Burma Border

With the present unrest in Burma is it likely that the border will close? What has been the reaction with the Burmese Goverment in the past? Have they closed the border with Thailand when this situation arised before? Can any long term residents rememeber what has happened in the past as I'm sure myself and many others will be interested to know.

I would not be making any trip into Burma under the present circumstances. The borders/crossings can and do close without warnings and those on the wrong side can be trapped there until they reopen. Not something you would want if things get serious.

yeah, doing a visa extension in Ranong takes you about 10 min on the Burmese side

advise: don't go with the visa run boats with lots of people aboard. this is slower and you always have to wait.

charter a private longtail boat (Baht 400/ trip) boats and "captains" are available at the pier.

whole trip with boat in and out = 1 hour

I crossed in to Burma today at Mae sod/sot got a 30 day stamp no problems even walked around for 30 mins in burma

Not much to seein Mai sod/sot.... Mae Sai is the best Burma crossing....

But people are right in saying it can close at any moment no-one really knows

Good luck