California Wow Pricing Shenanigans

Jingthing

Think I paid 13.500 baht and have to pay 100 baht every year. Can use the gym in Pattaya and Bangkok, don't know about the rest of the world. Think they called it platinum membership or something.

// Johan

If you really joined then why are you still thinking about how much you paid and what kind of membership you have.It should be written on your receipt and the kind of membership is printed on your membership card.Strange.

Think I paid 13.500 baht and have to pay 100 baht every year. Can use the gym in Pattaya and Bangkok, don't know about the rest of the world. Think they called it platinum membership or something.

// Johan

If you really joined then why are you still thinking about how much you paid and what kind of membership you have.It should be written on your receipt and the kind of membership is printed on your membership card.Strange.

Not following. What is it that's strange?

// Johan

That you are still not sure about how much you paid and which membership you have.I joined and I know how much I paid and which card I got.

// Johan

That you are still not sure about how much you paid and which membership you have.I joined and I know how much I paid and which card I got.

Still?!? Congratulations, then you've got a better memory than I have. If it'll make you happy I'll check my receipt and card when I get home.

// Johan

Still?!? Congratulations, then you've got a better memory than I have. If it'll make you happy I'll check my receipt and card when I get home.

Wasn't too far off; joiner fee 10.280, processing fee 2.336, vat 883 total 13.499 and yearly renewal fee 100. Platinum membership valid at all clubs, all hours excluding yoga and SK31 (whatever that is?!?).

• 3 months later...

I pushed them hard for a bargain, at the end they sent me the 'special lady' for hard to get customers . . .

Got offer for a Black Diamond lifetime membership, all locations except Chiang Mai and Pattaya.

10999 baht, plus 100 baht/year for renewal. They *are* working on commission, so appear interested and give the 'if only it was cheaper I'd say yes' ploy.

They were very very pushy however, which turns me off. They wouldn't even give me a few days to think about it, or I'd lose my 'special price just for you' that I spent 30 minutes bargaining for. Red lights go off in my head when people push for money . . .

Oh and according to wikipedia, everyone in the Korean branch was scammed. I didn't research it though . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Fitness

"Locally franchised branch of California Wow went bankrupt in Korea in April 2008.

According to the Korean news media, the Korean employees had not been paid for the previous three months salary. Members of the gym are banding together to sue the company for membership fees. Approximately 40,000 people were members of the club.

Member have not received any compensation for their memberships, nor does it seem as though they will. The club sold memberships right up until the day they closed."

• 1 month later...

According to the Pattaya press they have been multi charging some peoples credit cards.. Also rumours that they are in financial trouble as have posted a loss for the last two years.. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole... Oh and did I mention the expat manager/owner/whatever in Pattaya is a slime ball ?

Pattaya Daily News - WOW credit card Scam

• 7 months later...

Anytime an independant franchise like this starts pushing so hard to recruit new clients for fees you have to question their long term plans. Alarm bells should be going off with this hard sell. I think Pdaz has it right saying he wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Remember how easy it was to get money before the financial collapse?

Gyms in many countries are notorious for selling lifetime memberships then going out of business and your money just dissappears. Even in countries with good consumer protection laws the loss is usually not enough to warrant hiring a lawyer to try to recover it and they know it. In Thailand just say goodbye to it because it's not worth beating your head against the wall. Remember that the salespeople get paid upfront and the gyms themselves will siphon off these lifetime membership fees before the doors close.

Perhaps people should share what best offers, deals good and bad, they are getting at the new California Wow?

This place is notorious for sharp pricing practices (these guys make baht bus drivers look like saints), shouldn't we all FIGHT BACK?

So, as this new place gets up and running, please share the best offer you were able to get from these characters, whether you took it or not. Please note any relevant details, such as term of plan, open to worldwide gyms, whether you are joining with more than one person, Thai or not, etc.

I guess my concept is that if one person gets a really good deal and we know about it, we will know what is possible and can try to push for that ourselves.

Shenanigans has always been an expensive place in which to eat. It was dear when it was located on the other side of Second Rd as well. Mind you the grub is first class.