How Do You Feel When You Leave Thailand?

Juzrelax

Ooi..for a farang male may be. But as a thai female, no love lost for me at all.

I have been living in the states for many years now and found Thailand to be only one of those good vacationing spots that's all. Let's just say I now see Thailand in a different light.

It's funny that, cos my mrs is the same. We just got back to the uk, after having 3 weeks in Thailand, she was ready to come home but i didn't want to leave at all. Every trip, she needs less and less time in Thailand. As long as she gets to see her family, she is happy.

She has lived with me in the uk for about 2 years now and has a good set of friends here. What worries me is that, i want to retire to Thailand but i have a feeling she won't want to live there again full time. Oh well, cross that bridge in about 10 years or less!!

Bojangles, good posting. May I ask how did your gf react upon first settling in the UK? I am preparing for this now, researching visa info for us and also trying to re-adjust my mindset in preperation for going back to England and taking care of the both of us. I ask as I want to make it comfortable for her, as I know she will miss her home, family, culture and all the rest inbetween. It feels like we both are going to be in the realm of culture shock, but I have to be realistic about going home, as I found it difficult/failed to get a good job here in my sector of work here in Thailand, a statement which many can relate to I'm sure.

We are both together here in Thailand preparing the scary task of going to the UK soon and starting afresh, any advice is warmly welcomed.

Fanx

My wife has been in yorkshire 3 years now and we go back in 4 weeks for a holiday. She is not bothered about going...its just me. I always think that Thailand is in colour and england is in black and white. Actually seeing manchester again really depresses me. Its much harder to be happy here. Yet for some reason I actually look forward to cool nights, footy mates, meaningless chats, when I get back. Have not worked it out yet. Greener grass and all that ? Dunno

XXX

Shrek and Kung

Maybe its because I have been in Sakhon Nakhon for 3 weeks !

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 Quid for a 'pok pok' eh? :o Shall be purchasing a good one here b4 we leave.

Tell your mrs to buy one of the wooden "pok pok's". The clay one's tend to break easy.

can your missus knock up a somtam/fresh pappaya/ingredients back there in UK? :D The missus is going to love reading this, thanks for the inspiration. :D stay well!

It's too spicey for me but yeah, the mrs can get almost everything including papaya (although expensive) to knock up a som tam. Lemon grass is also expensive here too. Also, this year we grew our own chilli's for the first time. Some of them where even too hot for her :bah:

If you want to pm me before you set off to the uk, i will get the mrs to call yours and she will give her the low down on essentials to bring with her.

We just brought back 10 kilo's of veg last week. :D

All the best

Hi Bojangles, thanks for that! I will be sure to PM you when everything this end is finalised, cheers again, mentioned to the missus and a big smile on her face!

Take care :D

TT

It's good to get your feedback everyone, thanks. It's also nice to have a thread where people arn't bagging Thailand for a change, we need more of that because it's a great place. Im sure that there's no place in the word thats perfect, and all of the little faults in Thailand helps to make the place what it is.

I hope it dosen't become too westernized & I can't wait to get back for Songkran next year!

I'm leaving in a few hours for 5 weeks in California (former home). I haven't read this whole thread because I'm running late but I am SO SAD to leave Thailand. I got all teary-eyed in the noise/crush/pollution of Silom Road yesterday, not because of the pollution but because I realized Bangkok is now home to me.

I'm going back home to Thailand tomorrow, I have lived in Thailand since 1990 and I still feel good about going back, even after just 8 weeks away.

I have been back to my home country, England, 2 times in 17 years, and never think about going, the 2 times I did go, it was not a pleasure trip, it was business only, then out as soon as possible.

I'm still in Asia, but it's not the same here, Thailand is my home and the place I wanna call home, even if many Farangs in Thailand walk one way whilst looking in another direction. :o

Edited by Maigo6

I'm leaving in a few hours for 5 weeks in California (former home). I haven't read this whole thread because I'm running late but I am SO SAD to leave Thailand. I got all teary-eyed in the noise/crush/pollution of Silom Road yesterday, not because of the pollution but because I realized Bangkok is now home to me.

Wipe away those tears Popshirt, enjoy California, return to Thailand and fall in love with her all over again.