Amazing Tot Service...for Once

RueFang

About an hour ago I had the most amazing thing happen! For no apparent reason a TOT service crew just showed up at our house to check the service of our ADSL - we didn't even call them...all usual complaining about the company aside..that's pretty impressive service. We are supposedly on the 2 meg deal (free upgrade from 1024) but have yet to exceed 964 kb/s (normal is 800) download speed, checking every day for a month! I just checked the speed and it's hit 1122 kbps!! Miracles can happen..perhaps it may even get up to the promised 2000 kbps soon!

About an hour ago I had the most amazing thing happen! For no apparent reason a TOT service crew just showed up at our house to check the service of our ADSL - we didn't even call them...all usual complaining about the company aside..that's pretty impressive service. We are supposedly on the 2 meg deal (free upgrade from 1024) but have yet to exceed 964 kb/s (normal is 800) download speed, checking every day for a month! I just checked the speed and it's hit 1122 kbps!! Miracles can happen..perhaps it may even get up to the promised 2000 kbps soon!

That 1122 Kbps is that international speed or domestic?I got the 2 meg already and am very happy if I get 100 Kbps international.

Guess it's domestic! Only get 86 download 150 upload international (never checked that before!)...still, I'm happy with the speed cos it sure beats dial up and satellite that I had previously. Why does every speed test come back with a different speed? I got 86, 1124 and 56 kbps from 3 different sites, what's the deal with that?

Guess it's domestic! Only get 86 download 150 upload international (never checked that before!)...still, I'm happy with the speed cos it sure beats dial up and satellite that I had previously. Why does every speed test come back with a different speed? I got 86, 1124 and 56 kbps from 3 different sites, what's the deal with that?

when you are at a certain point in a city and drive different areas you will realize differences too even though the distance might be same. if there is heavy traffic a Ferrari will be as slow as an old pick-up truck. the big problem we are facing in Thailand is a "traffic bottleneck" when trying to reach international sites. on top of that we are also dependent on how heavy the international traffic is and how far away (in hops) the site is located we want to reach. try TOT in the early morning or past 02.00 hours in the night and you will most probably get the usual 80% of the nominal speed.

example (measurements of today):

189125390.png

189125006.png

I dont want to piss on anyones parade but..

Your HAPPY with 86Kb downloads ?? Thats 'amazing service' to you (while paying for 2Mbit.. more than 20x more than your getting)..

Have you ever used real broadband in the west.. Had near instant full screen streaming TV..

if nothing else just goes to show what being exposed to Thailand does to your expectations of service.

I also got an upgrade to 2mbs (after down period of 24 hours).

Regarding international bandwidth nothing has changed since a couple of days ago when download speeds went drastically down. From LA/ Chicago

on speedtest: 60-100kbs). I just to get 100kB easily when using a download manager ....

I called a technician. He said they were making repairs and that it would be back to the old situation. Not quite sure when. I give them a month then

switch.

PS It seems True knew TOT was going to be in trouble .... no free telephone line if you sign up for Internet any more!

Your HAPPY with 86Kb downloads ?? Thats 'amazing service' to you (while paying for 2Mbit.. more than 20x more than your getting)..

Have you ever used real broadband in the west.. Had near instant full screen streaming TV..

if nothing else just goes to show what being exposed to Thailand does to your expectations of service.

Do you live out in the boonies where you only have choice of one company? Have you ever used dial up in Thailand? I know for certain that's a resounding no. Going from 5 minutes to download one webpage to being able to watch video clips, youtube, only waiting perhaps a second (oh, maybe 2) for a web page to come up, etc is a massive difference....so yes I'm ecstatically happy! Very different life from living in the city.

I also am impressed with TOT adsl 2048k and the service that I get from the local office, technicians and the engineers every time I have had any problems. My download torrent speeds are excellent right now at 150k in the daytime and the full 200k by 10-11pm right through to 10am the following morning.

A previous poster asked if I was located in the TOT exchange, no no no, far from it, I dont even live in the city. I live in a large prosperous province in the South with very few tech savvy farang or thai people who only use their adsl allocation to play games, chat or browse the internet........ guess that leaves a lot of bandwidth for me to enjoy but I take it for granted as it has always been this way bar for the occassional glitch here and there.

Great value for money, no complaints whatsoever

JAF

I have to retract my critical points ......

The speedtest numbers may be low ... but now downloading from rapidshare (8 connections) at 200-224kBs.

Furthermore, I was impressed by the technicians who tried to solve the low speed and did everything in their power to upgrade as soon as possible.

Edited by sniffdog

big words but nothing behind them. some people have lowered their expectations because they accepted realities. others have high expectations but need a rubber sheet on their mattresses because of their wet dreams. i had a REAL 3mbit connection before i settled in Thailand. will wetting my bed at night force TOT or Maxnet to increase their speed?

:o

Edited by Dr. Naam

Why so bloody negative? Do the math .... before the upgrade I downloaded 112kB max, now it's 224kB ..... no dreams, just reality.

Just downloaded a 700+ MB movie in 59:34 minutes. Before took me 2 hours.

Edited by sniffdog

Do you live out in the boonies where you only have choice of one company? Have you ever used dial up in Thailand? I know for certain that's a resounding no. Going from 5 minutes to download one webpage to being able to watch video clips, youtube, only waiting perhaps a second (oh, maybe 2) for a web page to come up, etc is a massive difference....so yes I'm ecstatically happy! Very different life from living in the city.

Do I live in the boonies.. Did I use Thai dialup.. Sure did.. So your 'certain'ly wrong..

I was using 'broadband' (in very loose terms) here long before there was ADSL.. Back in the glory days of IPstar at 7500 baht per month and then sometimes as much as 7500 on top for going over my bandwidth (a system you can get in the boonies by the way.. There isnt just one company !!)..

What I am saying is.. The service your getting is <20th of the service your paying for.. Hardly cause for celebration is it ?? And if you had real expectation of what broadband can do when its got some real oomph you would know what your missing out on.. Streaming TV is one, games with low latency pings is another, etc etc etc..

I have given up on expecting real service with uptime and just live with whats here.. As Naam says no point wetting the bed about it.. But also no way I will be congratulating anyone giving me 1/20th of what they are agreeing to provide. Would they congratulate me on giving 1/20th of the bill ??

Why so bloody negative? Do the math .... before the upgrade I downloaded 112kB max, now it's 224kB ..... no dreams, just reality.

Just downloaded a 700+ MB movie in 59:34 minutes. Before took me 2 hours.

Those are pretty good numbers for TOT.. Pretty much flat out at 1000 / 2000..

Its the people with 80kb (10KB) that are getting the shitty end of the stick.

My initial cause for celebration was the fact they visited our house unannounced to check our service, I wasn't actually referring to the quality of the speed. It was only when I checked the speed an hour after their visit and it had improved greatly I was also happy.

Of course in an ideal world I would have a connection where I get instantaneous movie downloads or whatever but I live in Thailand and I use TOT..that's the reality and as Dr Naam says I've accepted the realities. Why complain my heart out when it does nothing. I only pay for 1meg, not 2. They called again today to get us to do a speed test while they were on the phone. It was over 1000 but they were still concerned (because of the free upgrade to 2meg) and said they'll pay us a visit this week to try and sort it out. So, even though it's crap, the service is what I'm talking about rather than the speed they provide. Just to clarify the reasons for my happiness :o