Mitsubishi Chonburi

Tony Clifton

It's our second car, we're selling it and were getting it serviced at the Mitsubishi dealer beforehand. Top shape except for the air-con not cooling. We asked to check the air-con not working, check plugs and wiring, change oil, lube job. They added gas to the aircon system.

Two days later, we pick up the car. Something weird is going on at the counter and my wife ends up telling me there's no charge while walking to the car. I stopped and said: Wait, something is wrong here, all that servicing and no charge? They f#$ed something up, you'll see. I sit in the car and run the engine and notice the fuel gauge stays right there, well below the E when I brought it in with a 3/4 full tank. I walked back in and asked where's all the gas that was in the car, and the odometer hasn't moved one bit, the numbers match the ones on the invoice. What's going on here? The girl left and came back saying someone said "we let the car idle for 4 hours to see if it would overheat". :D

I said that was "bullshit and you know it. I tore up the bill and left.

One kilometer down the road, thinking the missing fuel was the reason why there was no service charge and that I'd never go there again, smoke and noise starts coming out from under the hood with a burning rubber and plastic smell. I stopped and popped the hood, looked like one of the belts, the one running the aircon compressor maybe. Did a u-turn and drove back in at the dealer, popped the hood just in time for flames to go up. Raging mad by now, I left the car there with them, burning, and went to get cigarettes and a pop next door before doing something stupid.

Part two in a day or two. :o

WATCH YOUR FUEL GAUGE WHEN YOU GET YOUR VEHICLE SERVICED. GET IT WRITTEN ON THE INVOICE.

(Wife says it's not uncommon to get fuel stolen , even staff using your car staying overnight)

It's correct. Many times fuel get stolen, when the car is parked outside overnight, outside of a garage or in the aoutside area ow a work shop.

Burning: It look like your AC copmressor is knocked down. Ti's can happen any time. I guess your AC was filled up. Before the compressor not work, becahue no freon gas inside, so there is a electric valve which disconnect the AC compressor when the gas is below the minimum level. It is not only the freon gas, there is also oil in the system. So they filled up freon and your AC compressor statrt working, maybe the bearing knocked and even the coil in the front of the compressor poulie start bruning. If you notice this you have to STOP the AC imidently and you can drive without trouble. But if you keep the AC on, when the coul start burning your car can catch on fire easly. I know this is bad luck, but no one can know when the compressor gonna knock and the coil get fire. can happen any time. The same thing can happen if a fuelhose blow next to the ignition coil for example and the car catch on fire. Can happen any time.

It's correct. Many times fuel get stolen, when the car is parked outside overnight, outside of a garage or in the aoutside area ow a work shop.

Burning: It look like your AC copmressor is knocked down. Ti's can happen any time. I guess your AC was filled up. Before the compressor not work, becahue no freon gas inside, so there is a electric valve which disconnect the AC compressor when the gas is below the minimum level. It is not only the freon gas, there is also oil in the system. So they filled up freon and your AC compressor statrt working, maybe the bearing knocked and even the coil in the front of the compressor poulie start bruning. If you notice this you have to STOP the AC imidently and you can drive without trouble. But if you keep the AC on, when the coul start burning your car can catch on fire easly. I know this is bad luck, but no one can know when the compressor gonna knock and the coil get fire. can happen any time. The same thing can happen if a fuelhose blow next to the ignition coil for example and the car catch on fire. Can happen any time.

Stringray, I'm trying to decipher your reply. Please forgive me if you are not a native English speaker.

1] You say that you think the compressor is broken.

2] You say that there is an electric valve that disables the a/c if the system is below pressure. The problem with this is that if there is such a pressure sensor, it is highly unlikely that it will work. Why? Because if there is a leak in the a/c system (providing it is not a huge hole), the gas will leak out & will be replaced with air. When the system is started, the ingested air will pressurise & therefore the "low pressure cutout" may not work.

Normally, with the new auto refrigerants, oil is added separately to the gas.

3] "...and even the coil in the front of the compressor poulie start bruning." From this, I take it you mean the condenser coil started to burn. How can it easily burn? It is aluminium.

I think they probably buggered up the wiring somehow. Fires in engine bays are usually caused by fuel leakages &/or electrical problems.

All of this is does not reflect the real problem. It appears to me as though the dealership caused problems, of which they are aware & now want no responsibility. They obviously stuffed something up & hoped that by not charging for the "service", they could avoid any comeback. This "loss of face" thing is out of control. The sooner that God or Buddha tells these people that this behaviour is rubbish, the better.

Stringray, I'm trying to decipher your reply. Please forgive me if you are not a native English speaker.

1] You say that you think the compressor is broken.

2] You say that there is an electric valve that disables the a/c if the system is below pressure. The problem with this is that if there is such a pressure sensor, it is highly unlikely that it will work. Why? Because if there is a leak in the a/c system (providing it is not a huge hole), the gas will leak out & will be replaced with air. When the system is started, the ingested air will pressurise & therefore the "low pressure cutout" may not work.

