What Would You Do ?

Sunbelt Asia

What would you do?

Get a call from my wife. Some clown started a fire at one of my restaurants in the Nana area this morning at 4 a.m. The police have him and his friend in jail and they claim to know me from the Thaivisa forum, Both have no passport and no name so no idea who he is. My wife wants to press charges. On one hand I know a prank like this could of gotten haywire very fast with people dieing,on the other hand it seems they were drunk and were laughing as they lit the display. My understanding is no big damage.

I would hope, friends of mine don't go around endangering lives of other people. Guess when he is no longer drunk, he'll tell his name, now its my name is " No name"

Then what do I do when he sings another tune.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you do?

Get a call from my wife. Some clown started a fire at one of my restaurants in the Nana area this morning at 4 a.m. The police have him and his friend in jail and they claim to know me from the Thaivisa forum, Both have no passport and no name so no idea who he is. My wife wants to press charges. On one hand I know a prank like this could of gotten haywire very fast with people dieing,on the other hand it seems they were drunk and were laughing as they lit the display. My understanding is no big damage.

I would hope, friends of mine don't go around endangering lives of other people. Guess when he is no longer drunk, he'll tell his name, now its my name is " No name"

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Your wife is right on the money Greg. Hang the bastards. Arson ain't a misdemeanor.

What would you do?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I don't claim to be the most religious person in the world, but I do believe that forgiveness comes after penance, not before.

Some may view it as a fine line between a prank and malicious behavior, but as others have suggested, there is no fine line between a prank and a felonious act.

Glad to hear there was no serious damage or personal injury.

The guy does something extremely irresponsible and now will not even provide his name. Even if he's your best buddy online, would you now feel comfortable lending him your car for the day, or letting him take your kids fishing with his kids?

Time for this guy to start acting like an adult.

So who's missing on the forums today? *scanning around suspiciously* ;-)

Considering it funny to light up a display in a restaurant is weird enough - but then claiming the owner being a "friend" makes them look like complete idiots...

Good to hear that it didn't go out of control and damage is not too big.

I'd give them no more slack than if they'd come in with a gun shooting around randomly- in fact, they'd probably have had more control over the gun than over a fire.

Unless this is no more than a napkin-in-the-ashtray kind of affair, I agree with the others that this is time for hard consequences.

"S"

I surprised that such an act as this even requires a decision being made by you. In most cases, the police would automatically press charges and the only recourse you would have is to help the poor bloke out with the judge, if you chose too.

At a minimum, he's not cooperating with the police, doesn't have his passport....I think he's more trouble than he's worth and everyone would be a little safer if he were in a confined area.

I am surprised people aren't landing all over you...Why are you open at 4 a.m.? You should be closed, your breaking the law! Were you serving alcohol? Why do you allow smoking (lighters, matches in your place of business!) etc. etc. Not my idea, however, it's always nice to be able to get a bite to eat at that time of the morning.

I am surprised people aren't landing all over you...Why are you open at 4 a.m.? You should be closed, your breaking the law! Were you serving alcohol? Why do you allow smoking (lighters, matches in your place of business!) etc. etc. Not my idea, however, it's always nice to be able to get a bite to eat at that time of the morning.

just a few assumptions there..... :o

Damage was limited to the 5 foot display poster. My only concern was how it could of been worse as we all know how fast fire can spread. Just a couple guys acting like little boys.

Whats crazy, he still has not given his name.

By the way, before we've had a large glass window broken when a Thai girl threw a high heel at a ex and missed. Glass everywhere.

On two different occasions, glass doors were broken when the guy slamed it.

Once a guy attempted to steal the cash regster when the stff member was in the back getting something out of the fridge, Broke the cash register when he dropped it, running out the door.

and now a fire.

The adventures of being open 24 hours.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Who said its illegal to have a restaurant open 24 hours? It's not!

In your idea, you are suppose to not allow someone that has a lighter in their pocket in your business? If so, that means have a staff member search everyone at the door?

Noone ever smokes in our restaurants.

No alcohol was served and in fact the beer in the display fridge had white paper over it covering that shelf.

Any other idea why I was the cause?

They know you from Tv but are they friend or foe?

No idea but many people claim they know me. I'm kinda hard to miss as I'm so little. :o

www.sunbeltasiagroupcom

Who said its illegal to have a restaurant open 24 hours? It's not!

In your idea, you are suppose to not allow someone that has a lighter in their pocket in your business? If so, that means have a staff member search everyone at the door?

Noone ever smokes in our restaurants.

No alcohol was served and in fact the beer in the display fridge had white paper over it covering that shelf.

Any other idea why I was the cause?

I think his post had two helpings of irony included.

Cheers

What would you do?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

<deleted> em, press charges and make them pay... 'friends' dont go lighting fires in other friends establishments... they are scum and should be brought to justice for their actions

These sort of idiots are also the type that find it funny to go along snapping off car ariels, don't give a **** about other peoples property. as long as they have a laugh of course they'll be sorry about it this morning, but only because their sitting in a cell.

If they were really your friends & they just f**ked up in a moment of madness they would have contacted you by now to make amends for their actions.....

Nope, somebody burns my business I am going to be asking for repairs made and a hefty amount of compensation on top of that - or they can stay in the cell & the police & courts can deal with them.

You do have the choice as to whether to press charges or not..... - Why am I writing this - you're the lawyer! :o

Soundman.

PS. Glad to hear the damage was minimal.

My wife and/or I own only restaurants. Five of the 18 restaurants are open 24 hours on Sukhumvit Rd and one is open 24 hours on Khao San Rd.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Greg , maybe it's just a jealous guy, who doesn't have 18 Restaurants, of which 5 are open 24 hours on Sukhumvit and one is open 24 hours in KSR.

Some people are strange like that.

Edited by Maigo6

What would you do?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thai or farang? :o

What would you do?

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thai or farang? :o

Few Thais would be expected to carry passports.