Toyota Fortuna 3.o D

Rainmaker

Im just thinking about getting new car and quite fancy the fortuna 3.0D. I havnt owned a diesel for years because basically the car I had put me off diesels, (noisey slow), but I hear deisel cars have move on alot. Im going to have a test drive before deciding but I wouldnt mind some general feedback from any owners out there, pluses and minuses plus answers to some of the queries below.

How many Kms from a full tank, Kms per Ltr ?

What the handling you like?

Are they noisey when there first started?

What the speed like, are they sluggish to start? whats the top end speed?

How much is the servicing?

Any thoughts and feedback is much appreciated

Im just thinking about getting new car and quite fancy the fortuna 3.0D. I havnt owned a diesel for years because basically the car I had put me off diesels, (noisey slow), but I hear deisel cars have move on alot. Im going to have a test drive before deciding but I wouldnt mind some general feedback from any owners out there, pluses and minuses plus answers to some of the queries below.

How many Kms from a full tank, Kms per Ltr ?

What the handling you like?

Are they noisey when there first started?

What the speed like, are they sluggish to start? whats the top end speed?

How much is the servicing?

Any thoughts and feedback is much appreciated

it sounds like its probably a while since you owned/drove a new generation turbodiesel, the new deisels are far superior and the performance is on par with a normally aspirated petrol of the same size almost,.the 3.0d4d is a super engine and as an example i drove a friends 2.7 vvti ( petrol ) fortuner and it felt lethargic,. the power of the diesel will amaze you if you havent driven one,.the engine at any revs over 1000 is almost as quiet as a petrol and quiter than some i had years ago !the handling is fine, it isnt a sports car but again you wil be surprised at how it handles,.you will hear the fortuner slated on this forum sometimes mostly by small car owners that dont seem to want to justify a 4x4 for some reason but i reckon they are having a go at the owners more than the car,. you will also hear stories about brakes having problems, whilst some are valid im sure toyota have corrected it on the new ones,im sorry i can help you on gas mileage, i have never done a gas check on any car i have ever owned ! , go have a drive, im sure you will be impressed, dont buy the petrol one !.top speed is probably near 170 but apart from the motorway youll probably never get up there ! Edited by mikethevigoman

The 2.7 Petrol engine is great to. I have it as well as the 3.0d4d Vigo.

The petrol version is more quit and also smoother then the diesel.

Both are great engines by the way.

ill agree, they are both good engines, given the choice though id opt for the diesel ,.that 2.7 does sound busy when revved though ,.

Go for the diesel...better fuel economy, less breakdowns (subject to maintenance), less pollutive that petrol engines, comparable performance to petrol engines but don't expect any "low down" torque (if you have a utility aka 'pickup') because one of the ways a new "general use" diesel is different from a true "work horse" diesel is that the newer diesels have over-square engines (not good for serious 4 wheel driving), which give maximum torque at higher RPM compared to the "under-square" engines.

Go for the diesel...better fuel economy, less breakdowns (subject to maintenance), less pollutive that petrol engines, comparable performance to petrol engines but don't expect any "low down" torque (if you have a utility aka 'pickup') because one of the ways a new "general use" diesel is different from a true "work horse" diesel is that the newer diesels have over-square engines (not good for serious 4 wheel driving), which give maximum torque at higher RPM compared to the "under-square" engines.

I have a diesel Fortuner and am VERY happy with it, including the "low down" torque. If by "low down" you mean idling (~800 rpm) I may agree, but the torque curve is absolutely straight (i.e. not a "curve"!) at 343 Nm from 1,400 - 3,200 rpm, which I think is pretty good. (Compared to a petrol engine it is FANTASTIC :o )

/Priceless

I have a diesel Fortuner and am VERY happy with it, including the "low down" torque. If by "low down" you mean idling (~800 rpm) I may agree, but the torque curve is absolutely straight (i.e. not a "curve"!) at 343 Nm from 1,400 - 3,200 rpm, which I think is pretty good. (Compared to a petrol engine it is FANTASTIC :o )

/Priceless

And anyone wanting more power i have a typhoon unit ( only for the 3.0D4D ),31 bhp increase,and more torque, 14000 baht, it gives exactly the same power up as another unit and they charge 34000 ! more details and graph chart on request,.

/Priceless

And anyone wanting more power i have a typhoon unit ( only for the 3.0D4D ),31 bhp increase,and more torque, 14000 baht, it gives exactly the same power up as another unit and they charge 34000 ! more details and graph chart on request,.

Mike,

What is this typhoon unit, is it a remapping of the ECU and what effect does it do to the torque, to me BHP is all about top speed which is not as important as getting to it, if it decreases the time my Fortuner gets from 60KPH to 120KPH then I would be interested.

/Priceless

Mike,

What is this typhoon unit, is it a remapping of the ECU and what effect does it do to the torque, to me BHP is all about top speed which is not as important as getting to it, if it decreases the time my Fortuner gets from 60KPH to 120KPH then I would be interested.

Thats exactly where it is, in the mid range, give me a call if you like ( no obligation ) 0831135929 Edited by mikethevigoman

What, if anything, is available for petrol engines?

I heard Toyota is going to fit aftermarket CNG kits to the petrol engine. It's great for saving money and there was a talk about it in our family, but I'm afraid performance will be far below the diesel.

Are their any turbo/intercooler sets for this engine?

What, if anything, is available for petrol engines?

I heard Toyota is going to fit aftermarket CNG kits to the petrol engine. It's great for saving money and there was a talk about it in our family, but I'm afraid performance will be far below the diesel.

Are their any turbo/intercooler sets for this engine?

you probably can get an intercooled turbo kit, it wont be cheap and unlike diesel it will have a drastic ( up to 50 per cent ) effect on economy,but done right you could probably get it up to 255-plus bhp !

Is CNG what I would think of as LPG ??

If so (and having lots of experience with LPG kits in many cars) dont forget you lose some BHP with an LPG conversion.. And the 2.7 petrol fortuna isnt over powered.. Would be a concern to me if speed / acceleration was a point thats being discussed already..

No, CNG is a Compressed Natural Gas, while LPG is Liquified bla bla bla - cooking gas, older techonolgy.

CNG is better known as NGV here.

Native systems, like on the Benz E-class, reportedly give the same power and acceleration. But yes, I expect 2.7l petrol engine to be quite slow, with CNG kit or not.

No, CNG is a Compressed Natural Gas, while LPG is Liquified bla bla bla - cooking gas, older techonolgy

Please don't confuse LPG with Propane (Propane is "cooking gas", disregarding what is being used in Thailand). Those people using LPG for cooking are fools looking for big problems.