How Do You Feel When You Leave Thailand?

Juzrelax

Ooi..for a farang male may be. But as a thai female, no love lost for me at all.

I have been living in the states for many years now and found Thailand to be only one of those good vacationing spots that’s all. Let’s just say I now see Thailand in a different light.

Beside street foods and my family, I really don't miss anything else when leaving home for the states. In fact I feel more at home when being abroad! I love the Americans!, generally they’re very nice people. I’m getting along with them better than my counterpart thai friends. Strange isn’t it? But it's the truth I have often experienced so far. And since I have to be back to Thailand in a year of two from now on a “somewhat” permanently basis, I’m planning ahead for a way to have the best of these both worlds. It only takes $$$ and lots of it, I think. So just have to keep on working

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what the EFF is happening? are you people feeling alright? a bunch of positive comments on Thailand?

:o

what's wrong with that dr naam..!! :D

this forum is for thai bashing only! :D appropriate titles for threads are:

-the junta took my civil rights away. leaving tomorrow for (insert country) where they let farangs vote and own land.

-my thai neighbour looks bloodily at me over the fence. i think he is a racist.

-when having dinner yesterday in (insert name of restaurant) the steak was not well done as ordered. in my home country (insert country) that would never happen.

-why do Thais dance in front of a person to be executed? deplorable!

-why is the Thai Baht so strong vs. (insert applicable currency)? must be a conspiracy against us farangs!

-xenophobia and discrimination whereever i look. my girlfriend asks for more money because i'm a farang.

of course one finds besides thai bashing most valuable threads with a great wealth of information. examples:

-the 1½ word story

-does it rain when you look out of the window?

-will (insert football club) make it?

-i am listening to (insert song/band). whaddaya reckon?

-again a snatch at Pattaya Beach Road!

:D

All depends where i leave to really (i do leave regularly) all agree with ULTRA Depressed feeling heading to UK, some parts of middle east, On the other hand there few places i'd rather be in , than Thailand, so gives a great thrill to leave :o .. But it's home, so end up missing the 'conforts' .. All really depends on WHERE are you off to from Thailand

:D

I was just wondering the general feeling people have when they leave Thailand. I just arrived back in Aus today and I miss Thailand already, the wise choice is not always the one that makes you feel good!

I did have a chat to a fellow at the airport and he felt worse than I did.

SAD very SAD thas why I moved here!

I moved to Thailand in 1991 to work. I burned out and when the economy crashed, I wasn't happy working for half wages. (exchange rate). I accepted a job offer in sunny California. While sitting on the plane, I was sure that I would never come back to this third world country. It seems that the only things I remembered about the US were the good things. After I arrived in California, I suffered SEVERE culture shock. Rentals were outrageous and food prices made me lose my appetite. After two weeks I asked myself what I was doing in California. I couldn't wait to get back to Thailand. I lasted two years in the US and gave up a very good job to come back to Thailand. I consulted from Thailand and after I lost my best customer AND had a failed business, I had no choice but to return once again to California. This time I had a goal. I saved as much money as possible. Three years later I reached that goal and I am back in Thailand to stay. This is my home warts and all. There is simply no where else I want to be. :o

Edited by Gary A

I usually feel pretty good when I leave. When waking up first there's the good bye fvk with

Mrs Meom who always gives it her best effort. Once that's finished it's beer time until we go to the airport. After check in we have a couple of beers more, than a good bye wave and I'm on my way to passport control. Once that's finished it's time to have a few more beers until the plane departs.

In the air I normally switch to whisky until it's time to land. All in all it's ok.

The next day back at work I usually don't feel to good though and need about 2-3 weeks to recover after which the countdown to the next leave starts.

this is pretty much spot on for me too.........

........except the goodbye <deleted> with mrs meom. :o

I also try to stick to a strict alcohol & sex regiment before leaving.

sounds exhausting, all those soldiers

Edited by t.s

I usually feel pretty good when I leave. When waking up first there's the good bye fvk with

Mrs Meom who always gives it her best effort. Once that's finished it's beer time until we go to the airport. After check in we have a couple of beers more, than a good bye wave and I'm on my way to passport control. Once that's finished it's time to have a few more beers until the plane departs.

In the air I normally switch to whisky until it's time to land. All in all it's ok.

