Newly Installed Ram Not Registering

ashacat

Hi guys,

I have just transfered the RAM module from my new Acer laptop into my old Acer laptop. I did it myself (first time) and it all seemed to go OK (??) but when I turn it on and go into system properties it still shows the pre-upgraded level of RAM.

Any ideas as to what has gone wrong?

Sorry. OK.

New Laptop: Acer Travelmate 4720

Old Laptop: Acer Aspire 5500Z

Old laptop has 2 ports, it previously had one 512 RAM installed

New laptop has 2 ports, it previously had two 512 RAM's (I have taken one out to put in the old one)

Sorry. OK.

New Laptop: Acer Travelmate 4720

Old Laptop: Acer Aspire 5500Z

Old laptop has 2 ports, it previously had one 512 RAM installed

New laptop has 2 ports, it previously had two 512 RAM's (I have taken one out to put in the old one)

Some Acer having compatibilty issues with Memory.

Try to use both memory from the new Laptop in the old one because they worked in the new Laptop!

I'll check the modell for Issues.

Here's what both RAM's say on them...

Original: 512MB 2R*16 PC2-4200S-444-12

Additional one: KN5120G019717D66472000

I do believe the old 5500Z has problems with the new (Kingston) memory!

Anyway the 5500Z uses DDR 400 or 533 while the 4720 uses DDR2 667 Memory.

Try to use the both new memory in the 5500Z, if they not works is an incompatibility with he new memory!

I do believe the old 5500Z has problems with the new (Kingston) memory!

Anyway the 5500Z uses DDR 400 or 533 while the 4720 uses DDR2 667 Memory.

Try to use the both new memory in the 5500Z, if they not works is an incompatibility with he new memory!

Oh right, so they use different types of RAM even tho the shape of the ciruit board is the same, how annoying!

I can't take the other RAM out of the new computer because it is still under warrenty (I had it upgraded at the Acer shop and they let me keep the old RAM).

So it doesn't look like it's gonna work :D Mai pen rai.

Many thanks for all your kind help everyone, it would have taken me hours of internet trawling to discover this!!

:o:D:D

Hi guys,

I have just transfered the RAM module from my new Acer laptop into my old Acer laptop. I did it myself (first time) and it all seemed to go OK (??) but when I turn it on and go into system properties it still shows the pre-upgraded level of RAM.

Any ideas as to what has gone wrong?

In case you tried everything that was already suggested and it still didn't work I think here's your problem: Go to ....http://www.memoryx.net/...hopefully you'll figure this out like I did.

What is you complete model number for the Travelmate 4720? You have three choices of memory. (notice bus speeds of only 533 and 667)

Acer TravelMate 4720-6182 uses (DDR2-533MHz) Memory or it can use Acer TravelMate 4720-6182 (DDR2-667MHz) Memory but not mixed at the same time

Or if you have Acer TravelMate 4720 (no suffix) Memory is the same memory as (512MB) Acer Aspire 3100 Notebook DDR2-667 Memory Upgrade (p/n ACER-512-DDR2-667-S))

Your other notebook is a Aspire 5500Z uses either 400 or 533 bus speed:

Acer Aspire 5500Z Notebook (DDR2-400MHz) Memory or it can use Acer Aspire 5500Z Notebook (DDR2-533MHz) Memory again you can not mix bus speeds.

According to some of the sales website the 533 or 667 models where only sold with 1 GB chips installed. So it sounds like you have 400mhz chip that won't work in the other laptop. I've been wrong before.

The chips have to match bus speed or they won't work. Also the Travelmate 4720 is "discontinued" and no longer available and pulled from distribution. So you will find it hard to get service, upgrades, or parts later on. So buy what you can now.

OOPs late post looks like you have it solved!!

Edited by Mrjlh

Wow, thanks for the post very informative.

Also the Travelmate 4720 is "discontinued" and no longer available and pulled from distribution. So you will find it hard to get service, upgrades, or parts later on. So buy what you can now.

Are you sure about this?!! I only bought it about 3 weeks ago!!

Wow, thanks for the post very informative.
Also the Travelmate 4720 is "discontinued" and no longer available and pulled from distribution. So you will find it hard to get service, upgrades, or parts later on. So buy what you can now.

Are you sure about this?!! I only bought it about 3 weeks ago!!

If you still have Waranty on both machine I would go to the Acer Service and if you in Bangkok it would be at the Headoffice for Service at Rama III Road!

But I'm very sure it's a compatibility Problem from the Memory.