Renting A Car For 1-2 Weeks

grace2much

Hi, I'm flying to BKK from the UK in January and I'm meeting a consultant in Pattaya to then look at building sites on the coast, south of Pattaya almost as far as the Cambodian border. So most of my time will be spent south of Pattaya.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it hectic/mad to drive from BKK airport to Pattaya. I mean by this is the traffic in Bangkok and getting on the right road for Pattaya a real nightmare or normal for a big city? For example I would not dream of driving through central London....bad for my nerves :D
  2. Where is the best/cheapest place to rent in BKK airport a car for 1 - 2 weeks?
  3. I see from googling that around 1200B per day for a mid sized car per day for 1-2 weeks seems the norm. Is this what I should go for or is there some "insider" information I need to know :o
  4. Or should I get a train to Pattaya and rent a car there so avoid driving at all in BKK?
  5. Or any other ideas or advice if "you" had to do what I have to do.

Thanks in advance I appreciate the help.

There is a bus from the airport that goes to Pattaya if you didn't need to spend any time in Bangkok. Honestly, I would not rent a car in Bangkok but rather get to Pattaya and rent from there. If you don't know your way around Bangkok and don't know how crazy they can drive here, don't do it.

There is a bus from the airport that goes to Pattaya if you didn't need to spend any time in Bangkok. Honestly, I would not rent a car in Bangkok but rather get to Pattaya and rent from there. If you don't know your way around Bangkok and don't know how crazy they can drive here, don't do it.

Thanks for the advice. And no I don't need to spend any time in Bangkok so your suggestion looks good to me. Can I get the bus to pattaya close to or inside the airport terminal, I guess it will be signposted? Can I get info online?

Should I consider a train to pattaya or is the bus better?

Lastly, does anyone know if there is a car hire place at the pattaya bus terminal so I can go straight from the bus to my rental car? If not any recommendations for car hire in the pattaya area close to the bus terminal?..........Thanks :o

Hi, I'm flying to BKK from the UK in January and I'm meeting a consultant in Pattaya to then look at building sites on the coast, south of Pattaya almost as far as the Cambodian border. So most of my time will be spent south of Pattaya.

I have a few questions:

1. Is it hectic/mad to drive from BKK airport to Pattaya. I mean by this is the traffic in Bangkok and getting on the right road for Pattaya a real nightmare or normal for a big city? For example I would not dream of driving through central London....bad for my nerves :D
  2. Where is the best/cheapest place to rent in BKK airport a car for 1 - 2 weeks?
  3. I see from googling that around 1200B per day for a mid sized car per day for 1-2 weeks seems the norm. Is this what I should go for or is there some "insider" information I need to know :o
  4. Or should I get a train to Pattaya and rent a car there so avoid driving at all in BKK?
  5. Or any other ideas or advice if "you" had to do what I have to do.

Thanks in advance I appreciate the help.

We are also Building consultants/Project managers based in Pattaya, you will see my company banner in the Pattaya news clippings section, on Thai visa, or pm me & I will reply

The best way to get to Pattaya from Bangkok airport is to jump in a taxi, it should be around 1200 baht & take approx 2 hours

I think your transit from airport to Pattaya has been addressed by other posts.

Your local consultant should provide a vehicle and driver for your groundwork from then on. Although driving in Thailand is not too demanding, especially where you are headed, it's better to have a local driver who can read signs and ask for directions. That will save you a lot of time and avoid hassles at the odd highway police check.

Thanks for the advice. And no I don't need to spend any time in Bangkok so your suggestion looks good to me. Can I get the bus to pattaya close to or inside the airport terminal, I guess it will be signposted? Can I get info online?

Should I consider a train to pattaya or is the bus better?

Lastly, does anyone know if there is a car hire place at the pattaya bus terminal so I can go straight from the bus to my rental car? If not any recommendations for car hire in the pattaya area close to the bus terminal?..........Thanks :o

Call Rita on 0817781824 ,she has very good cars, her rates are low and she may well collect you off the bus, tell her mike gave you the number,.

I suggest speaking to Jon at Q-Cars. They have all manner of cars and trucks with full hire insurance, not just your mate's first class insurance that is not valid for rental agreements.

If going to building plots, you might consider a truck or 4*4.

You can reach Jon on (038) 231694. You can tell him you got his number off Andy (torrenova)

His email is [email protected]

Website www.qcars.net

Don't even consider driving from the Airport to Pattaya at this time, I have been driving this route for many years and took a wrong turn twice last month due to the numerous road works! :o

Vast choice of hire cars available in your price range, up to you who you give your businesses too.

Have Fun

Ha, Ha, Ha, LOL, I am just going to fly into Thailand and start driving, just like back home no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is funny, and there are people even given you recommendations of where you can rent a car from.

The worst drivers in the world drive in Thailand and you’re just going to start driving without a Thai license. You are going to get pulled over constantly by the police looking for their daily lunch money. God forbid you get in any kind of accident, because it will be your fault and have to pay big time, or spend a few days, weeks, months or years in jail. But, what the heck, go for it.

Do yourself a favor; hire a driver, under any and all circumstances you should not consider driving here without at least seeing how bad it is.

Ha, Ha, Ha, LOL, I am just going to fly into Thailand and start driving, just like back home no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is funny, and there are people even given you recommendations of where you can rent a car from.

The worst drivers in the world drive in Thailand and you’re just going to start driving without a Thai license. You are going to get pulled over constantly by the police looking for their daily lunch money. God forbid you get in any kind of accident, because it will be your fault and have to pay big time, or spend a few days, weeks, months or years in jail. But, what the heck, go for it.

Do yourself a favor; hire a driver, under any and all circumstances you should not consider driving here without at least seeing how bad it is.

Lighten up on the sarcasm, sage experience and generalisations. The OP is a newbie and you could have saved your breath and bandwidth by omitting the first 3 paragraphs of your response, leaving the final paragraph containing a sound recommendation and giving a better impression of how friendy TV advice is dispensed.