Cd Player Or Cd Capable Dvd Player

Upcountry

For a couple of silly reasons, I sold my quality CD player and DVD player before moving here a few years ago.

I've bought a few inexpensive DVD players in Thailand, and they all handle CD's terribly. They don't display the tracks numbers appropriately, fast forwarding, skipping tracks, entering track numbers, is all problematic.

I can't find a standard CD player upcountry.

So, I thought I'd ask TV members about brands and models of DVD players that work well with CD's.

Here are my requirements:

1. High quality sound of course (S/PDIF stereo output would be really great)

2. Display CD track numbers correctly (CD text would be good, but not required)

3. Remote and maybe face mounted > >>, < << buttons that correctly fast/rewind and skip back and forth between tracks

4. Capable of playing DVD's with any country code, like most players here.

It's amazing that even advanced models by B&J (Thai brand) can't do 2 and 3.

Thanks,

UC

Edited by Upcountry

For a couple of silly reasons, I sold my quality CD player and DVD player before moving here a few years ago.

I've bought a few inexpensive DVD players in Thailand, and they all handle CD's terribly. They don't display the tracks numbers appropriately, fast forwarding, skipping tracks, entering track numbers, is all problematic.

I can't find a standard CD player upcountry.

So, I thought I'd ask TV members about brands and models of DVD players that work well with CD's.

Here are my requirements:

1. High quality sound of course (S/PDIF stereo output would be really great)

2. Display CD track numbers correctly (CD text would be good, but not required)

3. Remote and maybe face mounted > >>, < << buttons that correctly fast/rewind and skip back and forth between tracks

4. Capable of playing DVD's with any country code, like most players here.

It's amazing that even advanced models by B&J (Thai brand) can't do 2 and 3.

Thanks,

UC

I suggest you to go for Philips 3146 DVD player ALL-IN-ONE. It can play virtually any disk, including DivX etc.

I have been using this for about 2 months and very satisfied. It does not provide much information on front panel, except for time and commands like OPEN, CLOSE etc. but provides in depth information on TV/Display. Has multiple output at back panel and a remote control, without any regional restrictions.

One of the main reasons, I preferred it over other players is that it can play any type of discs, such as CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD RW etc.

No, I dont work for them, I just found it quite amazing in this price range. :o

ajarnmark, solo siam, thanks for your replies.

ajarnmark, how much does your Philips cost?

Prompted by your mention that the Philips 3146 gives more info on screen, I decided to make another attempt to get my B&J DVD player to output to my computer LCD analog input. No dice. My model has a VGA output, but I guess I have to hook it up to a regular TV first, and play with the settings, I don't know.

I really want something that simply lets me navigate between tracks and displays track numbers correctly. THE B&J is inconsistent.

solo siam, I'll PM you.

UC

• 5 weeks later...
If you live upcountry you can have a look at tohome.com, they have few models for which you should be able to find online reviews.

Thanks, yeti, just saw your post.

I went to tohome but all I see are DVD players. I guess in this country CD players are only sold as part of VCD or DVD units. Makes sense for the majority of buyers here.

• 3 weeks later...