Windows Vista

LJS

I have recently installed windows vista home premium.It was a bad move.Had to install new drivers for both my printer and scanner.Both although quite new do not operate as before.The Cannon iP 3000 printer works but the easy photo print app. supplied with the printer is not supported by vista.Same with my Epsom scanner.Before I could control the scanner from the desktop.Now I have to press buttons on the scanner.

A lot of software that worked fine on windows XP is not supported by Vista.MY MS Train simulator does not work with vista.I have not tried to install Flight Sim because have also heard that it also is not supported by vista.

I wish that I had stayed with XP.I works much faster than Vista on most applications.To get vista to work the way it worked I should need to Buy a new printer,scanner and copies of games software that I used before.

My advice if you want a system for home use don't buy vista.I cannot understand why Microsoft bring out a new system that makes hadware and software previousley used on XP obsolete

Every new Windows version makes some old stuff obsolete. Vista has compatibility mode for older programs. As for your driver issues, blame the hardware vendor. It's not like Vista appeared with no notice.

FS2004 and FSX work great in Vista.

Guest Reimar
I have recently installed windows vista home premium.It was a bad move.Had to install new drivers for both my printer and scanner.Both although quite new do not operate as before.The Cannon iP 3000 printer works but the easy photo print app. supplied with the printer is not supported by vista.Same with my Epsom scanner.Before I could control the scanner from the desktop.Now I have to press buttons on the scanner.

I use an old SCSI Scanner:Epson Perfection 1200 on Vista and works well. I can use the software button or the button on the scanner just us under XP! But I'm ubable to use the Lexmark X215, a All in One Printer/Scanner/Copy/Fax under Vista. Lexmark didn't produce the driver and although didn't submitted the required infos to MS!! A bit strange!

A lot of software that worked fine on windows XP is not supported by Vista.MY MS Train simulator does not work with vista.I have not tried to install Flight Sim because have also heard that it also is not supported by vista.

I don't know about the Train Simulator but Flight Sim 2002, 2004 and FS-X works very well under Vista! But you need to have a good Graphic card with min 128 MB memory but 256 MB higly recommended!

I wish that I had stayed with XP.I works much faster than Vista on most applications.To get vista to work the way it worked I should need to Buy a new printer,scanner and copies of games software that I used before.

My advice if you want a system for home use don't buy vista.I cannot understand why Microsoft bring out a new system that makes hadware and software previousley used on XP obsolete

For me Vista is working very well and even old software from the '90 like Windows Draw works without problems.

I using Vista Ultimate and my comp is: AMD Atlohn 3800 X2, 2 GB memory, Nvidia 6600 512 MB

Fact remains it's a bad idea to install Vista on old hardware. It's not going to work very well. Blaming doesn't make stuff work. Upgrade when you buy a new machine, or better yet wait for SP2.

Good advice, or at least check your peripherals for compatibility before making the investment.

I agree...most of the "compatibility" issues regarding VISTA are actually the fault of the perrifials and 3rd party software vendors. Think about it for a minute...you have a 3 year old printer that works well with XP. Now you upgrade to Vista...it is the printer manufacturer's responsibility to write a new driver (if necessary) to work with Vista NOT Microsofts!!! If MSFT includes the driver in Vista it is just a favor for their customer but not their responsibility. Microsoft did not make any money when you bought the printer and it is not their job to support it...it is the printer manufacturer's.

Now continue on...is it in the printer manufacturer's interest to spend money and employee time to write a new driver for a 3-year old printer or write new Vista driver for their current line of printers and get people to buy these new printers. Think about it. Multiply this by the thousands of vendors out there who piggy-back on Windows and that's why you have some compatibility issues. They would rather you buy new software or hardware add-ons than spend money on writing new drivers for stuff they sold you years ago.

I do agree that in general, WinXP SP2 is a very good, stable, and secure OS so for most people no need to upgrade. In fact, I don't see why MSFT even really bothered with a big Vista OS...just should have added incremental improvements to XP and calling them XP updates/upgrades. Most of the "improvements" one gains with Vista can be had by XP users by downloading IE 7, WMP 11, and Windows Defender.

Now continue on...is it in the printer manufacturer's interest to spend money and employee time to write a new driver for a 3-year old printer or write new Vista driver for their current line of printers and get people to buy these new printers.

That's a really good point there. An incentive for HW manufacturers to not write Vista drivers. Spend money writing drivers or make money selling new hardware... tough choice!

I am using Cannon Easy-PhotoPrint 3.6.1 on my IP4000 and Vista without a problem. Do you have this version?

You don't mention what Scanner (Edit you did say Epson - sorry) you have but I am using CanoScan 5.0/LiDE70 on-screen control without any problem with Vista.

Make sure you are using the latest drivers and software.

changing a OS is a big step, cannot really understand why people just go ahead and download/install a new OS, and then are unhappy..

