Magicjack: Unlimited Calls To U.s. And Canada For $20 A Year

steveb

If you make calls to the U.S. or Canada there is a device called magic jack that connects your phone to your computer and you can make crystal clear calls. $40 dollars for unlimited calls and the second year is $20. Much better than skype. Also people can call you. They only ship inside U.S. but you can have a friend mail it to you or contact the company.

Also if you go to googles' grand central you can make a U.S. number and have your calls forwarded to you. You will need an invitation to register and you need to either use a proxy or have someone in the states do it for you. Great free service. Also someone in the states can call you, leave a voice mail and you can listen to it on grand central website

http://www.magicjack.com

http://www.grandcentral.com

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you make calls to the U.S. or Canada there is a device called magic jack that connects your phone to your computer and you can make crystal clear calls. $40 dollars for unlimited calls and the second year is $20. Much better than skype. Also people can call you. They only ship inside U.S. but you can have a friend mail it to you or contact the company.

Also if you go to googles' grand central you can make a U.S. number and have your calls forwarded to you. You will need an invitation to register and you need to either use a proxy or have someone in the states do it for you. Great free service. Also someone in the states can call you, leave a voice mail and you can listen to it on grand central website

http://www.grandcetral.com

I use VOIP, free calls to US, UK and Thailand, land and mobiles, I never pay for a call

I use VOIP, free calls to US, UK and Thailand, land and mobiles, I never pay for a call

Without the details, (the how, what, where, etc..) your post does absolutely NOTHING for anyone here. If you only want to make smug posts like this one, I suggest you take it elsewhere.

Put up or shut up.

Without the details, (the how, what, where, etc..) your post does absolutely NOTHING for anyone here. If you only want to make smug posts like this one, I suggest you take it elsewhere.

Put up or shut up.

Well excuse me Sir but what gives you the right to tell me what I can or can not post on this PUBLIC forum??

I didn't post the link because I thought it might be against the TOS for this site, as is flaming other fellow members like you just did!

If anyone wants to know simply PM me like most are already doing. I am more than willing to help out my fellow expats.

A little manners is needed from you sir, were you dragged up as a child?

Well excuse me Sir but what gives you the right to tell me what I can or can not post on this PUBLIC forum??

I didn't post the link because I thought it might be against the TOS for this site, as is flaming other fellow members like you just did!

If anyone wants to know simply PM me like most are already doing. I am more than willing to help out my fellow expats.

A little manners is needed from you sir, were you dragged up as a child?

My post was a bit harsh. I should not have been so quick with the fingers and I certainly could have left that last two sentences out. You have my deepest apologies.

But why would you think that posting your VoIP methods or applications might violate forum rules? As long as you're not advocating doing anything illegal, why not post it here for all to see?

• 4 months later...

Got a new tech toy by express mail from the U.S. lately, and just finished installing it and setting it up to my PC, so far with very good results.... It might be of some interest to the folks here.

The device is called Magic Jack, and it's received pretty good reviews from a variety of major media in the U.S. Basically, it's a $39.95 USB device about the size of a small MP3 player (smaller than a pack of cigarettes) that allows the user to plug any regular telephone into the unit and thereby into one's PC using the normal phone plug jacks.

The advantage for folks here in Thailand is the unit/service provides unlimited international calling TO the U.S. and Canada. The service also includes allowing the user to self-select their own U.S. local phone number (choose from most of the major area codes) that people anywhere can call to and then it rings on your computer/Magic Jack unit here and can be answered on the regular telephone you've plugged into the Magic Jack unit.

The $39.95 purchase price includes the unit itself and the first year of calling (free local and domestic long distance for users located inside the U.S. and Canada, and free calling to the U.S. and Canada from those located in other countries.) At present, purchasing a second year of those same calling features is priced at $19.95. When your PC is not turned on, calls made to your Magic Jack number will go to a functioning voicemail system and you'll get an e-mailed notice of the message.

I've installed it and been using it the past two weeks, and usually the call quality is comparable to what one gets with Skype, which is pretty good. Of course, it works best with a broadband connection. I've been using it with a 2 Mbps True DSL line in Bangkok, no problem. The Magic Jack unit comes with its own onboard software, which provides an on-screen dialing menu and phonebook. (That also means you can carry it with you anywhere traveling, and plug it into any broadband equipped PC with USB. It's totally location independent.) But I like just picking up my attached phone and calling (just by dialing the U.S. destination area code and local number) using the regular phone keypad.

