Norwegian Dies After Knife Attack

george

Norwegian dies after knife attack

RAWAI, PHUKET: -- Police are investigating the murder of a Norwegian man who was stabbed on the road from the Kata Viewpoint to Rawai just after midnight early Sunday morning and later died in hospital.

Chalong Police Superintendent Col Chalit Kaewyarat identified the victim as Simon Sparra Knudsen, a Norwegian who had lived in Phuket for more than 20 years.

Col Chalit said two men attacked Mr Knudsen and left him for dead on the road south from the Kata Viewpoint about 1 am.

He sustained a single stab wound near the heart, Col Chalit said.

Mr Knudsen, 47, was rushed to Phuket International Hospital, where he later died of his injury, he added.

A resident of Rawai Village 7, Mr Knudsen was on his way home by motorbike from a night of socializing in Karon when the attack occurred.

The victim’s widow, 39-year-old Sommai Knudsen, told police she was unaware of any personal disputes that may have motivated the attack.

However, Col Chalit said he thought a personal dispute was the likely cause because Knudsen’s motorcycle and other belongings were all left untouched.

Two suspects had followed Knudsen on a motorbike before the attack, he said.

Col Chalit declined to give further details for fear of jeopardizing the investigation.

Police plan to question the victim’s friends and acquaintances and would likely start in Karon, he said.

--phuketgazette.net 2007-09-24

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Norwegian friend of mine, told me that the Norwegian newspaper “Verdens Gang, has this story on its front page today. Where it also is confirmed that it was Simen Sparre Knudsen (47)who get robbed and killed on his way back to his home in Rawai after a visit to a restaurant in Kata some time after midnight Saturday.

The robbery and murder shall have happened when the Norwegian come to a hill and his motorbike lost speed. The alleged murders have then come up on his side and pushed him off the motorbike.

A fight shall have taken place and the Norwegian then got stabbed in the chest twice.

The murderers shall then have taken two mobile phones, two credit cards and some cash.

Two by passers shall have seen the Norwegian shortly after and got help from a bar nearby. The Norwegian was conscious when a German restaurant owner comes to his help. The Norwegian then told him his name was “Simen” and asked the German to call his wife. After calling an ambulance and Police, the German restaurant owner called the Norwegians wife which come to the place a few minutes before the ambulance, she was also able to speak with here husband.

The German did what he could to keep “Simen” alive but unfortunately died the Norwegian shortly after arrival at Siriroj Hospital.

Simen Sparre Knudsen was known as a relaxed family man with many friends and even if he had lived in Thailand for nearly 20 years he kept good contact with his family in Norway. He leaves behind his Thai wife and his 12-year-old son.

He was employed by the Norwegian "Høegh Fleet services" and had for many years held a highly responsible position as Captain on LNG-ships.

Rest in Peace Simen.

Not just that road. The road from Patong to Karon is the same.

Two years ago I was stopped on my motorbike by two other motorbikes with three Thai guys. I got slapped around and they were after money.

Odd. Same thing happened to me, on that stretch. Usually its the dead zone just before you get into the "populated" beach area. About 1 km of darkness. I count myself lucky to have gotten away.

Police hunt for Knudsen’s killer

RAWAI: Police say they have suspects in mind, but are collecting more evidence to submit to Phuket Provincial Court when they apply for arrest warrants in the case of Norwegian Simen Sparre Knudsen, who was stabbed to death on September 23.

Mr Knudsen, 47, was stabbed and left for dead on the road from the Kata Viewpoint to Rawai at about 1 am on September 23.

He later died at Phuket International Hospital, where an autopsy revealed he suffered two stab wounds: one to the ribs on the left side of his torso and another to the heart.

Chalong Police Superintendent Col Chalit Kaewyarat identified the victim as Simen Sparre Knudsen, a Norwegian who had lived in Phuket for more than 20 years.

The day after the murder, Col Chalit said that two men had attacked Mr Knudsen on a dark section of the road.

A resident of Rawai Village 7, where he lived with his wife Sommaai Knudsen, 39, and their 13-year-old son Chanon, Mr Knudsen was on his way home by motorbike after a night of socializing when the attack occurred, said Col Chalit.

Col Chalit initially said he thought a personal dispute was the likely motivation behind the attack because Knudsen’s motorcycle and other belongings were left untouched.

However, the victim’s wife insisted that two cell phones, credit cards and an unspecified amount of cash were missing from a hip bag her late husband always wore when he went out.

K. Sommaai said she was unaware of any personal disputes that may have motivated the attack as her husband had never been involved in any businesses in Thailand.

“He was a good guy and never got into fights with anyone before. In 13 years since I’ve known him I never heard about him fighting. I don’t believe this was local teenagers fighting with him, but it is possible that he was robbed,” said K. Sommaai.

Mr Knudsen called his wife by mobile phone at about 6:30 pm that evening to say he was going out to to meet friends at the Boon Bar in Kata, she said.

He said he would not be late returning home because he had to prepare to leave for Norway on Monday to work a two-month stint.

Mr Knudsen, who normally worked for two months and then had a two-month break, had been traveling between Thailand and Norway in this fashion for 30 years, she said.

That night, K. Sommaai suggested Mr Knudsen wait for her and their son to return home so he could use the car, but he opted to go by motorbike, she said.

Two suspects had followed Mr. Knudsen on a motorbike before the attack, said Col Chalit on the day after the murder.

He later confirmed that an image of one suspect had been sketched, but declined to release it to the media for fear of jeopardizing the investigation.

Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Pol Col Paween Pongsirin had already visited Chalong Police Station to check on the progress of the investigation.

Tourist safety has been in the spotlight in Phuket since the crash of One-Two-Go flight OG269 on September 16.

The Gazette called Norwegian Consul in Bangkok Bridgit Branthenberg, who confirmed only that Mr Knudsen’s family in Norway had been notified.

All of the information released by the consulate was included in a report by Norwegian journal Aftenpost, she said.

Norwegian readers of the Gazette kindly translated reports of those accounts, which stated that Mr Knudsen had been employed as a merchant marine captain by Hoegh Fleet Services, a Norwegian firm specializing in sea transport of liquid natural gas. He was a native of the town of Vestfold in Nottoroy County, it was reported.

Mr. Knudsen was rushed to hospital by a German bar owner named Stefan, whose Icon Bar is close to the scene.

He was made aware of the stabbing when a woman ran into the bar screaming. Stefan raced to the scene by motorcycle, called an ambulance and kept Mr Knudsen alive by mouth-to-mouth until it arrived.

The victim’s brother Even and other family members, together with his employer, are assisting the wife and son.

A Buddhist funeral ceremony for Mr Knudsen will be held at Wat Chalong, where his remains are to be cremated September 29.

- Phuket Gazette

=================================================

Leaving a wife without her husband and a young son without his father.... :o

Peace be with them both and his family in Norway as well to Simen on his journey to the next life...

Norwegian Ship Captain Stabbed to Death in Thailand

The captain of a Norwegian gas transport ship, Simen Sparra Knudsen, died after he was stabbed near the Kata Karon lookout on September 23, 2007.

The Norwegian captain, aged 47, was found on the road leading up the hill to the lookout area with stab wounds to the chest and was rushed to the hospital, but did not survive.

Tambon Chalong police chief, Chalit Kaewyarat, said Knudsen may have been involved in a fight prior to his death and investigation is still carrying out.

Knudsen was married to a Thai and lived together in Muang district of Phuket.

- ScandAsia

Does anyone have an update on this ? Or have the Phuket Polide put it into the too hard basket, which may explain this weeks "Gazette" article saying 10% of the local force want a transfer as they are over worked.

The other 90% is probably too busy doing anything but police business while on duty.

Does anyone know where to buy a Glock 19? I mean seriously, if someone attacks me, I will have wanted to stick a pistola in their face. Most would disgree, but I come from the wild west. Sorry but this really makes me feel alone here. The police aren't paid enough, and we are all just tourists, no matter how we live.

Rest In Peace.

Regards to his wife and son.

Theres a lot of news stories from this terrible murder over here in Norway, since Phuket is holiday destination no. 1 in Thailand for Norwegian tourists.

The latest story from Aftenposten here:

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/uriks/article2021838.ece

Theres also a picture of the 16 and 18 year old boys in prison.

The police still looking for a third 18 year old that may have been involved.

Knudsen was stabbed to death by the oldest brother.

The young brothers now face lifetime or death sentence if found guilty .

"The brothers belongs to a group of young criminals that have robbed 3 tourists and an elderly thai woman the last months according to the local police"

The business of newspapers is to sell newspapers. It is not to inform or, educate.

Silly Me. I Keep Forgetting

Thanks for Reminding me Sir Burr

But there was a time, a long time ago maybe, when there were newspapers who had reporters that actually reported news. Or was I just dreaming ?

Hi

My translation to english is not perfect but this is the best I can do, sorry :o

-------

Sunday morning, the police in Phuket arrested an 18 year old boy, who is the suspect of the murder of the 47 year old mr. Knudsen a week ago.

The boy was arrested in Phuket Town. The 18 year old stabbed Knudsen with the knife, and died later from the injuries. The boy is now in prison in Phuket Town, but he will soon be transfered to Chalong, said Police officer Tanom Rattanasari in the Chalong police, who have led the investigation.

Mr. Knudsen who's been living in Thailand for many years, was attacked by two men, and there was some fighting. Knudsen was stabbed twice with a knife, and he was found lying beside the road. He died in the hospital after a short time.

The 18 year old has admitted he used a knife to stab mr. Knudsen, after a fight between the Norwegian and the men.

His 16 year old brother are also under arrest. He was arrested saturday when he was driving his bike. A policeman recognized the boy and drove his car into the bike. Then he was arrested.

The 16 year old admitted he was violent to Knudsen, but he didnt use the knife. The boys belongs to a group of 4-5 young men and the local police have connected them to several incidents the last months.

"They have robbed three foreign citizens and an elderly thai woman", Rattanari explains to Aftenposten.

The boys are being described as "hang-arounds", they have nothing else to do and live most of the time as thiefs, they use violence to get to their victims.

Rattanasiri confirms that the 18 year old are facing a hard penalty if he's found guilty. If the boys are guilty of planned robbery and murder , they risk lifetime in prison or death penalty.

The police are also looking for a third person , another 18 year old that escaped from the police on Sunday morning.

The relatives and family of Mr. Knudsen are relieved that the police have arrested the boys.

The brother to Mr. Knuden , Even S Knudsen told the newspaper:

- We are satisfied that the police have arrested the men. But at the same time it feels very strange for us that he's gone.

The local police in Phuket are doing all they can in this case. At least 5 investigators have worked with the case for 1 week.

Last Saturday it was held a buddhistic ceremony for Knudsen.

The brother to Mr Knudsen said:

- Now we will try to move on in our lifes but it will take a long time.

He will stay in Thailand a few days to help the family, the wife and the son.