Television Licence

gennisis

You are obviously from the UK!

The UK is the ONLY country in the world that enforces all of it's population to buy a license to allow them to watch TV. Even if you never watched or listened to the BBC in your life you still have to pay . . . great eh! :o

Also to point the cherry on the cake the UK is the only country in the world that will imprison folks purely for watching TV without a license (even pensioner!)! Something to be proud of ain't it! :D

The UK is the ONLY country in the world that enforces all of it's population to buy a license to allow them to watch TV. Even if you never watched or listened to the BBC in your life you still have to pay . . . great eh! :o

NOT TRUE !!! :D ...........I have lived some years in Ghana...needed one there!

Maybe you might rephrase with " one of the few countries in the world"?

And whats wrong with punishing people for breaking the law of a country? wether just or unjust? The law is the law.......or are You some anarchist or something? :D

And whats wrong with punishing people for breaking the law of a country? wether just or unjust? The law is the law.......or are You some anarchist or something? :D

hmmm I was sure I'd read previously the UK were the one and only . . . .

The anarchist grannys sitting in their slippers, knitting and watching the telly are the ones I worry about the most! :D

A quick google. . . my bad . .. . it seems as the following countries have some kind of licensing:

Ireland

Netherlands

Pakistan

Ghana

Japan

Netherland, Pakistan pay via tax or electric bils, Ireland - sames as UK (which isn't really surprising!), Ghana (17p per year!) and Japan (a receiving fee).

But only the UK with put you in prison - that's the bit I confused with being the only license payers! :o

Edited by technocracy

Also to point the cherry on the cake the UK is the only country in the world that will imprison folks purely for watching TV without a license (even pensioner!)! Something to be proud of ain't it! :D

And then you can sit in your cell all day and watch tv, ! :D

I have managed to avoid paying a licence all my life for a tv in the UK my ex used to work for the BBC the money they waste you would not believe it was the worlds cushiest job. A good website how to avoid paying somewhere but cant remember where. Best never to be on the electoral role after all they are all to**ers.

I advocate all to not pay. Dont worry thuugh the beeb have sold all those old programmes from the 80's and before to other companies so even though you have paid for them to be made once with your licence you can now pay again to the other compan ies!

Blow up the beeb I say ps the beeb only get a fraction of the licence the rest goes to the govt general coffers to pay for the gay/lesbian/drug taking/anti soicial/ multi cultural, behavioural problems children drop in centres.

the quality of tv is so low and there are so many adverts and state propaganda that in thailand the government doesn't bother to charge for it. The cost of running and enforsing the project would be higher than the revenue generated by it. Same goes with the other taxes like for owing a property.

however, the tv licence exists in many more countries than those 5 listed. It's not as much a source of revenue but a way of controlling the local population. In the UK the TV licensing office has a bigger budget than MI5. They have the right to enter any property and inspect all rooms. The solution is not to have the TV or not allow any stranger to cross your doorstep simply by not opening the front door to anybody who you don't know.

the quality of tv is so low and there are so many adverts and state propaganda that in thailand the government doesn't bother to charge for it. The cost of running and enforsing the project would be higher than the revenue generated by it. Same goes with the other taxes like for owing a property.

however, the tv licence exists in many more countries than those 5 listed. It's not as much a source of revenue but a way of controlling the local population. In the UK the TV licensing office has a bigger budget than MI5. They have the right to enter any property and inspect all rooms. The solution is not to have the TV or not allow any stranger to cross your doorstep simply by not opening the front door to anybody who you don't know.

"TV Licensing" (a private consortium contracted by the BBC to collect the license fee) has no right of entry without a warrant issued by the courts.

lol, you're right there too mike, 24 hour TV available in the cell in UK, even have your own remote control.

The UK is the ONLY country in the world that enforces all of it's population to buy a license to allow them to watch TV. Even if you never watched or listened to the BBC in your life you still have to pay . . . great eh! :D

lol, you're right there too mike, 24 hour TV available in the cell in UK, even have your own remote control.

Speaking from experience? :o

• 1 year later...

I evaded the TV Licence Fee by throwing out all my TV receiving equipment - almost nothing worthwhile on British TV these days.

I resorted to Radio 4 (in decline) and downloading QI and University Challenge via iPlayer.

There should be a 90% licence fee discount for persons with 3 digit IQs.

So right, only I think a prison sentance isn`t enough for these criminal tele watchers, they should impose the death penalty on them.

Ohhh, so glad to be living in Thailand.

South Africa too.

Mind you, would you PAY to watch Thai TV???????????????

is it only me who didnt get the question? :o

I thought the OP was asking about license to 'operate' a tv station?

rather than license to watch it

doh me

PS. the latter I would look at /call a tax, rather than a license

there might be something to that effect in Germany too?

cant remember for sure..a friend was telling me about it....cos I asked how its enforce, and he said it comes with when you buy a TV. cant remember which friend told me, so cant remember which country it is.....