Normally, with the new auto refrigerants, oil is added separately to the gas.

3] "...and even the coil in the front of the compressor poulie start bruning." From this, I take it you mean the condenser coil started to burn. How can it easily burn? It is aluminium.

I think they probably buggered up the wiring somehow. Fires in engine bays are usually caused by fuel leakages &/or electrical problems.

All of this is does not reflect the real problem. It appears to me as though the dealership caused problems, of which they are aware & now want no responsibility. They obviously stuffed something up & hoped that by not charging for the "service", they could avoid any comeback. This "loss of face" thing is out of control. The sooner that God or Buddha tells these people that this behaviour is rubbish, the better.

Could be the compressor seized and caught fire ? ,..frustrating with thais isnt it, strange why they didnt charge you ,ask the manager for an explanation, not easy i know but stay calm,.if it was wiring that caught fire it would have been belching black smoke, ,to be fair i cant think of a reason they wouldnt have told you if there was a problem as they would be making some money wouldnt they ? most odd,

Could be the compressor seized and caught fire ? ,..frustrating with thais isnt it, strange why they didnt charge you ,ask the manager for an explanation, not easy i know but stay calm,.if it was wiring that caught fire it would have been belching black smoke, ,to be fair i cant think of a reason they wouldnt have told you if there was a problem as they would be making some money wouldnt they ? most odd,

How can an aluminium alloy compressor catch fire? Aluminium only burns (the same as other metals) at extremely high temperatures.

I think what they did was realize that after adding gas to the AC, it did not work still, short of checking or even putting in a new compressor, they cut corners as usual and tightened the sh!t out of the rubber belt.

The car is still at the dealer, no news yet.

How can an aluminium alloy compressor catch fire? Aluminium only burns (the same as other metals) at extremely high temperatures.

there are components inside that can overheat and ignite,the housing is alloy, the internals are made up of other materials

It's our second car, we're selling it and were getting it serviced at the Mitsubishi dealer beforehand. Top shape except for the air-con not cooling. We asked to check the air-con not working, check plugs and wiring, change oil, lube job. They added gas to the aircon system.

Two days later, we pick up the car. Something weird is going on at the counter and my wife ends up telling me there's no charge while walking to the car. I stopped and said: Wait, something is wrong here, all that servicing and no charge? They f#$ed something up, you'll see. I sit in the car and run the engine and notice the fuel gauge stays right there, well below the E when I brought it in with a 3/4 full tank. I walked back in and asked where's all the gas that was in the car, and the odometer hasn't moved one bit, the numbers match the ones on the invoice. What's going on here? The girl left and came back saying someone said "we let the car idle for 4 hours to see if it would overheat". :D

I said that was "bullshit and you know it. I tore up the bill and left.

One kilometer down the road, thinking the missing fuel was the reason why there was no service charge and that I'd never go there again, smoke and noise starts coming out from under the hood with a burning rubber and plastic smell. I stopped and popped the hood, looked like one of the belts, the one running the aircon compressor maybe. Did a u-turn and drove back in at the dealer, popped the hood just in time for flames to go up. Raging mad by now, I left the car there with them, burning, and went to get cigarettes and a pop next door before doing something stupid.

Part two in a day or two. :o

WATCH YOUR FUEL GAUGE WHEN YOU GET YOUR VEHICLE SERVICED. GET IT WRITTEN ON THE INVOICE.

(Wife says it's not uncommon to get fuel stolen , even staff using your car staying overnight)

Which Mitsubishi garage in Chonburi did you go to as there are several here?

I live in Conburi, have a mitsubishi and want to make sure I avoid that one.

It`s the Mitsubishi dealer opposite to Makro ot is it True Value. Near the pedestrian walkway that crosses over Sukhumvit.

The car isn`t a burnt out shell.

They phoned hours earlier today wanting to fax us an estimate to replace the compressor, nothing yet. Maybe the fax machine caught fire.

there are components inside that can overheat and ignite,the housing is alloy, the internals are made up of other materials

You've got my attention now.

So, the compressor caught fire on the inside? What 'components' inside the compressor can overheat & ignite? Doesn't fire need air to sustain itself?

I find your statement strange considering that an automotive a/c compressor is essentially 'sealed'.

As another poster said, it's more likely that the v-belt caught fire but even that would be strange under these circumstances.

Maybe there was no fire, where are the photo's. Just a lot of hot air.

As for no charge this is normal at some garages if they try to fix it and can't.

One minute in your post you say no charge and then you say you tore the bill up was the bill for 0 bt.

I think you need some more pop to cool down. :o

Maybe there was no fire, where are the photo's. Just a lot of hot air.