The next day back at work I usually don't feel to good though and need about 2-3 weeks to recover after which the countdown to the next leave starts.

I have got a few weeks off from school. I am looking forward to going back to the UK, however, when I remember just how bad the UK is , I am now starting to panic.

No smoking in public places. Hmmmm

Uni exam to do on the 18th October.

Sick Mother and Father to see.

Oh well. At least I know I am coming back here asap. :D

..same same... :D

but without mrs meom.... :D

I used to hate it sooooooo much sitting in the airport waiting for flight QR611 to be called s*it how I envied everyone who was just arriving! The only thing I used to look forward to was booking my next trip which I planned as I sat in the departrure lounge.

Now my wife is with me and we have not returned to Thailand since the beginning of the year, she says she does not miss Thailand (I think I do more) Anyway just booking all my accomm and flights for March next year though I dont think it will be the same now that I have two new children with me! or maybe it will be better?

..same same... :D

but without mrs meom.... :D

I have got a few weeks off from school. I am looking forward to going back to the UK, however, when I remember just how bad the UK is , I am now starting to panic.

No smoking in public places. Hmmmm

Uni exam to do on the 18th October.

Sick Mother and Father to see.

Oh well. At least I know I am coming back here asap. :D

TEFLMike's post re-arranged to avoid an un-authorised edit of my post. :D

all part of the sevice. :bah:

I will be able to answer this one very well soon, as I will have to go back to England and start over again. I am thinking that I will be culture shocked upon returning back to the UK. I dreamt of coming to Thailand and working and never looking back, but after a few years here, things have not worked out and I found it difficult to get a job here in my expertise. I have decided that It is not for me, and have been trying to put returning home to the bottom of my list for too long now, but the time has come. I will miss Thailand but will come back for Holidays, my gf of 3 years will be coming with me to England so we can start a new life and maybe save money for the future and possibly return one day as we are young and have business plans for the future. So to answer the OP question, I am really not looking forward to going back to my home country and starting over, I know I will be culture shocked with returning back to England, but I guess Thailand will always be there, just have to knuckle down and work hard now and maybe one day we can both uproot again and go back to Asia. I hope my gf realises what she is in for when she lands in the UK, god bless her!

:o TT

Ooi..for a farang male may be. But as a thai female, no love lost for me at all.

I have been living in the states for many years now and found Thailand to be only one of those good vacationing spots that’s all. Let’s just say I now see Thailand in a different light.

It's funny that, cos my mrs is the same. We just got back to the uk, after having 3 weeks in Thailand, she was ready to come home but i didn't want to leave at all. Every trip, she needs less and less time in Thailand. As long as she gets to see her family, she is happy.

She has lived with me in the uk for about 2 years now and has a good set of friends here. What worries me is that, i want to retire to Thailand but i have a feeling she won't want to live there again full time. Oh well, cross that bridge in about 10 years or less!!

I have been living in the states for many years now and found Thailand to be only one of those good vacationing spots that's all. Let's just say I now see Thailand in a different light.

It's funny that, cos my mrs is the same. We just got back to the uk, after having 3 weeks in Thailand, she was ready to come home but i didn't want to leave at all. Every trip, she needs less and less time in Thailand. As long as she gets to see her family, she is happy.

She has lived with me in the uk for about 2 years now and has a good set of friends here. What worries me is that, i want to retire to Thailand but i have a feeling she won't want to live there again full time. Oh well, cross that bridge in about 10 years or less!!

Bojangles, good posting. May I ask how did your gf react upon first settling in the UK? I am preparing for this now, researching visa info for us and also trying to re-adjust my mindset in preperation for going back to England and taking care of the both of us. I ask as I want to make it comfortable for her, as I know she will miss her home, family, culture and all the rest inbetween. It feels like we both are going to be in the realm of culture shock, but I have to be realistic about going home, as I found it difficult/failed to get a good job here in my sector of work here in Thailand, a statement which many can relate to I'm sure.

We are both together here in Thailand preparing the scary task of going to the UK soon and starting afresh, any advice is warmly welcomed.

Fanx

Bojangles, good posting. May I ask how did your gf react upon first settling in the UK? I am preparing for this now, researching visa info for us and also trying to re-adjust my mindset in preperation for going back to England and taking care of the both of us. I ask as I want to make it comfortable for her, as I know she will miss her home, family, culture and all the rest inbetween.