But the best part for me has been re-acquiring my own local U.S. phone number, which I gave up when I moved here. Before, it was a hassle because most people back home typically aren't familiar with calling Thailand or how to do it economically (through calling cards and such). Just picking up their home phone and calling here would cost a fortune. And not everyone back home is into computers and setting up Skype accounts and such. Plus, for banking and business purposes, it's very good to have a U.S. local number that can be called to and answered here, even though I'm not there in the U.S. BTW, I chose an area code in Southern California that matches the one for my parents' home, so now they can call me directly from their regular home phone as a local, no toll call for them.

By comparison, getting a local U.S. number through Skype In is $60 a year.

The main downside risk for Magic Jack, I believe, is their calling functionality and phone number assignments are proprietary to the company, which is a relatively recent start-up. So, worst case scenario, if the company goes under at some point in the future, you'd be out the purchase price and/or an annual calling fee. But for $40 and unlimited calling back to the States and having my own local U.S. phone number again, ($40 being about the price of one month's standard U.S. phone service) that's a $40 bet I'm willing to take. Plus, from various accounts, the units are selling very well. And for the record, there's nothing illegal or under the table about this service. Nothing here is sneaking. It's just the latest evolution of Voice Over IP calling.

The unit itself comes with a USB-RJ11 phone jack extension cord that's about 8 inches long, just in case, as was the case with my PC, that plugging the small Magic Jack unit directly into my multi-port USB hub would block an adjoining USB slot. By using the short extension, the unit can easily be plugged into a USB port of any kind/any location in your PC without blocking access to anything nearby.

In terms of installation, it wasn't quite as simple as promised for my Windows XP. But Magic Jack has online chat technical support. So it turned out (something they don't document on their tech support resources on their web site) that I needed to turn down a security setting I had in Internet Explorer (from high to medium) in order to prevent the unit from being blocked. After changing that setting, the unit self-installed nicely and I haven't had any further problems.

For the record, I have nothing to do with this service/company, other than having bought their unit lately.

Their web site (with more info and online purchasing capability) is located here:

Here's a blurb from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/technolo...its/04jack.html

It also garnered an Editors Choice Award from PC Mag:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2250257,00.asp

Re your questions...

1. To make calls, the PC your Magic Jack is connected to must be on. When your PC is off, incoming calls will be picked up by Magic Jack's recorded voicemail, which you can retrieve next time you turn on your PC.

However, I too use a Linksys broadband router behind a True DSL modem. My laptop wireless connections remain on even when my PC is off, but router remains on. However, every time I start my direct connected RJ-45 desktop, I have to use the True dialer to reconnect.

So, it seems, I could plug the Magic Jack into one of my wireless notebooks and it would work even when the desktop is off. But when I turn the desktop off, the Magic Jack/phone attached to it gets no dialtone. I assume that is because the onboard software that's part of the device is not running under that situation.

2. They do say they require DSL, and don't recommend dial-up. I copied this below from their tech support section.

Will magicJack work on dialup internet service? No. Dial up internet service does not provide enough bandwidth for magicJack.

magicJack uses approximately 80 kbps of bandwidth (both upload and download), so you will need at least an ISDN or "Lite" broadband connection.

Note, magicJack-to-magicJack calls may work using Dial up internet service.

Jingthing, I know Vonage from back in the States, but I didn't know you could use it here in LOS... What's the deal about that??? As an aside, last time I checked a couple months ago, they were having financial problems and there was a lot of talk they might go under... Maybe their circs have gotten better since then... --John.

Does your computer have to be on? Does it require DSL? Can it be used on Dialup? I use Vonage attached to my DSL router,so of course as long as the router is on, the computer can be off. Much more expensive that your service but it has been good.

Freitag1, thanks for your comment.

I was already using Skype before I first found out about (and later bought and tried) Magic Jack, which was based on a very good review in the New York Times last November or so. If Magic Jack doesn't make it in the long run, I'm sure I'd go back to using Skype.

But there are a couple of noteworthy differences between the two at present, as follows:

1. All Magic Jack calls from Thailand to the U.S. and Canada are unlimited in time and free of charge. Skype has a modest per minute charge and connection charge, but does have free 800 series calls.

2. Magic Jack includes automatically your own self-selected area code and ensuing local U.S. phone number. Skype allows that thru its Skype In feature, but you're paying I believe $60 a year for that extra feature, which is apart from the additional per minute call charges you'll pay for your use.

3. Skype typically gets used with a headphone/mic set plugged into the computer, or some people go out and buy an IP phone to use with the service. In contrast, Magic Jack allows the use of any standard RJ-11 jack phone, which for me is a nice convenience.

4. I should also mention MJ also is offering a 30 day money back guarantee (minus shipping costs). So when I purchased it, I figured it I didn't like it or it didn't work well here, I'd simply return it at minimal cost. So far, however, I like it very much.

Uhm sounds a bit like Skype? You can't get the unlimited calls but everything else with it.

