Beware Of Italian Pasta!

kevdulounge

Happened to me the first time I bought a packet of spaghetti from tops. Used it once, no probs until I put the then opened but unused spaghetti in the cupbard of my condo at the time. A few days later, it was full of 'weevils'.

I now keep all my pasta products unopened or opened in the fridge ...keeps the weevils away!

ewwww

same thing happened to me ,bought some pasta from tops and had what looked like fleas in the pasta ,infested the cupboard ,took it back to tops and was told 'IMPOSSIBLE" went to get another packet hoping to prove it and where it was ,said out of stock . :o

Same here a couple of weeks ago. From Tops at Central in CM. AGNESI pasta. Didnt bother taking it back tho, just tossed it out.

yeah, common problem. We store all our pasta and flour now in sealed containers, so it helps limt the problem.

Also started shopping at foodland again, especially at the new one on Suk soi 16 near Kuppa. They are open 24 hours, so there is a faster turnover on stock. Besides, they are cheaper and you get better quality.

I have two refrigerators. One is just used to store things like pasta, flour, cornmeal and other exotic western foods that just don't do to well here. Flour etc. I keep in the freezer portion of the refrigerator and the other things in the rest.

I once had an infestation of those weevils in a cupboard and they got into absolutely everything--the rice, the flour, the spaghetti etc. etc. It took about 2 months before I finally got rid of them and that was only after removing/throwing out everything for the 2nd time and finally spraying the cupboard. Let it stand empty for about a month, washed it out good and now use it for canned goods.

I am not too opposed to eating such things--if I am hungry enough, but they are such a nuisance.

Also started shopping at foodland again, especially at the new one on Suk soi 16 near Kuppa. They are open 24 hours, so there is a faster turnover on stock. Besides, they are cheaper and you get better quality.

Hi soh tee soot luey....Samran ruay koot. :o:D

watch yourself, Mr professional pretty boy. 555555

Hi so indeed, took lae dee, while indeed, look lae dee, seems to be a second date hangout for newbies to BKK and their 'date' from the previous night. The (E)ffulence is obvious, and sometimes overwhelming.

" I like you....me like you so much...me want to marry you". And that is the farang speaking.

• 1 month later...

ugghhhh...ok got a new update on the pasta. Bought some San Remo bowties and when i cooked them i realised there were some bugs in the water. Checked the pasta but couldnt see any bugs. So recooked some more..same thing. Looked at the pasta again and on a closer inspection I noticed the bugs were actually embedded IN the pasta. When i cracked one open..the bug inside was alive. Cracked another..bug alive. So i guess the flour they used to actually MAKE the pasta had weevils in it..<deleted> is with that????

2002185989685079239_th.jpg

2002199579674873130_th.jpg

2002128415302410595_th.jpg

2002180076016931820_th.jpg

2002139217703407575_th.jpg

yuckies =x

Little bugs in the pasta bags is not unusual here in Italy either....I usually check the bags because if you watch carefully you can see through but sometimes you store the pasta and after a while...they just appear! It is more common in a humid climate and much depends on how the supermarket stores their stock, your best bet is to buy in a place with a high sale rotation!

I realise that..but this time the bugs were actually within the pasta, embedded, and alive when released (by cracking the pasta apart). Meaning the flour at the factory must have had noticeable weevils crawling about before the pasta dough was made and the pasta was shaped. It begs the question on where the quality control is... no?

I realise that..but this time the bugs were actually within the pasta, embedded, and alive when released (by cracking the pasta apart). Meaning the flour at the factory must have had noticeable weevils crawling about before the pasta dough was made and the pasta was shaped. It begs the question on where the quality control is... no?

These things bore their way into the package and then into the pasta. If you check the plastic packaging carefully you will see very small holes, like needle prick size.

Always re-pack all wheat products like pasta, muessli, flakes, flour in plastic containers and if possible store in the fridge.

No. they are IN the pasta. The pasta is cooked with the bugs IN. Im not really sure how to emphasise this as its obviously not getting across. The bugs have NOT bore their way in, are not loose in the packet. They are cooked IN the pasta. geez...

• Like 1

No. they are IN the pasta. The pasta is cooked with the bugs IN. Im not really sure how to emphasise this as its obviously not getting across. The bugs have NOT bore their way in, are not loose in the packet. They are cooked IN the pasta. geez...

I know what you mean. The thing is they have bored their way into the pasta. If you take a magnifying glass and look at a piece of pasta you can see some very small holes where they have entered the pasta, I have seen this many times.

Having said that, it's of course not impossible that there were bugs in the pasta when it was made. If they were there when the pasta was made the will be dead. If you break up the pasta and they still move they must have bored their way in.

TIT (This is Thailand). Added nutrition will do you the world of good, you should take the pasta back and they will charge you extra. I often send the missus to the shop for a bag of bugs! Anyway cook it till it is El Dente or whatever.... :o

Edited by coldcrush

For years have always washed dried Pasta and Rice many times before cooking + sieved flour to get most of the bugs out before cooking/using…..

If you look in the Rice many have black bug moving inside, before you even buy it, it is just the way of life here and many places around the world.

Weevil not many here, Portugal was bad, appeared to be any grain produces had them, as for fruit almost all had worm, again no one bothered about them..

I know what you mean. The thing is they have bored their way into the pasta. If you take a magnifying glass and look at a piece of pasta you can see some very small holes where they have entered the pasta, I have seen this many times.

Having said that, it's of course not impossible that there were bugs in the pasta when it was made. If they were there when the pasta was made the will be dead. If you break up the pasta and they still move they must have bored their way in.

Ahhh..ok.. I can see how that is possible. Sorry, lol, was getting irate over pasta! Funny what little things can work a person up sometimes. :o I prefer the idea of weevils boreing into the pasta, than the idea of it being in the flour at the factory.

ignis, you have a good point. As a kid, we always washed the pasta first, never quite understood why, but now i see there could have been a good reason. I, on the other hand, have always been lazy and just dumped the pasta into the pot. I only wash after to cool the pasta down, stop it from cooking more, and get rid of any excess starch. Right, well, im gonna be pre-washing my pasta from now on!