Monkeys

Okidoki

I just saw two cappuchin monkeys for sale in Phukette Gazette. Is it possible to buy monkeys and legal to keep them? Of course I know that Orangs and Gibbons/Lars aren´t but anyhow. I sometimes see Thais with Maqacs for example that help out with coconut harvesting. For many, many years ago, I did see monkeys and slow lories for sale in BKK but that for was many years ago.

And... since it is a south american specie that is offered, I also wonder if there are any breeders or if it is possible to import Cappuchins to Thailand.

Anyone with experience in the field?

I just saw two cappuchin monkeys for sale in Phukette Gazette. Is it possible to buy monkeys and legal to keep them? Of course I know that Orangs and Gibbons/Lars aren´t but anyhow. I sometimes see Thais with Maqacs for example that help out with coconut harvesting. For many, many years ago, I did see monkeys and slow lories for sale in BKK but that for was many years ago.

And... since it is a south american specie that is offered, I also wonder if there are any breeders or if it is possible to import Cappuchins to Thailand.

Anyone with experience in the field?

Monkeys are wild animals and not meant to be domesticated. You'll be sorry if you get one. They are dirty, destructive, mean and nasty creatures best left in the wild.

I saw it too, it did say though that they had all the legal paper work whatever that means, the last time i saw a gibbon for sale on that web site i called the gibbon rehabilitation center in Phuket and they called the police, the gazette also took it off the ad section quickly although the same animal was in Big C's pet shop window for sale for much longer before it was finally removed, as has already been said " they are not pets and should be left in the wild!"

people do keep monkeys as pets all over the world and treat them as a great companions. So probably depends on how your trained them from the small. You don't have to keep them inside if you find them dirty or nasty - can be a cage or a lish in the garden. If you don't believe in keeping them enclosed than allow them to run freely in your garden and just feed them so they won't move away.

worth to check why are they being sold and to see their health certificates.

Hi,

We have had several monkeys both marmosetts, Tamarins, Squirrel, nightmonkeys, etc and now very well of how it is to have monkeys both for breeding within EAZA programmes as well as pets.

Cappuchines are fantastic pets/companions!

So my questions wasn´t bout that. Is it legal? Where does it state it is not legal? I hardly believe it is illegal for any of the guys who has them as coconut pickers.

So, does anyone now?

Edited by Okidoki

Hi,

We have had several monkeys both marmosetts, Tamarins, Squirrel, nightmonkeys, etc and now very well of how it is to have monkeys both for breeding within EAZA programmes as well as pets.

Cappuchines are fantastic pets/companions!

So my questions wasn´t bout that. Is it legal? Where does it state it is not legal? I hardly believe it is illegal for any of the guys who has them as coconut pickers.

So, does anyone now?

Please do not get me wrong, but i was told this by a guy i knew who rescued two monkeys, he let these go in the wild and they still live behind his home. also they have had young, which is a nice story. he actually told me it was illegal to keep them, that is one of the reasons he let them free.

maybe it is a certain breed of monkey ?, it would be nice to find out for sure.

CITES REGULATIONS will tell u what can be exported/imported and to whom (private, zoo, breeding programs etc) google for them or pm nignoy he should know

also, check with the zoos, they have all the regs; and just because people use monkeys doesnt mean they are legal;

and how many laws are enforced in general in thailand.

bina

israel

CITES REGULATIONS will tell u what can be exported/imported and to whom (private, zoo, breeding programs etc) google for them or pm nignoy he should know

also, check with the zoos, they have all the regs; and just because people use monkeys doesnt mean they are legal;

and how many laws are enforced in general in thailand.

bina

israel

Hi, As you probably know, CITES Differents lists regulates various things out of what is thought to be near extinction. But if you have your papers i order, it shouldn´t be a problem, even for list I. All Pythons for example, are on the Cites lists. Together with all Crocodilians and you still can find Crocs, Caymans and Alligators for sale easily. One problem is transportation, why I was thoughtful of how they have come here... Not the right paperwork, The airlines refuses to carry the animals.

To buy a Cites listed animal, breed in the country, should be just fine. IF no other law inflicts...

