Villa Market

naka

• 2 weeks later...
Several off topic posts have been deleted.

In response to the op, Villa will open their doors for business on 28 Setpember and celebrate an official Grand Opening on 6 October, 2007

I heard 10am tomorrow and then 24/7 from then on.

How many coffee shops are there in that development?

Cheers

Where abouts on 2nd road exactly is this new Store, please? Ill definately be checking it out tomorrow. Have heard lots about it but dont know where abouts it is.. :o

In The Avenue. Where the new Mickey D's is and the Major cineplex.

I believe between soi's 12 and 13 but on the opposite side.

Cheers

I read that "Micky D's", when describing "McDonald's", is a term that so-called "African-Americans" use. Can anyone confirm this? Example:

African American #1: Hey, can you tell me how to get to Micky D's?

African American #2: Sure, go down MLK Boulevard til you get to the check-cashing place, turn right, you'll see three liquor stores... Micky D's is right there, next to the "Ultra Clutch" hair straightening place..."

Also, not sure if it has the "e" in the spelling or not.

I read that "Micky D's", when describing "McDonald's", is a term that so-called "African-Americans" use. Can anyone confirm this? Example:

African American #1: Hey, can you tell me how to get to Micky D's?

African American #2: Sure, go down MLK Boulevard til you get to the check-cashing place, turn right, you'll see three liquor stores... Micky D's is right there, next to the "Ultra Clutch" hair straightening place..."

Also, not sure if it has the "e" in the spelling or not.

You mean the one next to the crack house or housing project?

Lots of good stuff there. I almost bought some italian sausage, but it was frozen. If I can find it there fresh I'm on it like red, white and green on pasta.

friendship now has non-frozen italian sausages.

i think personally this villa market is better than the rest. the service is second to none. friendly, very helpful, and also very polite.

when i went to the check out, a fella come up to me took my basket out of my hands and held it until it was my turn. not sure if that will keep up, but i couldnt believe it.

pricewise, its fine. as with all supermarkets you win and lose.

over all 9/10

Lots of good stuff there. I almost bought some italian sausage, but it was frozen. If I can find it there fresh I'm on it like red, white and green on pasta.

Frozen sausage, what is that?

I was there today.

Not too impressed really!

Shelfs were bare as if not quite ready to open OR already sold out of stock!

Very expensive for some things and ok for others!

Oh well lets see how long this post lasts!!

begs

Maybe we need to cut them a little slack since they haven't even had their grand opening yet. What you may have seen was the sneak preview. Most of the reports I have heard have been positive.

I hope their store is better than their web site.

Perhaps I missed something, but it doesn't really seem to offer a lot of information -- nothing about store hours (or when it's officially opening); there's no weekly flier to look at (like Carrefour has on their web site) and the online shopping section appears to offer only a couple of dozen items.

Finally, it doesn't even tell us if Grape Nuts (which seems to be a hot topic in this tread) is available and what the price is. 555

Edited by pattyboy

I hope their store is better than their web site.

Perhaps I missed something, but it doesn't really seem to offer a lot of information -- nothing about store hours (or when it's officially opening); there's no weekly flier to look at (like Carrefour has on their web site) and the online shopping section appears to offer only a couple of dozen items.

Finally, it doesn't even tell us if Grape Nuts (which seems to be a hot topic in this tread) is available and what the price is. 555

Their website is pretty poor.

AFAIK they will be open 24/7.

Cheers

I was there today.

Shelfs were bare as if not quite ready to open OR already sold out of stock!

Very expensive for some things and ok for others!

Oh well lets see how long this post lasts!!

begs

I agree with you.! There seem to be a little too many people standing around

trying to be overly nice which lets face has to be paid for by someone - i.e. us

the customers :o

Some items do seem expensive and when you think how high the THB is at the moment

the profit margins must be more than healthy!

I like the new Villa. Some of the items are priced laughably high but nobody is making us buy anything. I am amused that people are paying 5 dollars for a can of soup, but whatever. Got my grapenuts so I am a happy camper. I noticed they actually have a sale on Ben and Jerry's, a token sale but better than nothing.

I agree about the comment about too many smiling people greeting you and doing nothing. I don't want to pay extra for that! There is no such thing in the Bangkok stores, hopefully this is just an opening time period gimmick. It does not enhance the shopping experience to have to navigate past so many of the smilathais to get to your groceries. I even noticed some of them not subtly eyeing my purchases, kind of creepy! I don't want to have to dress up to buy a tomato!

All in all, happy to have the option. However, will still have to shop all the other expat stores in town to get the specific things I want at a the best price.

Been there three times already, what a pleasant change from Tops.

Very friendly staff.

Great fruit/vegetable selection including 'real' albeit expensive potatos.

Good fresh breads and a huge cheese selection.

Unfortunately no good steaks, e.g. Aussie/US chilled beef, just the local stuff,

so still need to go to Foodland for that :o

Declined the Grape Nuts though, never heard of it before Tv, but reading the label

it looks like something that people with "potty problems" might choose to eat. :D

Naka.

I was there today.

begs

Just for comparison, which supermarket does impress you?

Cheers

We tend to shop between Friendship and Foodland for different items. Will probably add Villa to that for shopping.

But since I detest shopping I couldn't really say that any supermarket imresses me. Bit like watching paint dry...really exciting..can't wait to go the next shopping outing with the better half! :D

I've come to the conclusion that I visit a bar for some liquid refreashment whilst the wife enjoys herself doing what needs to be done. :o

begs