• 4 months later...

While I do like my MagicJack (check the .com) I have been through the ordering process twice, myself and watching a friend, and I am truly amazed at how sleazy they are!

They push through orders even before you submit them at the final page!

They did this to me and I watched it happen to my friend.

They also present upselling options in illogical order so you don't have the info to make intelligent decisions, and then if you take too long reading the pages, they just push you along to the final ordering screen.

Be warned, once you enter your CC info (at an early screen) their system will push you along without your consent to complete the order. Never seen anything like it and I think it might be ilegal, or at least should be. An order should not be effected onlne until you make that one last final SUBMIT click on the final order summary page.

This is a VERY SLEAZY company with a very cool product. It is probably worth the risk to try for those that can use it, but if they are this sleazy with their odering, what other laws are they breaking? For example, they do not require 911 signup. Vonage does and tells you they are required to charge you for that by law, no exceptions. I wouldn't bet the farm on the legal future of MagicJack. I highly recommend that you do NOT sign up for FIVE YEARS prepay service as they try to sell you on.

Cheers

Edited by Jingthing

Nasty. In the U.S. it's illegal to charge your cc before the product is shipped. Does this work outside the U.S. and Canada?

I use skype out, works too, and doesn't require a plan...

It is a US phone number. You can use it anywhere in the world to call US/Canada free (no plan, just a low annual flat fee). There is also metered rates, your US number ot whatever country as per their fee schedule.

The question then becomes for how long is that going to be a valid number? The shape of a pyramid comes to mind.

The minimum service you can buy is one year for 20 dollars. The device is 20 dollars. Plus shipping. Overall, very cheap, and worth the risk if you want this service. Who knows, maybe they will get their act together and realize that offering more respectable marketing and ordering services is better for them in the long run. That is, if they are interested in the long run. Otherwise, perhaps the owners will be your neighbors in Pattaya or Rio, pocketing the riches of all those optimistic 5 year plan payers. In any case, the thing works, so my overall review is mixed.

Bought two of them and currently using them to make may calls to the U.S., my family and friends. I set up telephone numbers with the same area code as my family's house in the San Francisco Bay Area. I also was able to make a personal message for missed calls, and like the fact that I get a incoming VM messages and a email notification. Signed up for the initial 1-yr plan, which has already paid for it's self in one month.

Was not put off by their website as I wanted to buy it.

-O

Edited by Orangutan

Bought two of them and currently using them to make may calls to the U.S., my family and friends. I set up telephone numbers with the same area code as my family's house in the San Francisco Bay Area. I also was able to make a personal message for missed calls, and like the fact that I get a incoming VM messages and a email notification. Signed up for the initial 1-yr plan, which has already paid for it's self in one month.

Was not put off by their website as I wanted to buy it.

-O

I agree, go ahead and try it and buy it if you want it, but be prepared that there is a less than ethical marketing process on their web site.

Also, be aware there is also no way you can EVER speak on the phone to a customer support person. A bit ironic for a company marketing almost free phone service.

• 2 weeks later...
The question then becomes for how long is that going to be a valid number? The shape of a pyramid comes to mind.

The minimum service you can buy is one year for 20 dollars. The device is 20 dollars. Plus shipping. Overall, very cheap, and worth the risk if you want this service. Who knows, maybe they will get their act together and realize that offering more respectable marketing and ordering services is better for them in the long run. That is, if they are interested in the long run. Otherwise, perhaps the owners will be your neighbors in Pattaya or Rio, pocketing the riches of all those optimistic 5 year plan payers. In any case, the thing works, so my overall review is mixed.

Well, Im a little surprised by the mixed review. This is one of the coolest inventions I've ever come across. You seem to be caught up a little bit too much with style over substance. I'll keep that in mind when reading your future reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Im a little surprised by the mixed review. This is one of the coolest inventions I've ever come across. You seem to be caught up a little bit too much with style over substance. I'll keep that in mind when reading your future reviews.

I think a mixed review is appropriate. For the first three weeks after I installed it, I raved about Magicjack to one and all. Then voice messages came through blank. After several attempts, I reached the Magicjack customer service chat line and, after an hour of fiddling, it worked. A couple days later, I was unable to dial out or read voicemail. I reached their customer service chat line and spent 2 and a half agonizing hours being asked to do various fixes over and over again. I unplugged and replugged at least 8 times. I installed the update twice. I reformatted magicjack, etc.... I was asked to tell them the text of the error message I was getting on five occasions even though I said each and every time we tried a fix that it was the same error message. Nothing worked. At the end they refused to let me talk to a supervisor or to send me a replacement. I saved the first two hours of the chat on a file. I have just reviewed it and think my comments are fair and balanced. I have taught many microcomputer courses and have even written software.

