Instrumental Music Teachers

Aussie

Are you wanting tuition in Western instruments (eg, piano ,guitar etc)...or Thai classical instruments (Ranaad, Kim etc)?????

Can the students speak both Thai and English?......many Thai classical instrument teachers speak only Thai.....as does mine.

Are you wanting tuition in Western instruments (eg, piano ,guitar etc)...or Thai classical instruments (Ranaad, Kim etc)?????

Can the students speak both Thai and English?......many Thai classical instrument teachers speak only Thai.....as does mine.

Western instruments, the majority of students does not speak Thai. English would be a logical language as all students speak English.

OK....western instruments, english language.......most music schools cater for that...try Yamaha music School Siam Centre or Seacon Square floor 4 near ECC.

Good luck.

I already play piano and organ and have recently studied Ranaad with a Thai teacher - great fun. Now studying Kim.

OK, how about Pattaya?

I have an 11 year old that has taken six months of piano lessons in the Middle East from a very good teacher.

I will need a teacher for her starting 3-4 weeks from now, when I retire there. I play as well and she has loads of potential.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I forgot to mention, she is fluent in Thai and English. :o

• 1 year later...

:o Jazz and Classical Institute offering a New York curriculum, the music lessons are taught by either thais music teachers or foreigners. Most students who studies at here are international students.

Contact information; Jazz and Classical Institute

BTS Chongnonsi, 2nd Diamond tower, 427/23, Silom Rd., Bangrak 10500

Tel: 02-636-7795

Cel: 06-633-0092

Email: [email protected]

www.jazzthailand.com

I think I can help with this.

There are different kinds of music schools. The shopping mall schools run by Yamaha and KPM are good places to take younger students. They are usually staffed by recent college music graduates, and have resonable fees. The english levels will vary, but you can find them in most of the major malls.

If your student is more advanced, you would be better off consulting teachers at some of the local universities, for private instruction.

Top music school in Thailand, and one of the top 3 in SE Asia - Mahidol University College of Music

Others that are not bad - Kasetsart University, Silpakorn University, Chulalongkorn Univerisity, and Rangsit University.

The rest will be much lower level in terms of instruction quality, facilities etc..

Three schools I would recommend (since I work at MU), would be the Mahidol University College of Music - Campus's for the General Public. These serve students as young as 3, through college level, and beyond. Many of the MU College of Music faculty teach at these campuses on the weekend.

located at Seri Center (Bang-Na)

and newly opened at Siam Paragon

Also, the Arun Aree Music Center (also called Dr. Sax). This is located at Central Pinklao

Sorry, no knowledge about Pattaya music schools....

But In Bkk try:

Maywadee Music Centre

4th Floor

Seacon Square

02-7218935 - 8

Good luck

There's a few fiddlers down in Pataya :o

I saw a music school down about Asoke when I took the khlong boat.

I am looking for a music school which can provide instrumental music lessons to students of an international school. Any tips/help in this search will be appreciated!

I think that it depends what instrument and at what standard the students currently are. Assuming that they can already read music and wish to play piano or keyboard then they are probably best off teaching themselves (with hours and hours of practice), or at most, some private tuition, but not in a classroom.

I am not as familiar with other instruments, but I guess that it depends on what the end objective is. I would sugest that bagpipes are practiced out of town!

I fully recommend students study from a private teacher. As a professional trumpet player, I can give you the number of famous trumpet players who were self taught. The number is a big fat zero.

Learning technique, musicianship, phrasing, and nuances of the instrument are best past in the private lesson setting.

Edited by jbowman1993

To whom it may concern,

Recently, I was going through a similar situation. I tried the new Mahidol shop at Paragorn, but the saxophone teacher is a second year undergrad student. The head teacher is a professional music teacher. I tried the shop because I am a teacher of chemistry for Mahidol University and thought they have an excellent standard.

My child has been learning saxophone for 3 years in U.S. The problems I was consistently coming into was the problem of rote learning. I was looking for more conceptual thought. Some theory background, technique, and stylistically appropriate teaching. Here are some ideas that we found:

Ko Saxman: good teacher, and puts out a good product, but mostly Thai students,

Mi Fah: some good stuff going on there.

Finally, i came to a new conclusion, a newer shop. The sax teacher there has experience teaching in USA. We've noticed that Thai and foriegn students learn 2 or 3 instruments with the teacher. Things seem to be interesting there because it is a small shop that offers a cheaper price than Mahidol in Paragon.

I'm not sure, but I think the shop is owned by a foreigner, if not, they speak excellent English and a little French.

Hope this helps