I thought blakened fish was because of the cracked black pepper that the fish is coated with, then fried?

Not because it's burnt.

Actually,

In blackening, both sides of the food are coated with a spice mixture and then seared in a white hot cast iron skillet with little or no fat. The burned spices form a crust that seals in the natural juices while creating a nice texture and a spicy bite to the food. Also the colour of the spice is red to start out with and contains just a small amount of finely ground black pepper.

I thought blakened fish was because of the cracked black pepper that the fish is coated with, then fried?

Not because it's burnt.

Actually,

In blackening, both sides of the food are coated with a spice mixture and then seared in a white hot cast iron skillet with little or no fat. The burned spices form a crust that seals in the natural juices while creating a nice texture and a spicy bite to the food. Also the colour of the spice is red to start out with and contains just a small amount of finely ground black pepper.

Curse you, now you went and made me hungry again.