France Visa For Thai National

My wife (Thai national) and I are planning a trip to France in September, and I was wondering if any TV members had tips on the best way to approach the visa application process for her.

I've already printed out the Schengen visa application form provided by Thailand's French embassy online.

Has anyone else had experience obtaining a Schengen visa for a Thai wife or friend?

Also any comments on whether it's better to apply at the embassy in BKK or the French consulate attached to the Alliance Francaise in Chiang Mai?

Thanks.

Thanks, Bluecat. At which consulat or embassy did you submit the Schengen visa application? Also, I'm not sure I understand the part about "a sponsor letter (one official sponsor letter signed by the consul, i.e. one stamped one)". Who is the sponsor?

Thanks, Bluecat. At which consulat or embassy did you submit the Schengen visa application? Also, I'm not sure I understand the part about "a sponsor letter (one official sponsor letter signed by the consul, i.e. one stamped one)". Who is the sponsor?

Bluecat is on sick leave, so I will answer for him.

It was at the Belgian Embassy.

He actually submitted first a sponsor letter signed by him but it was not enough.

They wanted an official one and gave him another form to fill up and asked him another 500 Baht for it :o .

But on the form, it is just plain the same, you have to acknowledge the fact that you will take care of your girlfriend while in Europe.

When applying for a Schengen Visa, you should either apply at the embassy of the Schengen country you're going to first, or the country you'll be spending most time in.

i.e. If you're only going to France, don't apply at the Belgian embassy.

I got one for my wife a few years ago, but from the French embassy in London (where we were living at the time). If you're an EU citizen with enough funds for the trip, a tourist visa for your wife should basically be a rubber-stamping process.

UNLESS they think you're likely to stay...

i.e. If this is her first Visa to Europe/US, then they may ask more questions.

Similarly, if you've only been married for a short time, or you have no reason (such as a job) to return to Thailand.

But - married couple - with sufficient funds for the trip - and a reason for coming back to Thailand, should have no issues so long as all the forms are filled out correctly, and nobody has a criminal record or anything that would come up as a red flag on the computer.