Amazing Discoveries!

soundman

Here is a chance for you to impress your fellow TV'ers with your general knowledge.

You may list a historical event & how it changed civilisation... Good or Bad.... :D

or

Something you have witnessed & its effects..... :o

or

One of your own!!!! :D

Just to get you started..

Amazing Thailand! :D

One of the most successful :bah: tourist campaigns I have witnessed!

Cheers & have fun. :D

Soundman.

Things I've witnessed in person:

Japan: Kobe Earthquake, Tokyo Subway Poison Gassing by Cultists

They're effects: ALL my Japanese friends, up to then, had always boasted to me about "safe Japan," with it's earthquake PROOF buildings and practically no crime or violence. No longer.

USA: Mount St. Helens eruption--pressure wave "boom" and ash fall aftermath

Effects: The view the local population of Cascade volcanoes had been "pristine," "peaceful," "sublime," and "recreational," despite warnings from geologists and volcanologists for decades. The mentality changed to to something a bit more ominous and forbidding. All over the northwest "Volcano Evacuation Route" signs sprouted up, and insurance companies hiked rates for homes in the pathways of piroclastic flows and potential flooding by suddenly-melting glaciers. Now the Northwest mentality could include "respect."

USA: Underground nuclear blast in Nevada. I was camping at the time in nearby Death Valley, sleeping on the ground in a tent.

Effects: Thinking I had been through major earthquake, I learned the news later that day. Made me realize how fragile our earth really is in the face of man's onslaughts.

Thailand: Take-over by junta, September 19, 2006

Effects: Never dreamed I'd ever go to sleep in a democracy and wake up to a military dictator. It made me personally realize how really fragile democracies can be, (despite the fact that this was the 17th repeat in Thailand, in modern times). "Those who ignore history are doomed to relive its errors...." :o

Edited by toptuan

They're effects: ALL my Japanese friends, up to then, had always boasted to me about "safe Japan," with it's earthquake PROOF buildings and practically no crime or violence. No longer.

Effects: The view the local population of Cascade volcanoes had been "pristine," "peaceful," "sublime," and "recreational," despite warnings from geologists and volcanologists for decades. The mentality changed to to something a bit more ominous and forbidding. All over the northwest "Volcano Evacuation Route" signs sprouted up, and insurance companies hiked rates for homes in the pathways of piroclastic flows and potential flooding by suddenly-melting glaciers. Now the Northwest mentality could include "respect."

USA: Underground nuclear blast in Nevada. I was camping at the time in nearby Death Valley, sleeping on the ground in a tent.

Effects: Thinking I had been through major earthquake, I learned the news later that day. Made me realize how fragile our earth really is in the face of man's onslaughts.

Effects: Never dreamed I'd ever go to sleep in a democracy and wake up to a military dictator. It made me personally realize how really fragile democracies can be, (despite the fact that this was the 17th repeat in Thailand, in modern times). "Those who ignore history are doomed to relive its errors...." :o

found a 1000b on the floor in tesco's today :D really ........

found a 1000b on the floor in tesco's today :o really ........

Dam.n, this sorta thing just NEVER happens to me. The most I've seen are satangs lying around and have been guilty of dropping them myself and not bothering to retrieve...so I could be the culprit. *shrugs* The closest I've been to discovering money is my own that I didn't know was there until I reach into the pocket and pull out a note of sorts. Oh happy day!

Personal : Drowned during a water baptism by the sea when I was 5. :D Even though I wasn't the one to be baptised I'd wandered away from the adults and ventured out to sea being the ever-adventurous explorer that I was. I don't wanna talk about the miracle that it was (I was already purple and foaming when I was found) coz of the skeptics and whatnot. But that event really did change me in many ways.

Kinda Personal : Was in Manhattan during 9/11 but thank God not anywhere near Ground Zero. Re-affirmed what I always knew...that I'm truly blessed.

Edited by fennielyn

Was kinda near and alot of ash come down. The farmers got big money for loss of crops, but had bumpers for many

years to follow. One year later, saw a small vile of Helens dust for sale for $3=polishing dust.

Bring up google earth and look ne of Vegas, sw of area 51. by Mercury Nv. amazing amount of old test blasts, but most underground, way down.

Time will tell, hope it doesnt take too long, but all asian democracies are corrupt, i think alot of western democracies too.

My most amazing discovery was on a fishing trip, Northern Quebec, overcast and windy day, asked my fishing buddy to drop me on the island meters away. Lit a fire on the shore, had a short nap, woke up and decided to walk around the island and look for interesting rock samples. When I made it back to the fire, a few meters away from where I had started, I spotted what seemed to be a small circle of fist sized stones with a slab sitting on top. I removed the slab and was amazed to find stone tools neatly placed there. :D Spear tips, scrapers, etc. Twenty one tools in all! Waved my buddy to come over, his reaction was ''You`ve seen too many cowboy and indian movies!'' :o

I carefully marked the location on my map. Wrapped them up neatly in a towel. Once back in town, with a shoebox full of stone tools, I brought them to an archaeological site where I was volunteering at the time. The head archaeologist freaked out and shouted frantically to the whole team to come over. He asked for my permission to bring the tools to the University he was affiliated with for further examination.

Months later, I received a letter from the provincial government thanking me for the discovery and that the tools were now their property. Did not get a chance to take pictures of them all but visited the lab later on. My find proved something unknown so far. The tools were found to be made of a certain type of stone only found in a certain area east of the province and were found in the western part, showing there was either trade between distant tribes or a yearly migration. I`ll email them and ask if they could send me some pics.

I still hang on to four arrowheads from another find and some pieces of decorated clay pots found while sifting wet sand from the river shore in my hometown.

I licked stamps to send out letters in Washington DC to promote the FIRST Earth Day on April 22, 1970. Al Gore wasn't there.

I was also at the famous White Night Riots May 21, 1979 at San Francisco city hall. I didn't burn any police cars or break the city hall doors though.

Edited by Jingthing

a local financial fenomenon. now it is history :o

dec. 19. annoncing the 30% reserve rules for foreign money. reaction: stock market's biggist 1 day loss.

dec. 20. sorry, made a mistake. we exclude stocks.

i still wonder how many insiders got rich in that one day last year. they should have a great xmas :D

toptuan

Effects: Never dreamed I'd ever go to sleep in a democracy and wake up to a military dictator. It made me personally realize how really fragile democracies can be, (despite the fact that this was the 17th repeat in Thailand, in modern times). "Those who ignore history are doomed to relive its errors...."

This post has been edited by toptuan: 2007-09-29 12:52:56

you need to get out more.