Light Bulbs

Travel2003

Try the small flourescent ones. They last forever & use far less electricity.

Hi

Have tried different types, but not that one.

Flourescent ones good in the living room?

I start wondering if this can be because of some kind of fluctuation (is that the right word?) in the electricity.

Change to the Energy saving bulbs and this will reduce the failure rate. I do think that in many places the quality of electrical delivery is a factor. I note that even with these units they have a shorter life span than one might expect, but still outlast the conventional incandescent variety, in part since they are more tolerant of variance.

Regards

post-33892-1191143462.jpg

/edit add qualifier//

Edited by A_Traveller

I worked in lighting research a few years ago.

If your incandescents do not last 3 months, something is wrong

even if you never turned them off.

You could have power problems of some kind.

Where are you located ? City, kind of dwelling, floor #.

Florescents should last one to three years.

I worked in lighting research a few years ago.

If your incandescents do not last 3 months, something is wrong

even if you never turned them off.

You could have power problems of some kind.

Where are you located ? City, kind of dwelling, floor #.

Florescents should last one to three years.

Chatujak area (close to Imax, Ratchayothin).

Dont like the new types of bulbs as they have this kind of "hard" light.

Yes, my incadecent bulbs go out fast, sometimes a week or two is all I get from Phillips in my office. At home, they do seem to last longer.

Most flourescents give off a 'cool' colored light that is unappealing (think 7-11 ).

If you go with flourescents, look for the warmer color. Says 'warm' on the box.

Dont like the new types of bulbs as they have this kind of "hard" light.

All hot objects, like the sun, put out energy at all frequencies

from 0.3 to 0.7 nanometers [wavelength]. This is incandescence.

This light inlcudes the reds that make human skin seem warm and attractive.

Also makes all colors look richer and more vivid.

Flourescents put out energy at only three narrowband frequencies.

Thus the hard, sterile look and feel of a bathroom or factory floor.

But flourescents are 5-7 times more efficient [electricity per lumen output]

So this is the tradeoff.

To save energy and electric bills you want flourescents.

For enjoying life and felling good you want an incandescent.

Try the bedroom and living room with incandescents and flourescents

for bathroom and kitchen.

Edited by paulfr

Incandescent bulbs are very susceptible to harmonics (both voltage and current) and there is an abundance of harmonics in multi dwelling buildings (due to the DC drive elevators) as well as generally throughout Thailand from MEA and PEA and their customers processes.

It used to be that the fluorescent bulbs also gave off harmonics (harmonics are wasted energy) and reduced the efficiency of them (bet they never told you that too!!) but they may have fixed that problem now but I am not sure.

:o

Incandescent bulbs are very susceptible to harmonics (both voltage and current) and there is an abundance of harmonics in multi dwelling buildings (due to the DC drive elevators) as well as generally throughout Thailand from MEA and PEA and their customers processes.

It used to be that the fluorescent bulbs also gave off harmonics (harmonics are wasted energy) and reduced the efficiency of them (bet they never told you that too!!) but they may have fixed that problem now but I am not sure.

:o

Older fluorescent tubes never passed harmonics back into the grid. I think that you are thinking of Power Factor because the older type fluoros used inductive ballasts, which operated at a reduced power factor & were therefore less efficient. The new "electronic" ballasts actually put harmonics back into the grid...much the same as the Compact Fluorescent lights do.

If the normally hardy incandescent globe is constantly blowing, you can bet that there is a supply problem...most likely voltage.

• 4 weeks later...

Re ompact fluoro lamps (globes), I've not checked this on Google, but have heard that these globes contain a small amount of mercury. Try not to break one indoors, is the hearsay. (I know you know about mercury, the vapour being doubleplusungood an all). Cheers

Dear John,

I guess it may seem nerdy and trainspotting and anorak and whatever, to discuss the merits of lightbulbs and other domestic stuff like water systems, septic tanks, and a host of other related stuff. But there are some of us who actually live here all year round, and are building houses or doing up condos, and for us, this info is very important and useful. If you find this so boring, why read it in the first place, and then, why bother to comment? There are many other forums within Thai Visa to go, or an incredible amount of other websites catering to your tastes. I could tell you a few, but they will soon be deleted, so I will not bother.

I shall refrain from starting a mud-slinging contest, but in the name of fairness, would you be so kind as to enlighten us on what topics you would engage us in deep and intelligent and intersting conversation about? Can you let us have a tiny little look into your undoubtedly amazing world?

I can't wait for the revelation we are about to experience. I hope the mods will excuse this little off topic post.

I can't believe there is a discussion taking palce about light bulbs!!

In a forum devoted to the arcana of a country's temporary visa laws, it is fair to say that there is no topic, however trivial, that cannot be grist for the aging expat's mill. But to single out the noble light bulb, that timeless symbol of illumination and inspiration, seems patently unfair.