I definately do not believe the zoo´s in Thailand has everything in place...

About releasing monkeys outside your house, of course that is doable. But keep in mind they are like keeping a kindergarten on the loose in your garden... :-) Most likely, there are laws that stops you from planting new, never before, species in the wild.

If you release "pets" in the wild to save animals, f eks Gibbons, there are numerous things to consider, takes a long time and unfortunately, it is very selldom successful.

there are different regs for personal use, educational (like petting zoos ), and breeding...

i can keep native species of anything and breed as long as i have the conditions for them ; but i can keep exotics for non breeding purposes only...

we had spider, squirrel, baboon (pensioned from a lab), lemurs, gannons, and some others cant remember... i personally hate monkeys and working with them and the feeling is usually mutual...

however, daughter worked with the large monkeys, go figure... she loves them.

now i stick to farm animals and semi domesticated anials...bina

there are different regs for personal use, educational (like petting zoos ), and breeding...

i can keep native species of anything and breed as long as i have the conditions for them ; but i can keep exotics for non breeding purposes only...

we had spider, squirrel, baboon (pensioned from a lab), lemurs, gannons, and some others cant remember... i personally hate monkeys and working with them and the feeling is usually mutual...

however, daughter worked with the large monkeys, go figure... she loves them.

now i stick to farm animals and semi domesticated anials...bina

I do understand that you are experienced as zookeeper. However, you mixes laws & regulations as well as guidlines with your personal point of view.

Laws are based out of every country own decisions. Sometimes.... countries within a region can adopt a mutual law. Regarding animals, most of the countries in SEA has, out of my understanding, very weak if any laws about how to keep animals.

Regulations regarding animals are something that f eks airlines has implemented. Minimium cages, CITES documentation, microchip, etc. These rules came up due to work of WWF since collecting/trapping animals in the wild are meaningsless, if you can´t transport what you have sold... The airline/transport regulations has probably done more then anything else in the conservation of wildlife.

Cites are guidlines as well as it has been a legal tool for several authorities as well as zoo´s.

Your personal point of view, I absolutely respect that. But I do not share your point of view to 100%. Animals can be kept for both personal enjoyment as pets, as well as for clinical research or for conservating wildlife.

The OP's question may be if it's legal to keep a (capuccin) monkey, but I think the question of many is 'is it ethical' ? I certainly do. Is it ethical to keep a monkey for personal enjoyment or for clinical research? How about the 'enjoyment'/well-being of the monkey, seen from the monkey's needs?

http://www.monkey-island.net/wantmonkey.html

Are you sure you want a monkey:

Animated, intelligent, eerily "human", monkeys are among the most fascinating animals on our planet. That's why monkeys would seem to make delightful pets. But unlike dogs or cats, primates (all monkeys and apes) have not evolved over thousands of years to live compatibly with humans. Monkeys are not domestic pets. They are wild animals; ill equipped to adapt to the alien world of their human cousins. Keeping primates happy and healthy in captivity is difficult, expensive and time-consuming.

As you think about bringing a monkey into your home, please consider the following:

1. Are you prepared to live with a wild animal?

2. Can you deal with the mess?

3. Is it legal in your area to keep a monkey? (Well ... that’s the question …)

4. What will happen when your monkey grows up?

5. Can you cope with aggression -- and sharp teeth?

6. Can you guarantee a good home for the next 20 to 40 years?

7. Do you have enough space? The right space?

8. Can you afford the cost of feeding and caring for a monkey?

9. Who will care for your monkey when you're away?

10. Is there a vet in your area willing and capable to care for a monkey?

http://monkeymaddness.com/articles/realitycheck.html

How Do You Rate Yourself?

