Something For The Life Of Me I Just Can't Understand Too

meemiathai

Why do westerners insist on saying the word "farang" is derogatory even after living long time in Thailand?

Is it because in the west people hate each other so much that they like to think of everything being offensive as long as it is not a praise?

Do they have a learning disability?

I find westerners take offense easily, don't they?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do westerners insist on saying the word "farang" is derogatory even after living long time in Thailand?

Is it because in the west people hate each other so much that they like to think of everything being offensive as long as it is not a praise?

farang is a word for westerners used by all thai's ,originally comes from the word for french ,the first westerners to come to thailand ,personally i use it when speaking to thai;s ,but westerners or tourist when speaking to non thai's ,to a thai most westerners look the same ,and dont understand the many different accents spoken by different countries ,they dont mean any offence when they call you a farang...............

Maybe because, say in the UK, some people use the word foreigner as a derogatory term. Usually put as 'bloody foreigners'.

And your word for (western) foreigner is farang.

Your first question is interesting, the rest offended me....And now I hate you.

farang is a word for westerners used by all thai's ,originally comes from the word for french ,the first westerners to come to thailand ,personally i use it when speaking to thai;s ,but westerners or tourist when speaking to non thai's ,to a thai most westerners look the same ,and dont understand the many different accents spoken by different countries ,they dont mean any offence when they call you a farang...............

I thought that old cherry about it coming from word for French, "Falangset" had been dead and buried years ago?

Or do you mean "Franks" ?

Then what about the arab word for "Trader" or foreigner?

http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/4/4-459.html

BTW - the Portugese were in Thailand before the French as were the Dutch too

Edited by Prakanong

Who, besides you, is still debating this? The word "farang" is clearly comparable to the word "nigger":

"A neutral noun in the 17th century, nigger had, by 1830, become an 'influential' insult." (from the Amazon.com review of "Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word")

Some Farang may be offended by the term itself. I know that is a very neutral term based on a root term - the franks - and am not offended by it.

What at times is offensive is the context and intonation in which this term is used by some, and that will receive a suitable response from me.

Yes; I am deeply and easily offended when some person with both of their hands loaded with bags and/or boxes holds the door open for me with their foot. HOW RUDE.

Yes; everybody outside of Thailand has a learning disability...........we are unable to decipher/decode/understand the Thai mentality and the reasoning of the Government ...Lets make it hard for farangs to operate a business here..we don't need them and their expertise...we can all grow rice as we can't do much else.

Who, besides you, is still debating this? The word "farang" is clearly comparable to the word "nigger":

"A neutral noun in the 17th century, nigger had, by 1830, become an 'influential' insult." (from the Amazon.com review of "Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word")

Sorry, this is just not so. It is in no way comparable to the 'N' word as it is sometimes referred to. Only a silly farang nitwit would think so. I wonder what other weird ideas you have about Thai, Thais, and Thailand??

Just look at the response and see why I started this thread!

Unbelievable stupidity!

Keep them going and see how stupid they can be!

Nigger? 555555555 Do you know where thailand is?

Yes, there are some stupid people around, but luckily we have clever, well balanced, and superior people like you to help us through.

Unbelievable stupidity!

Yes, there are some stupid people around, but luckily we have clever, well balanced, and superior people like you to help us through.

It is not that simple. Like mentally ill people often would not seek help.

Unbelievable stupidity!

unfortunately, none of them are available today :o

In order for a word to be neutral, it has to be viewed by people as being neutral and farang isn't viewed that way. As a general term, I have no problem with it--I don't take offense to the taxis that I (heart) farang in the window. I do not, however, like being called a farang--I don't say or do anything about it, but it makes me less than comfortable. Physical traits, especially things which we can't change, aren't a particularly nice way to address people.

It's interesting that if it is a "neutral" word, at the school where I work, students are forbidden from calling teacher farang or using the word. They are punished by the Thai administration if they do it. They are taught to refer to us as "foreign teachers."

Again, it's common here for people to use it and I never make any kind of a big deal about it. I don't find the word offensive--just a little uncomfortable.

In order for a word to be neutral, it has to be viewed by people as being neutral and farang isn't viewed that way. As a general term, I have no problem with it--I don't take offense to the taxis that I (heart) farang in the window. I do not, however, like being called a farang--I don't say or do anything about it, but it makes me less than comfortable. Physical traits, especially things which we can't change, aren't a particularly nice way to address people.

