Retirement To Married - Switch Or Not?

I have been thinking of renewing my type O retirement as a married visa this year. The thought is that given all the rule changes lately, perhaps the married visa will be affected the least.

Went to CM Immigration today to do so and was told that the 1 million in the bank would not suffice and I need to show 40,00 month income letter from my Consulate - OK I see the rule has changed and can supply such a letter

Immigration then fell over themselves insisting that a retirement visa would be better for me and that a married visa is a big hassle. I take this as meaning more work for them.

One concern is that while I can produce a Consulate letter today, in forthcoming years I may choose to shift my assets offshore and live on investment income. No verifyable income will make a Consulate letter difficult if not impossible, as the Cdn Consulate in CM wanted proof of income, and I am able to show my Cdn tax return.

Perhaps the UK Embassy would issue a letter based on investment income from Gurnsey - any Brits know?

The other concern is that I am currently grandfathered at 800K for retirement. If I choose to go the married route, and God forbid my wife dies before me, I may have to qualify for a higher amount and may not want to have that much money sitting in a Thai bank, or get remarried.

This presumes that grandfathering will continue

Any thoughts on if the married rules are less likely to be dicked with, and if one should switch or stay with retirement.