Peak Season Pricing

game4shame

I made my first visit to phuket a few months back (at the 7th time of asking) and stayed in a decent enough hotel close to bangla in patong - central, big clean room, pool, spa, sauna, decent staff etc for a reasonable B1000 a night.

I just checked the same hotel for peak season and it's coming in at B2500 for the same room. :o

samui edge their prices up a little (the resort I use in samui increases by approx B200 per night in peak season) and the hotel I use in bkk doesn't change, so why the blatant 250% peak season butt-raping by phuket hotels?

they do it simply because of supply and demand.

a hotel i was working at is selling for about 2200thb now (perhaps even 1800 on some websites) but its going up to 10,000 over peak season, and in addition to this is a gala dinner at over 3000++thb per person.

at this stage, many of the hotels in phuket are over booked, and one hotel with 120 rooms is 100 rooms over booked due to a big error made by their reservations staff. (oops)

if you really want to visit phuket over the peak period, you dont have a choice, im afraid.

First of all, I wouldn't call THB 1,000 for a place like the one you describe as 'reasonable' for the facilities. I'd call it d**n cheap! So perhaps THB 2,500 isn't 'unreasonable' given the quality of the hotel? How much would you expect to pay for a place like that at home?

Second, you know the rule of thumb for the property market: location, location, location. Hotel properties in which you 'rent' a room for a night or more fall into the same category. If you want lodgings in a spot that is in high demand, you have to be prepared to pay a premium.

Having said that, not all properties raise their prices that much. Many of the guesthouses and inexpensive places I use to put people up only raise their prices by 200 to 500 THB--so 800 to 1000 or 1200 to 1500, and so on. They are not within spitting distance of Bangla Rd, though!

Just a matter of perspective. You could also look at it as an (very) attractive low season price, and normal high season rates.

How would you then describe the "Gala Dinner" Rip Off :o now that is nasty, nasty !

Pricey Phuket indeed.

Naka.

Edited by naka

I have a mate who is really struggling to find any room in Patong over the peak xmas time..

Also I will never stay in a place that does the compulsory dinner deal !! I dont mind paying what a room costs but hitting me with those stealth price gouges is too close to deceptive practices that I simply refuse to give them my biz. I strongly push others from staying there also.. Hopefully enough bad sentiment will mean that they lose in the long run. So what Hotel is that Donna ??

Rule of Supply & Demand.

these are replies I predicted.....................but it doesn't make it right. bkk and samui don't raise the stakes 250% so why just accept the phuket pricing?

maybe a mass peak season boycott is in order. :o

Rule of Supply & Demand.

these are replies I predicted.....................but it doesn't make it right. bkk and samui don't raise the stakes 250% so why just accept the phuket pricing?

Phuket obviously has higher competition for the limited supply.. If there wasnt they would not be able to get away with it.

samui edge their prices up a little (the resort I use in samui increases by approx B200 per night in peak season) and the hotel I use in bkk doesn't change, so why the blatant 250% peak season butt-raping by phuket hotels?

Answer to your question would be explained best by giving an example:

In sai-nam yen Rd, Close to where i stay, A big guest house with 50 rooms, had 5 occupied rooms today only eventhough they charge 500bhat/day, they up the price to 1500 Bhat a day in peak season, to compansate for 8 months low occupancy

Rule of Supply & Demand.

Not as popular, Phuket is rammed around Dec/Jan, no hotel rooms, no villas available for rent etc...

i will have rooms available over the peak period, no gala dinner, but as the hotel is still being built, i am unable to give out any details or website at the moment.

we will, however, be a higher rate than what the OP is willing to pay, as we will be a boutique style hotel with four star service and a fabulous restaurant.

as the time nears and things are more finalised, you will hear more about the project.

THe high season rate is the NORMAL rate.

These rates are halved in low season.

It is not the other way round. Any profit made in low season here is a bonus.

Remember, the seasons in Samui are a bit different and they have a steadier flow of customers during what is considered the low season in Phuket.

Just as a comparison, in Berlin I ocasionally reserve a single room for a colleague in a hotel on the "Kurfürstendamm", which is pretty much a top address. During the week the room costs 78 Euros with breakfast - at weekends or when there is a big exhibition, event or whatever the same room costs up to 180 Euros......................

i will have rooms available over the peak period, no gala dinner, but as the hotel is still being built, i am unable to give out any details or website at the moment.

we will, however, be a higher rate than what the OP is willing to pay, as we will be a boutique style hotel with four star service and a fabulous restaurant.

as the time nears and things are more finalised, you will hear more about the project.

...and you'll invite us all over for dinner too, right Donna? :o

i just might do that oz. gonna have jacuzzi's on the rooftop too.....

Oooh! Dinner then post-prandials in the rooftop jacuzzi! Can you at least say what part of the island your new hotel will be located, donna?

i just might do that oz. gonna have jacuzzi's on the rooftop too.....

I've always loved you donna... you know that :D

Ummm ... I always thought that self promotion of own or associated business was not allowed on this forum.... :o Maybe different rule for mods.... :D

Maybe there is an advertising deal already agreed, but due to the project not finishing nothing has been published... or maybe you were just looking to take a dig at a moderator :D

Ummm ... I always thought that self promotion of own or associated business was not allowed on this forum.... :o Maybe different rule for mods.... :D

considering i have not named the business, LivinginKata, i do not consider this self promotion. should anyone want to know the name of the business at a later date, i will let them know by PM.

not that its any of your business, but advertising agreements are under discussion at the moment.

get off my case. and try reading my posts in the context in which they were written instead of trying to find ways to push my buttons. (spoken as a poster, NOT a moderator)

Maybe there is an advertising deal already agreed, but due to the project not finishing nothing has been published... or maybe you were just looking to take a dig at a moderator :o

Just my honest comment. No dig. Still want an answer to my question.....

And a fair question it was.......answered, but with bad grace.

THe high season rate is the NORMAL rate.

These rates are halved in low season.

It is not the other way round. Any profit made in low season here is a bonus.

Remember, the seasons in Samui are a bit different and they have a steadier flow of customers during what is considered the low season in Phuket.

Its not the norma; rate or whatever that is - its the price in high season.

I am not saying hotels should not charge any price they like when they like - the market will decide if they want to purchase at that price.

Hotels and airlines have to follow the pricing model they do and for very good reasons. Their seatsand rooms could be considered almost like durable goods - when the night is over or the flight has left and the room and seat was empty then they can never sell that particular room-night or seat-flight combination again. Its gone forever.