I'll keep that in mind when reading your future reviews.

You do that. (I am crushed ...)

I have also experienced serious reliability issues when using MagicJack but still consider it very good value for little money. Reliability of Vonage (account for 2 plus years): 10, Reliability of Magic Jack (based on limited experience): 5.

Also voice quality-wise from Thailand, Vonage is much better than Magic Jack.

Value for money: Vonage 5, Magic Jack 10

Bottom line: I will not be canceling my Vonage service anytime soon. MJ has not proved itself reliable enough as yet. Also, I still question the legality of their service regarding 911 and feel they are not a great bet for being in business long term.

Mixed review? Yes, so what?

Edited by Jingthing

I think a mixed review is appropriate. For the first three weeks after I installed it, I raved about Magicjack to one and all. Then voice messages came through blank. After several attempts, I reached the Magicjack customer service chat line and, after an hour of fiddling, it worked. A couple days later, I was unable to dial out or read voicemail. I reached their customer service chat line and spent 2 and a half agonizing hours being asked to do various fixes over and over again. I unplugged and replugged at least 8 times. I installed the update twice. I reformatted magicjack, etc.... I was asked to tell them the text of the error message I was getting on five occasions even though I said each and every time we tried a fix that it was the same error message. Nothing worked. At the end they refused to let me talk to a supervisor or to send me a replacement. I saved the first two hours of the chat on a file. I have just reviewed it and think my comments are fair and balanced. I have taught many microcomputer courses and have even written software.

Well, I'm sorry about your experience. I got the cost of it back in one phone call and have nade dozens since. Hundreds of dollars saved. I will keep in mind that not everyone has had similar good fortune.

The cost is so low everyone who wants a US number should try it out for themselves if they can get one. I require more reliability than they can provide at this time, but not everyone has the same needs.

Edited by Jingthing

I'll keep that in mind when reading your future reviews.

You do that. (I am crushed ...)

I have also experienced serious reliability issues when using MagicJack but still consider it very good value for little money. Reliability of Vonage (account for 2 plus years): 10, Reliability of Magic Jack (based on limited experience): 5.

Also voice quality-wise from Thailand, Vonage is much better than Magic Jack.

Value for money: Vonage 5, Magic Jack 10

Bottom line: I will not be canceling my Vonage service anytime soon. MJ has not proved itself reliable enough as yet. Also, I still question the legality of their service regarding 911 and feel they are not a great bet for being in business long term.

Mixed review? Yes, so what?

I guess I've been lucky. Crystal clear, almost free telephone calls to the US. Paid for itself in one day. I guess it helped that I started with low expectations.

From the magicJack EULA/ToS:

http://www.magicjack.com/tos/

11. Advertisements

You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software will include advertisements. Advertisements will be served through the magicPage™ Software or the magicJack softphone – the software/softphone attempts to serve local advertisements and classifieds using a completely automated process that enables us to effectively target dynamically changing content. Our computers may analyze the phone numbers and your registration information you call in order to improve the relevance of the ads. We do not provide any personal information to our advertisers or third parties. magicJack has a policy of restricting advertisers that it believes are inappropriate, but it does not guarantee the accuracy or integrity of any advertisers and does not endorse any of the advertisements that may appear in connection with use of the magicJack device. You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and Software may include certain communications, such as service announcements, administrative messages and newsletters, and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them.

I was just going to post a ?? on majicjack, then read this topic. The Thaivisa reviews seem as mixed as the online reviews that can be read here......most complaints seem to be in the customer service dept http://www.voipreview.org/review.details.aspx?root=549

But to repeat others...it's cheap and it works [most times]

They claim that it can be used on any standard phone. Is anyone using it with a cordless??

and has anyone called other countries than the US and Canada. they say it can be done, but won't quote charges.

My friend in the US is sending me one for a belated birthday gift, so I can't go wrong....can I??

Hopefully they will improve [like microsoft did]

I'll stick to my Yahoo Voice service at 1-cent-a-minute (from Thailand to all land lines and cell phones in NA). It has been working very well for me, and I don't have to worry about changes in the communications infrastructure or changes to laws could make a device no longer usable.

I've also got to wonder about the sleazy aspect mentioned about the web site . If their product is sooo good, why do they have to rely on deception to push people into long contracts, etc.?

Yes, it works on a cordless. It is worth the money to try it out if you make alot of US calls and/or you want US people to call you.

Also, if you are maintaining a US identity (address, telephone number) while living in Thailand to deal with US banks, etc., having a US telephone number is very useful, if not necessary. MagicJack is a cheap way to go. Vonage is an expensive way to go. Up 2 U.

Edited by Jingthing