It's interesting that if it is a "neutral" word, at the school where I work, students are forbidden from calling teacher farang or using the word. They are punished by the Thai administration if they do it. They are taught to refer to us as "foreign teachers."

Again, it's common here for people to use it and I never make any kind of a big deal about it. I don't find the word offensive--just a little uncomfortable.

It is far far too general a word to be of any use descriptively, shows a complete ignorance of anyones true roots, and is often used in a dehumanising fashion. It would be similar to classifying Thai's as "South East Asian" which is a completely useless description when one considers how culturally different Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia are in reality.

Shows terrible ignorance to hear people use it I reckon.

Now if you want an awful Thai word, try "kaek".

It is far far too general a word to be of any use descriptively, shows a complete ignorance of anyones true roots, and is often used in a dehumanising fashion. It would be similar to classifying Thai's as "South East Asian" which is a completely useless description when one considers how culturally different Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia are in reality.

I don't know why you consider 'kaek' to be such an awful word, it only means 'guest'.

It is because they have experienced the fuzzyness of farangs and to prevent trouble they just ban it.

And also it is not the most polite thai to speak. If you are high-so you probably do not want to choose to use the word farang.

It's just like if you go to the UK, many people will refer to anyone oriental looking as 'Chinks' or 'Spring Links'.

Ie. Are you going to the spring links after the pub. (Are you going to the chinese takeaway after the pub) or, Are you going for a chinkys after the pub. Same meaning as the first.

Nobody means any offence by it but it could be costrued as being insulting.

Personaly i like the term 'Chinaman' but apparently thats not PC either.

Edited by Acquiesce

I don't know why you consider 'kaek' to be such an awful word, it only means 'guest'.

Well meaning and usage are completely different things aren't they. I have never heard a Thai utter that word without a sneer on their face.

There are a million words in the world with pure literal translations, one of which for example would be k*f**r as non believer, but to use it in every day usage would get you in to a lot of trouble very quickly in most of the civilised world, or are we being niggardly with the truth here? Whoops someone got fired for using that word completely correctly.

No matter what , we can't anyone stop giving any person names , for us 'farang' .

At least it makes us consider when back home to call a man 'china man' for example .

Its all over the world the same , and for me I do understand more now , why people from other origin can feel picky some times .

On the other hand its just like that , and I won't allow myself to get angry at any name giving ,

after all it's all stupidity after all .

:o I think the term Farang cmae from a mis-pronuciation of the words foriegn or foriegner and didn't have anything particularly to do with the French.

But I could be wrong about that.

Isn't it Penang, Malaysia that has a beach known as Batu Feranghi or foriegner's beach? And Wittiyu (or however it's spelled) road in Bangkok, is a mis-pronounciation of the English word Radio (Radio= Wittyu) as it sounded to Thais in the 1930's. (The overseas postal radio telecommunications service was once on that road.)

:D

Well meaning and usage are completely different things aren't they. I have never heard a Thai utter that word without a sneer on their face.

There are a million words in the world with pure literal translations, one of which for example would be k*f**r as non believer, but to use it in every day usage would get you in to a lot of trouble very quickly in most of the civilised world, or are we being niggardly with the truth here? Whoops someone got fired for using that word completely correctly.

Absolutely agree, if someone doesn't care, it just means they haven't lived here long enough to understand !!! And since even the niggers themselves(oupss..farangs) do not mind it's use, than all i can say IS OH VERYVERY SAD !!..

And what do you think of 'khek', don't you newbies know that it is used on 2nd-3rd generation thai citizens of indian origin !!

With the attitudes like this,must be silly to complain about visa restrictions & being priced out of the country "dear guests"

:o

:o I think the term Farang cmae from a mis-pronuciation of the words foriegn or foriegner and didn't have anything particularly to do with the French.

But I could be wrong about that.

Isn't it Penang, Malaysia that has a beach known as Batu Feranghi or foriegner's beach? And Wittiyu (or however it's spelled) road in Bangkok, is a mis-pronounciation of the English word Radio (Radio= Wittyu) as it sounded to Thais in the 1930's. (The overseas postal radio telecommunications service was once on that road.)

:D

Wittiyu means wireless in Thai.