In my experience, food, food and food. Find your nearest Chinese supermarket, for the basics like Rice, fish sauces, chilli's etc. Then look for a Thai grocery for the bits she can't get. I know all the places in the Manchester area but not sure about other places in the UK.

My mrs settled in very quickly once she knew she could eat near enough the same as she can in Thailand. More expensive though :o And get warm clothes.

Lots and lots of Thai restaurants are also opening up, so find one and let her do the talking to the owner. She can find out the low down herself then.

Just my experience, and upto now it seems to be making MrsBoJangles happy enough. Good luck :D

When I leave Thailand I lookforward to where I'm going - When I look back at Thailand (at a holiday that has just past or pat life living and working in Thailand) I do so with the thought those things are fond memories - Not - 'I can't live without that life'.

Life is today and here - Live it today and here.

The worst part of leaving Thailand is getting on a long haul flight only to find myself sitting next to some guy whinging on about how he can't live anywhere else but Thailand.

I have been living in the states for many years now and found Thailand to be only one of those good vacationing spots that's all. Let's just say I now see Thailand in a different light.

Bojangles, good posting. May I ask how did your gf react upon first settling in the UK? I am preparing for this now, researching visa info for us and also trying to re-adjust my mindset in preperation for going back to England and taking care of the both of us. I ask as I want to make it comfortable for her, as I know she will miss her home, family, culture and all the rest inbetween. It feels like we both are going to be in the realm of culture shock, but I have to be realistic about going home, as I found it difficult/failed to get a good job here in my sector of work here in Thailand, a statement which many can relate to I'm sure.

We are both together here in Thailand preparing the scary task of going to the UK soon and starting afresh, any advice is warmly welcomed.

Fanx

Sorry to hear that things have not worked out for you yet in Thailand, but at least you have had the guts to admit it.

The plan you have sounds good. Go back to UK, work hard, head down, arse up, get some money and one day return.

I would like to wish both you and your g/f the best of luck.

Regards

Jaiyenyen

Bojangles, good posting. May I ask how did your gf react upon first settling in the UK? I am preparing for this now, researching visa info for us and also trying to re-adjust my mindset in preperation for going back to England and taking care of the both of us. I ask as I want to make it comfortable for her, as I know she will miss her home, family, culture and all the rest inbetween.

In my experience, food, food and food. Find your nearest Chinese supermarket, for the basics like Rice, fish sauces, chilli's etc. Then look for a Thai grocery for the bits she can't get. I know all the places in the Manchester area but not sure about other places in the UK.

My mrs settled in very quickly once she knew she could eat near enough the same as she can in Thailand. More expensive though :o And get warm clothes.

Lots and lots of Thai restaurants are also opening up, so find one and let her do the talking to the owner. She can find out the low down herself then.

Just my experience, and upto now it seems to be making MrsBoJangles happy enough. Good luck :D

Bojangles, ta very much! We will be relocating to Nottingham, I'm from Reddish, Stockport. We'll take a trip up north to load up our baskets at the asian supermarkets, also she is an icecream freak so I will enjoy taking her to the Blackpool Icecream parlours! I'll tell her its just as beautiful as Phuket lol, cant wait to see her face drop! lol!

Fanx

Sorry to hear that things have not worked out for you yet in Thailand, but at least you have had the guts to admit it.

The plan you have sounds good. Go back to UK, work hard, head down, arse up, get some money and one day return.

I would like to wish both you and your g/f the best of luck.

Regards

Jaiyenyen

Thanks Jaiyenyen, nice words and I wish you well. Thailand is a lovely place, we will be back one day with more work experience and a better cash flow! also, to all of you doing business here now, respect to you and I wish you well. :o

Bojangles, ta very much! We will be relocating to Nottingham, I'm from Reddish, Stockport. We'll take a trip up north to load up our baskets at the asian supermarkets,

No worries Toot. I'm sure there will be places around Nottingham but if in the Manchester area then Wing Yip is best for the main ingredients and "Kim Thai" on the edge of china town, for the rest of the stuff. And if she like Som Tam, bring your own Pessle and Mortar, they cost a fortune over here (about £35) and about 150 baht over there. :o

Bojangles, ta very much! We will be relocating to Nottingham, I'm from Reddish, Stockport. We'll take a trip up north to load up our baskets at the asian supermarkets,