Complete the following 50 questions by writing down the number that best describes you on a scale of 1-10 (10 being highest) in each category. When finished, add up your total score to find out where you rank (Make sure to be honest with yourself, there is noone looking over your shoulder)

1) Love of animals

2) Love of monkeys

3) Patience to deal with personality traits

4) Patience to deal with refusal to eat or take medications

5) Patience to deal with monkey's natural tendency to "get into things"

6) You are sensitive

7) Empathetic

8) Generally tolerant

9) Consistent

10) Forgiving

11) Understanding

12) Calm and mature temperament

13) Stable life-style

14) Supportive family

15) Able to manage family care and needs around monkey care

16) Can cope if monkey doesn't like one or more family members

17) Aptitude for understanding behavior

18) Willing to learn humane animal training techniques

19) Flexible in expectations

--(My favorite age for an animal is--rate each below)--

20) Infant--cute, docile, round-eyed, dependent, obedient

21) Adolescent--boisterous, rebellious, into things, destructive

22) Adult--more set in ways, less playful, potential for serious aggression, facial features have lost that "baby" look

23) You are financially secure

24) Able to budget for extra monkey expenses

25) Able to work hard to get cleanups done

26) Tolerant of food waste

27) Tolerant of noncompliant behaviors

28) Tolerant of messiness, dirtiness, urine, feces

29) Tolerant of biting or other aggressive behaviors

30) Tolerant of a monkey's sexual behaviors

31) Tolerant of feces or urine odor

32) Have creative problem solving skills

33) Willingness to compromise to accommodate monkey behaviors and needs

34) Have keen observation skills

35) Able to stay interested, emotionally committed

36) Able to devote daily blocks of time to play and grooming

37) Consistent in feeding and cleanup

38) Good at carrying out repetitive daily care

39) Committed for the long haul, a monkey's 20-40 year life span

40) Time to shop for and prepare fresh produce

41) Good at meeting repetitive feeding requirements

42) Willing to monkey-proof house (put breakables away, ect.)

43) Willing to buy toys for enrichment

44) Willingness to provide a social companion

45) Willing to buy vitamins and special food needs

46) Have time and $ for well-checks and vet visits

47) Willing to provide house space for indoor monkey cage, toys

48) Willingness to spend extra $ on proper sized exercise cage

49) Willing to seek further education on monkey care/behavior

50) Willing to check on permit requirements, to comply to state/city regulations, to pay fees & have inspections if required

What is your Total Score? Use the Rating Chart below to assess your aptitude.........

50-199=low aptitude

200-350=medium aptitude

351-500=high aptitude

http://www.honoluluzoo.org/pets.htm

So You Want A Pet "Monkey?" Did You Know:

1. Prosimians, monkeys, apes and humans are all primates. We share many characteristics and we share diseases. As our closest relatives, non-human primates can transmit mild to highly dangerous diseases to their owners, their owners' family and friends. Diseases like the common cold, internal parasites, hepatitis A, tuberculosis and even the often fatal Herpes B virus.

2. Non-human primate ownership can be regulated at the local, state or national level. Even if legal at the state level, numerous cities and counties have made it against the law to keep pet primates; illegal possession can result in fines and confiscation of the innocent victim, your pet.

3. To be made into a "pet," baby primates are taken away from their mothers when only hours or days old. Evolved to have continual (24 hr/day) body contact with their moms, infant primates are left to hug towels or stuffed animals. Depression is not restricted to human primates, these infants and mothers typically suffer depression from the forced separation.

4. Infant females taken away from their mothers' care don't develop the parental skills necessary to raise their own young. A vicious cycle of rejected infants that must be raised by humans in order to physically survive is started.

5. Primates are social. Under natural conditions they live in social groups and have constant companionship. Now think about the number of minutes per day you spend with other pets such as a dog. Thirty minutes? Two hours? Primates need more, much more. Once the decision has been made to remove the infant primate from its mother's care in order for it to become Your pet, You become its social life. Planning to have a job, go out with friends, see a movie, shop? Continuing to lead your normal life and leaving your pet to spend the majority of its day alone is both unnatural and inhumane.

6. Given good care and proper nutrition, non-human primates can lead very long lives. Twenty five to 30 years is not unusual for the smaller species while macaques, baboons and spider monkeys can easily reach 40 and apes can live to be 55 years old. A high school senior who buys an infant macaque can get a job, get married, raise a family and become a grandparent before the pet macaque dies of natural causes. Most people are not able to make that type of life-long commitment to a domestic pet yet alone a challenging exotic pet.