Yeah, I make up stories. Do you carry a camera to your dealer every time? :o

As for no charge this is normal at some garages if they try to fix it and can't.

So we got a free oil filter and oil change, free lubrication, free gas for the air con system plus labour with the car sitting there for two days?

One minute in your post you say no charge and then you say you tore the bill up was the bill for 0 bt.

Yup, the invoice was 0 baht.

I think you need some more pop to cool down. :D

I think you need to read other topics instead.

Edited by Tony Clifton

When you switch on the AC unit in a car, you activate a magnetic clutch. This switches the pulley from free wheeling with the belt to actually driving the compressor.

As most should know, an electro magnet is basically a coil of wire with a current going through it. The coils can fail and overheat (possibly catching fire) secondly if something gone wrong inside the compressor causing it to seize, it can't turn and the friction created by the drive belt would be phenomenal and would create billowing smoke very very quickly, in this scenario there would be screeching noises as well. The magnetic clutch could also slip again causing heat and friction but likely less smoke and noise. Old belt dust grease and local cables etc could then catch fire.

Three of the more common things that cause AC compressors to fail.

1. Overcharging - can allow liquid refrigerant to return to the compressor causing hydraulic lock.

2. Over filling oil - same as above.

3. Overtightening of the drive belt - overloads bearings and they eventually collapse and jam. (aka seize)

Hope that can explain to some the potential for fire.

I'm not native english speaking. So i try to explain: In the front of the compressor in the poulie is a electric coil, wich make a magnetic field and so it is like a clutch and the poulie will lock up and the compressor statrs work, or the clutch will relese the poulie when the electric get cut by thermostart, switch ,etc. So if the electric power comes to the "clutch" the compressor start working, but if the compressor is nocked down, the clutch coil can start burnig easly and with a lot of steam, when the Gas come out from the compressor (the gas not burn, just steaming), then all looks like a fire. I had the same problem once in a Hyundai Sonata and the compressor coil catch fire.

You've got my attention now.

So, the compressor caught fire on the inside? What 'components' inside the compressor can overheat & ignite? Doesn't fire need air to sustain itself?

I find your statement strange considering that an automotive a/c compressor is essentially 'sealed'.

As another poster said, it's more likely that the v-belt caught fire but even that would be strange under these circumstances.

an explosion dosent need air, but makes air ! i may be wrong but they are quoting replacing the compressor tony says,.i had an alternater explode once and that was on fire, strange things can happen with heat,.a slipping belt can eventually ignite too ,.

When you switch on the AC unit in a car, you activate a magnetic clutch. This switches the pulley from free wheeling with the belt to actually driving the compressor.

As most should know, an electro magnet is basically a coil of wire with a current going through it. The coils can fail and overheat (possibly catching fire) secondly if something gone wrong inside the compressor causing it to seize, it can't turn and the friction created by the drive belt would be phenomenal and would create billowing smoke very very quickly, in this scenario there would be screeching noises as well. The magnetic clutch could also slip again causing heat and friction but likely less smoke and noise. Old belt dust grease and local cables etc could then catch fire.

Three of the more common things that cause AC compressors to fail.

1. Overcharging - can allow liquid refrigerant to return to the compressor causing hydraulic lock.

2. Over filling oil - same as above.

3. Overtightening of the drive belt - overloads bearings and they eventually collapse and jam. (aka seize)

Hope that can explain to some the potential for fire.

Now this is an explanation that makes sense. :o

an explosion dosent need air, but makes air ! i may be wrong but they are quoting replacing the compressor tony says,.i had an alternater explode once and that was on fire, strange things can happen with heat,.a slipping belt can eventually ignite too ,.

If the chemical reaction that causes the explosion makes oxygen, you are correct. But not all chemical reactions make oxygen.

Alternators are full of cooling holes, so yes, things inside the alternator can easily catch fire & burn.

I think that Pomthai is on the money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the car back, a month later, aircon works. They had to change the compressor and other parts which were obviously already dead at the first visit but looks like tightening the belt was a quick fix solution that blew up in their face.

Oh, first visit, 3/4 full gast tank was empty when I got the car back.

Put in 500 baht worth drove down the road and came back with a care on fire.

Picked up the car yesterday, not a drop of fuel left again. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

Got the car back, a month later, aircon works. They had to change the compressor and other parts which were obviously already dead at the first visit but looks like tightening the belt was a quick fix solution that blew up in their face.

Oh, first visit, 3/4 full gast tank was empty when I got the car back.

Put in 500 baht worth drove down the road and came back with a care on fire.

Picked up the car yesterday, not a drop of fuel left again. :o

Well, was it free again?

That's pretty bad customer service! I got upset when the mechanics used our old car for running up the street to buy snacks; I even saw the guy coming back to the shop with his goodies. I didn't say anything, but perhaps if I did they would have claimed to be "test driving" it. I didn't know cars needed to be test driven after an oil change :o