Something For The Life Of Me I Just Can't Understand Too

meemiathai

I have never felt that using the term 'Farang' is derogatory. I often use the word myself when talking to Thais to easily describe a foreigner.

The word is used in a neutral term so no offence is meant. If it was prefixed by a desultory word then that would be a different matter entirely.

So I am not sure where you get this idea from.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the word farang actually comes from "foreigner". I don't buy the bastardisation of the word "French" . I think the farang fruit is more apt to be part of the term since we are rather fruity as humans.

As far as derogatory usage, "Farang" can certainly be used disparagingly. I once had a evil Thai girl here in the US venomously call me a farang. She was really ting tong...tossed around by too many farang I believe.

Edited by papaya9

As we all know all foreigners with light skin are ferangs. When i was a child in England people would often refer to anyone speaking a foreign language as simply a foriegner. "The woman over the road is married to a foreigner" The world was a bigger place then. Now people will say "he is a German" or "she is an Italian" - only small minded or ignorant types would generalise by saying foreigner.

Maybe in 40 years Thais will have evolved to this point. (Bit late really as we are to be known as europeans - with the exeption of satanists, sorry americans)

As we all know all foreigners with light skin are ferangs. When i was a child in England people would often refer to anyone speaking a foreign language as simply a foriegner. "The woman over the road is married to a foreigner" The world was a bigger place then. Now people will say "he is a German" or "she is an Italian" - only small minded or ignorant types would generalise by saying foreigner.

Maybe in 40 years Thais will have evolved to this point. (Bit late really as we are to be known as europeans - with the exeption of satanists, sorry americans)

Sorry but you don't even know the meaning of the word. Not to mention knowing if it is derogatory.

You can be local but farang. In the UK you will all be farang. :o

The word farang has no relevance of the word foreigner.

Edited by meemiathai

Sorry but you don't even know the meaning of the word. Not to mention knowing if it is derogatory.

You can be local but farang. In the UK you will all be farang. :o

The word farang has no relevance of the word foreigner.

Well if most foreigners believe or understand ferang to mean foreigner then that is what it means - and has come to mean. Words mean what people believe them to mean. Pedanticaly you may be correct - but ask most ferangs and they will understand it as meaning foreigner.

Why do westerners insist on saying the word "farang" is derogatory even after living long time in Thailand?

I don't :D

farang! farang! farang! :D

:D

And if you were an up-country kid on his push-bike, I'd be laughing at shouting back "Khon Thai! Khon Thai! Khon Thai!" :o

:D

farang is a word for westerners used by all thai's ,originally comes from the word for french ,the first westerners to come to thailand ,personally i use it when speaking to thai;s ,but westerners or tourist when speaking to non thai's ,to a thai most westerners look the same ,and dont understand the many different accents spoken by different countries ,they dont mean any offence when they call you a farang............... farang is a word for westerners used by all thai's ,originally comes from the word for french ,the first westerners to come to thailand ,personally i use it when speaking to thai;s ,but westerners or tourist when speaking to non thai's ,to a thai most westerners look the same ,and dont understand the many different accents spoken by different countries ,they dont mean any offence when they call you a farang..............
There is no way a Thai who was looking for a stranger's attention would yell out 'mueng' unless he was picking a fight.

guys..you are so right about it.

i guess, you know los very well....respect :o

Farang is fine when used in the right way, but I think it can also be used in quite a small minded way. I dislike the word when it becomes a nationality - eg " I dont speak farang (meaning English) very well", and this is from Uni educated people. As if farangs are all the same , speak the same language have the same culture etc.

AMAZING THAILAND

A German boards a plane in Europe and he is a Kraut which is a vegetable.

When he disembarks in Thailand he is a farang which is a fruit.

What is he during the flight? Some sort of hybrid?

Answers on a postcard please to the Royal Horticultural Society.

:o love it.

Who, besides you, is still debating this? The word "farang" is clearly comparable to the word "nigger":

"A neutral noun in the 17th century, nigger had, by 1830, become an 'influential' insult." (from the Amazon.com review of "Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word")

Sorry, this is just not so. It is in no way comparable to the 'N' word as it is sometimes referred to. Only a silly farang nitwit would think so. I wonder what other weird ideas you have about Thai, Thais, and Thailand??

Farang, nigger, kaffir, coolie all used to be acceptable. A very long time ago.....

But we excuse the Thai for not evolving... I wonder why.... :o

Edited by OlRedEyes

It's just like if you go to the UK, many people will refer to anyone oriental looking as 'Chinks' or 'Spring Links'.

Ie. Are you going to the spring links after the pub. (Are you going to the chinese takeaway after the pub) or, Are you going for a chinkys after the pub. Same meaning as the first.

Nobody means any offence by it but it could be costrued as being insulting.

Personaly i like the term 'Chinaman' but apparently thats not PC either.

Yeah we should go the whole dumb PC way and call ourselves "Earth Inhabitants" :o

In Australia "they" were (politely; there were many less polite terms) referred to as foreigners or migrants, and at one point "New Australians" ( a term Dame Edna seized on with glee ... she liked to claim they loved "colour and movement" :o ).

I think the word farang actually comes from "foreigner". I don't buy the bastardisation of the word "French" . I think the farang fruit is more apt to be part of the term since we are rather fruity as humans.

As far as derogatory usage, "Farang" can certainly be used disparagingly. I once had a evil Thai girl here in the US venomously call me a farang. She was really ting tong...tossed around by too many farang I believe.

If that is who I think it is in your avatar, she calls her daddy a farang.

My ex politically correct Mrs scalded me for using the term Eskimo, as unbeknown to me it is now a racist word.

Now i have never met an ESKIMO i have never had any ill thoughts towards an ESKIMO i only wish ESKIMOS peace and happiness, however as i will alsways call ESKIMOS, ESKIMOS in the eyes of some cnuts i am racist towards them.

I will be offended if Thais cant call me a Farang due to the middle class ideals of what can and cant be said.

BTW, the moment this thread is read by a mod it will be closed down.

It was an obvious attempt by the OP to stir up negative racial comments.

Shame on him.

C'mon, leave him be. I rush to open everything he posts. Keep it up OP. Very amusing.

:o

Actually my friends who are Iranian are called farang which is why I find it offensive because its used on occasion in such an ignorant pig s%$t manner.