7. Once they reach sexual maturity, non-human primates become more unpredictable and dangerous. Even small primates are deceptively strong and all primates have damaging canines. Gentle one minute, they can inflict severe wounds when suddenly frightened, surprised, confused or frustrated. Owners are often shocked and feel betrayed. Believing they should not risk further aggression, responsible owners typically make the decision to reduce contact with the pet.

8. Non-human primates that become emotionally bonded to their owners, a trait that pleases and is encouraged by the master, can become jealous and attack visiting family, friends, neighbors, new boy/girlfriend or even the mailman. Owners can be held responsible for resulting medical bills and may be subject to lawsuits. Vacations could be out of the picture; finding a qualified caretaker who is accepted by the pet primate and willing to risk chance of being bitten may prove impossible.

9. Many small animal veterinarians do not want to accept the risk of injury or disease transmission and will not treat non-human primates. Additionally, few have the training to provide expert care.

10. Non-human primates are intelligent, curious and active. Unless caged, they can destroy furniture, curtains and any household decorations. They can throw their food around and easily rip off their diapers and soil the house.

11. Tired of dealing with the array of problems caused by pet primate ownership, most owners end up wanting to get rid of their pet. Lacking infant appeal, adult non-human primates are difficult to place. They may be transferred from inadequate to bad to worse homes, bought by an animal dealer or sent to an animal auction, shot or euthanized. Exotic animal sanctuaries are at capacity, zoos don't have the space for former pets. Rarely is the story ending a happy one.

12. Baby primates raised to adulthood by humans have not acquired all the necessary social skills to live with others of their own kind. If an owner is able to convince a sanctuary or roadside zoo to take his pet, integrating the imprinted primate into a peer group can be life threatening. Sending inappropriate signals to its new and strange companions, the former pet can be harassed, intimidated, and even attacked. If accepted, ex-pets can nevertheless remain social outcasts, individuals who through no fault of their own are caught between two worlds and can't live successfully in either. Neurotic behavior and depression are common consequences.

13. You may be the best pet-primate owner in the world, but by purchasing an infant primate, you are perpetuating a business that leads to miserable lives for many of the very animals you profess to adore.

Nienke

just to point out: my personal view is only that i dont like to work with them; the objective view is that at my petting zoo we changed our format and therefore can no longer legally keep any monkeys and i am glad... i legally can still keep other types of our own native species within certain frameworks but have chosen for the past seven yrs to stick with domestics and the occasional rescue if we have a place for it (now ruling out most wild canines and felines and the larger predator birds -not falcons)

bina

Nienke, I wrote a long answer to you but unfortunately, MS Windows XP.... ;-)

Ethics... I can discuss ethics for a long time... And if I wanted to, I would have started a topic about that.

Offspring at zoo´s are very often killed since the zoo´s can not sell, nor release the animals. They reproduce too good!!! That is also one of reasons why even Golden Lion tamarinds (one of the most endangered species) now receive birthcontrol pills. Sometimes, even in the wild, babies are killed by the group and at zoo´s, the zookeepers do what they can to save the baby and end up with quite a few of handraised monkeys... What is ethics?

And where the animals used to live, there you now have your house. So to release them back, is not possible. And if a snake comes in to "your" yard, maybe... you will kill it for trespassing... If the monkeys who used to live there, came back and took over the place again, you would shoot em off. Ethics?

Clinical research has probably resulted in medicine that already has saved your and maybe your kids lives. Several times. Should we not have clinical research? What is ethics....

I am very well aware of the ethic dilemma and the more experience I have got, the harder it is to answer that question for obvious reasons. So I skip that... I will not judge a person that has a monkey or wants one. Just how he keeps them. Or keeps the dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles or whatever.

Most people who has thoughts about this, have mostly no experience at all within this field. But are willing to do very hard statements of it. Monkeys can be great companions! And also terrible ones. Suitable for everyone? No, just as with Cobras, pitbulls, rottweilers, horses or parrots.

