Insurance For Laptops

crabstix

Has anyone ever bought insurance for a laptop in Thailand? I know that they don't cover accidents like dropping your laptop but are they worth getting? I've noticed that most compaq laptops come with 1 year warrantees. It is a bit worrying as I have seen asus brands with 2 year warrantees and fujitsu with 3 years. Do laptops generally break within a couple of years (assuming you don't treat them roughly or drop them?)

Has anyone ever bought insurance for a laptop in Thailand? I know that they don't cover accidents like dropping your laptop but are they worth getting? I've noticed that most compaq laptops come with 1 year warrantees. It is a bit worrying as I have seen asus brands with 2 year warrantees and fujitsu with 3 years. Do laptops generally break within a couple of years (assuming you don't treat them roughly or drop them?)

yes, worth it, i insure mine, it cost 1% of the value to insure it.

As i no a few people who have had laptops stolen, so i thought the cost was worth it!!

Actually Acer laptops come with 1 year accident/theft insurance. Don't know how easy it is to claim, though. One other brand comes with a similar deal, but I forget which.

Insurance is never really worth it until something actually happens. Then it's too late... But then again many times nothing ever happens.

Most laptops that don't come with a long (more than 1 year) warranty usually have an option to buy an extended warranty (usually 3 years). It's a good thing to have, since it's usually not that expensive, and 3 years is about the useful life of a typical laptop.

Actually Acer laptops come with 1 year accident/theft insurance. Don't know how easy it is to claim, though. One other brand comes with a similar deal, but I forget which.

Insurance is never really worth it until something actually happens. Then it's too late... But then again many times nothing ever happens.

Most laptops that don't come with a long (more than 1 year) warranty usually have an option to buy an extended warranty (usually 3 years). It's a good thing to have, since it's usually not that expensive, and 3 years is about the useful life of a typical laptop.

In Thailand do you have to buy the extended insurance at the same time as you buy the laptop? Or can you buy the insurance later on (within the one year warranty period?)

• 6 months later...

My wife's son is in Uni and I bought him an Acer laptop.

Insurance is part of the warranty.

It was stolen from him at gunpoint at a major shopping mall.

This happened in mid November 2007.

They said it should take no more than 30 days to settle a claim.

Now, March 25, 2008, we still have not gotten reimbursment.

The insurance company people keep stalling and stonewalling.

I am ready to write to the President's Office of both Acer and the Insurance company.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Laptops are so cheap these days they are almost a consumable item, hardly worth the effort of an insurance premium? Take normal precautions about security, lock cables, handle with care, don't leave unattended and should hardly be a problem. Buy a newer faster model every 3 years anyway as normal wear & tear and to keep up with the latest operating systems.

Now the data, possibly priceless, on the hard disc is a different matter;-)

Just a dumb question, where do you get laptop insurance from? What does it cost (roughly)?

The shop which sold me the laptop told me that I could extend it to 3 years (by adding 2 years to the existing 1 year) if I paid them 4000 baht.

After talking to several people, they told me I'd be better off taking it to Panthip for repairs if it broke. Said it would be cheaper than sending it to Compaq. My laptop costed me only 21,300 baht so adding 4000 baht would mean adding 20% to the cost. My friend said that laptops generally last 1-3 years anyway and if that is the case, just buy another one as they are not that expensive these days.