One-2-Go OG269 Jet Crashes At Phuket International Airport

simon43

BBC breaking news

Plane crashes in Thailand resort

A plane has crashed while trying to land in bad weather at the Thai resort of Phuket, an aviation official says.

The plane crashed after hitting the runway heavily in strong winds and heavy rain.

Aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan said it was unclear if there were any casualties.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just took a walk to the end of the runway, adjacent to the sea. I'm not sure but it looks like the plane was coming in from the sea. It has crashed to the left side of the runway, (looking from the sea end). The plane seems to have crashed right at the base of the small hill adjacent to the airport.

From my viewpoint by the sea, I can see very little, just many red flashing lights and some smoke. Too far to take a photo.

Not a good day for Phuket and my condolences are with those involved in this accident.

Simon

AP:

BANGKOK, Thailand - An Orient Thai Airways jet crashed and broke in two as it attempted to land in heavy rain at the Phuket airport in southern Thailand on Sunday, the Air Transport Authority of Thailand told The Associated Press.

ADVERTISEMENT

Chaisak Angsuwan, director general of the transport authority, told the AP by telephone that he believes "there are people dead, but the number is still unclear."

Maj. Gen. Deecha Butnamphet, police chief in Phuket, said on local television station TITV that "we believe that there are many people who are dead. We are taking the dead and injured out from the scene.

"The airplane is completely destroyed and inflamed," he said.

TITV reported 60 dead, but Chaisak could not confirm that. He said at least 20 people on the plane were seriously injured.

It wasn't immediately known how many passengers were on board, though TITV reported without citing a source that there were 123 mostly foreign passengers on the jet, which was traveling from Bangkok to Phuket, a popular resort area for tourists.

Earlier, Angsuwan had told TITV that there was heavy rain when flight OG269 attempted to make a landing.

"The visibility was poor as the pilot attempted to land. He decided to make a go-around but the plane lost balance and crashed. It was torn into two parts," he said.

Pictures on Channel 7 now.

When this plane was trying to land, it had been raining heavily here for some time. But suddenly there was a ferocious squall for about 10 minutes. I think that's exactly when the plane crashed. This squall was very sudden and with some strong winds. (I'm about 600 metres from the airport)

Simon

Tragic, and just think how many people here have done that exact same flight.

I have... several times :o

and many more will do...........

Just think how many times you are on a road where so many lost their life in car crash.....

Still I feel safer in a planer than in a car

Dozens feared dead in Phuket plane crash

Number of dead not yet confirmed, but likely to be over 80

PHUKET: -- An airliner exploded and broke in two after it slid off the runway and crashed into nearby walls at Phuket airport on Sunday afternoon.

Some reports put the death toll at about 60, but this has yet to be confirmed. The nationalities of those onboard is also unknown, but Phuket is a highly popular destination for overseas tourists.

Civil aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan said, "the airplane asked to land but due to the weather in Phuket -- strong wind and heavy rain -- maybe the pilot did not see the runway clearly."

"The plane then fell onto the runway and broke into two. It is expected that there will be deaths."

"We are rescuing people from the aircraft ... we know now there were 123 passengers and five crew," he told the news channel.

"We won't know what really happened until we hear the black box."

The airliner services Bangkok-Phuket flights six times a week. The ill-fated airline left Don Muang airport at about 2.30pm.

Information now coming in said the plane, which was being used by local budget travel company, One-to-Go Airline, had 123 passengers and five crew.

The aircraft, flight number OG 269, landed at Phuket airport at about 3.40pm from Bangkok and was taxiing along the runway when it went into a slide. Phuket had earlier been hit by heavy rains.

It crashed into trees and walls surrounding the airport.

Eye-witnesses said the impact of the crash caused the plane to break in two and they heard a series of explosions.

Rescue teams and navy personnel rushed to the scene.

--The Nation 2007-09-16

20 to 30 taken to hospitals and 50 confirmed deaths so far , not all the bodies have been removed from the plane yet.

the pictures on tv from the crash site look bad.

the plane is broken up into 2 or 3 segments in a hollow between the runway and a high embankment at the base of a hill.

the roof has burnt through ,and the wreckage is still smoking. its very sad to see.

I aways afraid to fly with them. I have seen them cannibalizing Boeing planes at U-tapao airport. And the fact that children are working in one two go and Air Asia do not help the survival rate either. rather pay double with Thai.

123 aboard, according the BBC most people have been killed.

Passenger jet with 123 on board crashes in southern Thailand

16 Sep 2007, 1607 hrs IST,AFP

snip

"The airplane asked to land but due to the weather in Phuket -- strong wind and heavy rain -- maybe the pilot did not see the runway clearly," civil aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan told TiTV news channel.

"The plane then fell onto the runway and broke into two. It is expected that there will be deaths."

"We are rescuing people from the aircraft ... we know now there were 123 passengers and five crew," he told the news channel.

"We won't know what really happened until we hear the black box." Aviation officials and police in the area were not immediately available to confirm the accident.

indiatimes.com

Ex GF flew 1-2-Go last Thursday DMK-HKT. Rain was very hard at that time too. She said they circled above Phuket airport for almost an hour before landing and everyone was freaked out.

This was last week, but circumstances seem similar. What makes Phuket a hard place to land?

Tragic, and just think how many people here have done that exact same flight.

I have... several times :o

Our family holds platinum cards with one2go and one member of our family usually takes that flight at least twice a month. We're counting our lucky stars now it wasn't today.