Time, competence, money will eventually make it possible to keep an exotic pet such as an monkey. But your "guidlines" are good when you are in the process of deciding IF you can afford the luxury to keep a monkey..... The price is high for that...

So, back to basics again.... I would really like to know if it is legal? Still no one has been able to give an correct answer! My conclusion so far is that it is most likely not forbidden anyway....

Bina, I totally understand your point of view and I agree with most of what you said before. EC, US and most likely Israel is probably working in the same directions, with the same tools to create zoo´s and breeding centers we all want to see. But within EC, domestic animals are more or less, forbidden.... You are probably well aware of that debate...

Edited by Okidoki

Okidoki, I know the feeling of loosing a long post or mail.

First of all, I would like to make clear that i'm not personally attacking you or Bina. I don't know you, haven't seen your zoo nor the way you interact with and care for the animals. All I know from Bina are her posts where she shows a huge heart for the animals, and always is trying her utterbest to bring or keep the animals' well-being to an optimum. Also Bina I've never met, although I do hope I will have the honor once. :o

As for (private) zoo's themselves, lots of pro's and con's can be given about them. Unfortunately there are quite some where there are more con's then pro's.

And where the animals used to live, there you now have your house. ...
This is a dead-end remark.
So to release them back, is not possible. And if a snake comes in to "your" yard, maybe... you will kill it for trespassing. If the monkeys who used to live there, came back and took over the place again, you would shoot em off. Ethics?

As you use the word 'you' here, I react for myself: I donot kill the snakes that come into my garden, I do keep the grass short, though, and have planted lemon grass and citrus trees, in an attempt to keep them out. So far do good. I certainly will not kill the monkey, if there ever will be one in my garden. In stead, I first will watch it in total admiration, takes pic's and observe its behavior carefully. (after all, how on earth does a monkey end up in my garden? That's certainly not normal) Then I would contact organisations, inform them of the monkey's presence and its behavior, and ask them to come over to catch it (alive!), so they can release it there where it will be cared for well and can live a good life. My garden certainly will not provide that. I just read that WARThai has opened a branch in Chiang Mai. :D

Clinical research has probably resulted in medicine that already has saved your and maybe your kids lives. Several times. Should we not have clinical research? What is ethics....

Although, I do not deny that clinical research on animals has helped us understand a lot on the medical field, there has been and is still going on a lot of research on animals that was and isn't necessary and/or could be done in other ways. Plus that there are other much more gentle ways (without animal suffering) to heal people and animals, but that is very much suppressed by Big Pharma.

Having clinical research on animals is (IMO), however, not a reason to keep (wild) animals under conditions that do not support their well-being (meaning according THEIR needs), whether that's private or in a zoo.

I am very well aware of the ethic dilemma and the more experience I have got, the harder it is to answer that question for obvious reasons. So I skip that...

I find this an interesting remark. Does that mean, the more you understand about the real needs of the animal/s, the more you start realizing it is, in fact, enormous hard, and probably in many cases plain impossible, to keep wild animals in confined areas, BECAUSE it doesn't fulfill the needs of that animal? I only have to think of the enormous habitat one needs for certain animals, or with many monkeys that are taken away of the mother and group members at a very young age, and raised under human conditions, making that they never can go back to and live with their own species as they are mentally disturbed.

I will not judge a person that has a monkey or wants one. Just how he keeps them. Or keeps the dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles or whatever.

Most people who has thoughts about this, have mostly no experience at all within this field. But are willing to do very hard statements of it. Monkeys can be great companions! And also terrible ones. Suitable for everyone? No, just as with Cobras, pitbulls, rottweilers, horses or parrots.

I certainly do not want to pretend I'm knowledgeable on reptile, herbivores, fish or any other animals other than dogs and cats, with dogs much more than cats, as I'm not.

The above post was not meant to judge you, Bina, or anyone else. It was meant for people, including myself, to understand what is needed in order to keep a monkey as a pet. And, I think, that's quite a lot! I for one, have not the knowledge, the space nor the financial means to do so, let alone that I want it.

Time, competence, money will eventually make it possible to keep an exotic pet such as an monkey. But your "guidlines" are good when you are in the process of deciding IF you can afford the luxury to keep a monkey..... The price is high for that...