No worries Toot. I'm sure there will be places around Nottingham but if in the Manchester area then Wing Yip is best for the main ingredients and "Kim Thai" on the edge of china town, for the rest of the stuff. And if she like Som Tam, bring your own Pessle and Mortar, they cost a fortune over here (about £35) and about 150 baht over there. :D

Cheers Bojangles, sounds like your well set up! 'Wing Yip' sounds familiar, I think they had one around Wembley area, north circle, London. 35 Quid for a 'pok pok' eh? :o Shall be purchasing a good one here b4 we leave. I love the Somtam as much as the missus, I'll leave out the plaa ra, (I've seen khun maes plaa ra bucket, scary, did you ever see the drum after a year of fermentation?) somtam bpuu is more my thing, can your missus knock up a somtam/fresh pappaya/ingredients back there in UK? :D The missus is going to love reading this, thanks for the inspiration. :D stay well!

35 Quid for a 'pok pok' eh? :o Shall be purchasing a good one here b4 we leave.

Tell your mrs to buy one of the wooden "pok pok's". The clay one's tend to break easy.

can your missus knock up a somtam/fresh pappaya/ingredients back there in UK? :D The missus is going to love reading this, thanks for the inspiration. :D stay well!

It's too spicey for me but yeah, the mrs can get almost everything including papaya (although expensive) to knock up a som tam. Lemon grass is also expensive here too. Also, this year we grew our own chilli's for the first time. Some of them where even too hot for her :D

If you want to pm me before you set off to the uk, i will get the mrs to call yours and she will give her the low down on essentials to bring with her.

We just brought back 10 kilo's of veg last week. :D

All the best

Bojangles, ta very much! We will be relocating to Nottingham, I'm from Reddish, Stockport. We'll take a trip up north to load up our baskets at the asian supermarkets, also she is an icecream freak so I will enjoy taking her to the Blackpool Icecream parlours! I'll tell her its just as beautiful as Phuket lol, cant wait to see her face drop! lol!

I found that most of the asian supermarkets (in Leeds) have only a limited selection of thai groceries, but there are some specialist mail-order companies that do a very wide range of fresh vegetables as well astinned/canned/bottled foods.

I personally liked going back to UK to work,see friends and family,get back into a routine for a while.But this soon wore off and counting the weeks/days starts.I think its much harder if you leave loved ones over there.My wife and kids have been in UK for years now,i know i cant work in Thailand,yeah i could get a teaching job,but whats the point for less than £500 a month.I can get more in a week.

But after we have moved back to Thailand and i will have to return to UK to work for a while,then that WILL be hard leaving family.

Fresh papaya is expensive in UK as already stated,but a good alternative is raw swede or carrott.Try it.

Have to agree 100% Food is the main factor. Chinese supermarkets for fish sauce,thai curry paste,coconut milk, sweet chilli sauce, shrimp paste etc. If you are moving to an area with a large south asian comunity the pakistani and indian market stalls are a lot cheaper for stuff like chilli's and other thai style veg. Just get her to close the kitchen door and open the window's when she is cooking. :D The wife also did a part time english course to keep her busy while I was at work. Good luck mate we were in the uk for 6 years and are only based in thailand now because its my choice as I work in Asia. She would prefer the UK.

When I leave Thailand I lookforward to where I'm going - When I look back at Thailand (at a holiday that has just past or pat life living and working in Thailand) I do so with the thought those things are fond memories - Not - 'I can't live without that life'.

Life is today and here - Live it today and here.

The worst part of leaving Thailand is getting on a long haul flight only to find myself sitting next to some guy whinging on about how he can't live anywhere else but Thailand.

Well Said

The first time I left Thailand, it was as a tourist and yeah, I felt really sour and bitter. Now that I'm living here and that I know that when I'm leaving it's just for short trips or short holidays, I don't feel so bad about it, in fact, I'm quite happy because I know I'm leaving for a good business negotiation or to see my family or my best friends or my favorite places, so it's more than just ok :o

I was just wondering the general feeling people have when they leave Thailand. I just arrived back in Aus today and I miss Thailand already, the wise choice is not always the one that makes you feel good!

I did have a chat to a fellow at the airport and he felt worse than I did.

I love it when I get to leave. Usually means its a holiday or long weekend.