I can't believe there is a discussion taking palce about light bulbs!!

Its not a discussion, you Moron!

It is an information exchange, about something that happens quite often, and from a person that lives in an apartement/house (and NOT a short time hotel).

The OP's problem was very common in the Philippines when I lived there. Talk around the expat water cooler more than once centered around the frequency with which light bulbs burned out. I was replacing them weekly in our house. One time I was in an upstairs room when a bulb actually exploded and went off like a firework. If I hadn't been in the room the house would have burnt down because it set a mattress on fire. Combination of some kind of electrical issue along with shoddy E. European bulb in that case. We have a house here and don't have the same problem, so the few bulbs we have don't die quickly thank goodness.

The OP's problem was very common in the Philippines when I lived there. Talk around the expat water cooler more than once centered around the frequency with which light bulbs burned out. I was replacing them weekly in our house. One time I was in an upstairs room when a bulb actually exploded and went off like a firework. If I hadn't been in the room the house would have burnt down because it set a mattress on fire. Combination of some kind of electrical issue along with shoddy E. European bulb in that case. We have a house here and don't have the same problem, so the few bulbs we have don't die quickly thank goodness.

i go through maybe 10 bulbs a month ,i seem to be changing them daily ,tried cheap ones and expensive ones ,no different ,have also got a voltage stabliser in the house..

There are little discs that fit in a screw socket between the

socket and the bulb [called a lamp in the industry].

They are basically just a resistor which changes the electrical

operating point of the lamp so that it runs at lower power and

this makes it able to run for years rather than months.

The downside is that the lamp runs at lower brightness and

you waste energy. But for applications where changing lamps

is expensive [large buildings, hard to get to locations like high

ceilings], it is effective.

These discs might be able to absorb the voltage irregularities

and solve the problem.

I do not know if there are similar devices for flourescent devices.

And there is an issue about if they will work at all for starting

mode as well as operating mode.

Just some thoughts ......

Edited by paulfr

There are little discs that fit in a screw socket between the

socket and the bulb [called a lamp in the industry].

They are basically just a resistor which changes the electrical

operating point of the lamp so that it runs at lower power and

this makes it able to run for years rather than months.

The downside is that the lamp runs at lower brightness and

you waste energy. But for applications where changing lamps

is expensive [large buildings, hard to get to locations like high

ceilings], it is effective.

These discs might be able to absorb the voltage irregularities

and solve the problem.

I do not know if there are similar devices for flourescent devices.

And there is an issue about if they will work at all for starting

mode as well as operating mode.

Just some thoughts ......

I've never heard of this "disc" you speak of but I'll hazard a guess & say that it simply reduces the supply voltage to a lamp. This will be great for incandecent lamps - a supply voltage reduction of 5% can increase the life of an incandescent lamp by up to 50%. The only proviso being that the supply voltage is not already too high. This method is disastrous for any other type of lamp.

A great way to save money using those expensive low voltage halogen lamps is to supply a number of them with a "proper" transformer (not anything like the transformers supplied with them). This is assuming that you haven't already got "electronic" transformers to go with these lights.

I've never heard of this "disc" you speak of but I'll hazard a guess & say that it simply reduces the supply voltage to a lamp.

I've heard of them many years ago. I was under the impression that it was a diode which would cut the average voltage to the lamp in half by supplying only half a cycle. Seems if you would use a dimmer and a bulb at twice the rating and run it at half power to give the same lighting it would extend the bulb life considerably. I have a table light with a dimmer and the same type of bulb used in my stair well lights. The stair bulbs last about 3-4 months before going. The bulb on a dimmer still running after 8 years. :o

I've never heard of this "disc" you speak of but I'll hazard a guess & say that it simply reduces the supply voltage to a lamp.

I've heard of them many years ago. I was under the impression that it was a diode which would cut the average voltage to the lamp in half by supplying only half a cycle. Seems if you would use a dimmer and a bulb at twice the rating and run it at half power to give the same lighting it would extend the bulb life considerably. I have a table light with a dimmer and the same type of bulb used in my stair well lights. The stair bulbs last about 3-4 months before going. The bulb on a dimmer still running after 8 years. :o

A dimmer will actually reduce the supply voltage to the lamp, thereby increasing its life substantially.

If what you say is correct (& I don't doubt you), a diode installed as a half wave rectifier will not necessarily increase the life of a lamp. Why? Because unless the RMS voltage is reduced (thereby the Peak -to-Peak voltage), the lamp is still receiving the maximum rated voltage. As a matter of fact, it could even worsen the life expectancy of a lamp because of the increased "on/off" heating/cooling affect as a result of the half wave rectification.