Not my guidelines, just things I've found on the internet, see the websites.

Also I thought these guidelines are pretty good to consider before deciding to purchase and care for a monkey.

So, back to basics again.... I would really like to know if it is legal? Still no one has been able to give an correct answer! My conclusion so far is that it is most likely not forbidden anyway....

Have been searching, but can't find anything. But isn't it that cappuchin monkeys aren't native? And if that's the case, isn't there a chance they are illegal? Anyway, don't know the answer to this question.

Nienke

hey o both of u;

domestic animals illegal in EC ?? actually do not know what u are talking about but will check with the 'big' zoo when i am next visit (now daughter is in army so we get there less often, where she worked)....

our pensioned lab female baboon, mali, is still in a monkey shelter as she was rejected by several zoos and those that wanted her were unsuitable (mostly east block countries); pancho the spider monkey was reintroduced to a large group in the 'big' zoo but did not acclimatize well,and he is dangerous with women caretakers (apparently suffered abuse by a woman before he was even moved to us, 15 yrs ago. six years now he is also in the monkey shelter located in ben shemen israel).

anyway, why dont u try the various administrations involved with exotics and import/export...

good luck

edit: sp.

Edited by bina

• 4 weeks later...
Nienke, I wrote a long answer to you but unfortunately, MS Windows XP.... ;-)

Ethics... I can discuss ethics for a long time... And if I wanted to, I would have started a topic about that.

Offspring at zoo´s are very often killed since the zoo´s can not sell, nor release the animals. They reproduce too good!!! That is also one of reasons why even Golden Lion tamarinds (one of the most endangered species) now receive birthcontrol pills. Sometimes, even in the wild, babies are killed by the group and at zoo´s, the zookeepers do what they can to save the baby and end up with quite a few of handraised monkeys... What is ethics?

And where the animals used to live, there you now have your house. So to release them back, is not possible. And if a snake comes in to "your" yard, maybe... you will kill it for trespassing... If the monkeys who used to live there, came back and took over the place again, you would shoot em off. Ethics?

I am very well aware of the ethic dilemma and the more experience I have got, the harder it is to answer that question for obvious reasons. So I skip that... I will not judge a person that has a monkey or wants one. Just how he keeps them. Or keeps the dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles or whatever.

Bina, I totally understand your point of view and I agree with most of what you said before. EC, US and most likely Israel is probably working in the same directions, with the same tools to create zoo´s and breeding centers we all want to see. But within EC, domestic animals are more or less, forbidden.... You are probably well aware of that debate...

A very interesting thread,it is legal to keep captive bred protected species of monkeys in certain countries,thailand is still in its infancy as far as animal protection and import regulations go. As far as the EC goes if you have the hard cash, Exotic animal dealers such As Man,int.feld in holland or Rosenkranz in Brussels can get you any species your heart desires!! I have a wee bit of experience caring for primates and other creatures with fur and feather :D but I must emphasize I have never yet met anyone who has successfully kept a sexually mature male Capuchin, bad tempered and very dangerous and a definite no no if you have children :D remember they are omnivores, they love meat especially birds, of course they are cute and cuddly, but only until they become sexually mature, most monkey rescue centres started up with pet monkeys from families who thought they had what it takes to turn a monkey into a little semi-human part of the family, just remember that a capuchin has 5 hands to grab you with, and when full grown awfully big teeth to bite you with :o But everyone must make their own choices and answer to their own conscience :D Nignoy

NEW DELHI ­ Wild monkeys attacked a senior government official who then fell from a balcony at his home and died Sunday, media reported.

New Delhi Deputy Mayor S.S. Bajwa was rushed to a hospital after the attack by a gang of Rhesus macaques, but succumbed to head injuries sustained in his fall, the Press Trust of India news agency and The Times of India reported.

Monkeys are lovely - but not as pets. They are wild animals and should stay that way. We have all cuddled them but let them stay the way they are. Would you keep a pet tiger or lion? But an ouranghoutan "Man of the forest" perhaps... just for the kisses

Edited by Patsycat