Hard drives are so cheap these days..... Myself I just bought another 200gig hard drive, unplugged the 200gig hard drive with XP Pro, and on the new hard drive installed Vista in a Partition, I then installed all the software and hardware and yes there are issues so at this time do not use Vista, it is in the PC, maybe will try again at a later date...... At moment have inside PC 2x 200gig + on USB have 1x 200gig , 2x 80gig and 1x 40gig, really must look at them as I still have windows 2000 and ME

I rebuild my PC every 18 months or so..

Vista will not run very good and is slower than XP on my present build on my PC... AMD Althon 4200 X2, 4 GB DDR 2 memory, NVIDIA 8800GT

Guest Reimar
changing a OS is a big step, cannot really understand why people just go ahead and download/install a new OS, and then are unhappy..

Hard drives are so cheap these days..... Myself I just bought another 200gig hard drive, unplugged the 200gig hard drive with XP Pro, and on the new hard drive installed Vista in a Partition, I then installed all the software and hardware and yes there are issues so at this time do not use Vista, it is in the PC, maybe will try again at a later date...... At moment have inside PC 2x 200gig + on USB have 1x 200gig , 2x 80gig and 1x 40gig, really must look at them as I still have windows 2000 and ME

Vista will not run very good and is slower than XP on my present build on my PC... AMD Althon 4200 X2, 4 GB DDR 2 memory, NVIDIA 8800GT

If Vista run slower than XP on the PC you mentioned than something is wrong! It could be a driver, some software but even the config of Vista. Normally Vista should run better than XP on that PC!

I use an AMD Atlohn X2 3800, 2 Gig DDR CL 2.5 PC 3200 and Nvidia 6600 512 MB and Vista runs at least 20 % or more faster than XP. In the FS-X I get 40 Frames instead of 28 with XP!

May you really deep checking your installation!

I'm also using the 4200x2 with only the 7800GT and Vista performs markedly better than the XP installation on the other partition so I'd take Reimer's advice and take a close look at your configuration. There's definitely something wrong there.

1, I think the problem with Visa is the ‘Microsoft SQL Server’ is not compatible, this is a must have…

2, I cannot get the desktop Icons small as I like them [have a LCD 21” monitor] they are far to big….. in XP I have them set on 18, but they look to be about 40 in Vista, set on smallest !!

3, Have Canon IP4000 printer works fine but in Visa the Scanner CanoScan LiDE70 will work 1x only, then states the Twain is missing……. Downloaded the newest drivers from Canon web site + used the CD both = missing Twain ??

Maybe will reformat the Visa partition and re install and see if it works.. 1st installing the ‘Microsoft SQL Server’ maybe try to use Dual booting Vista/Xp…….. The ‘Microsoft SQL Server’ program is used 20 – 50 times a day 6days a week.

As said I use LiDE70 scanner and have not noticed any problem but only use for copy function to make prints on IP4000. No problem doing that for many in a row using monitor control panel(s).

Driver is dated 11/21/06 and 12.1.1.0

Guest Reimar
2, I cannot get the desktop Icons small as I like them [have a LCD 21" monitor] they are far to big….. in XP I have them set on 18, but they look to be about 40 in Vista, set on smallest !!

To get the Icons smaller under Vista that's a very easy task and you can adjust to your requirement.

To do so:

1. click somewhere in the free space on the desktop;

2. hold down thw CTRL Key

3. use the Mouse Wheel to change the size of the Icons!

That's all!!

As mentioned the hardware makers are quite happy their old stuff won't work on Vista. They want you to pitch it and buy their new hardware. You would think some vendors might tweek their drivers for Vista to earn customer respect for their brand, but apparently not. But Microsoft is also guilty. I had a Sony digital camera that XP had built in drivers for. Vista has no such drivers so I am out of luck. I also lost use of several other things because the vendor doesn't support Vista. Another thing Microsoft could have done is just add USB support to Virtual PC and say FireWire too. That way you could at least install XP & drivers for your old hardware in a virtual machine. But without such options, a lot of people are forced to dual boot or downgrade. There was a time Microsoft was extremely focused on ensuring Windows was compatible with existing software and hardware. Those priorities have diminished it seems. Ultimately dropping support for the legacy things should make Linux a stronger competitor.

2, I cannot get the desktop Icons small as I like them [have a LCD 21" monitor] they are far to big….. in XP I have them set on 18, but they look to be about 40 in Vista, set on smallest !!

To get the Icons smaller under Vista that's a very easy task and you can adjust to your requirement.

To do so:

That's all!!

That's pretty cool. Cheers :o

To do so:

That's all!!

Many thanks

To do so:

That's all!!

Thanks for that Reimar it works a treat!

Cheers Rick

To do so:

That's all!!

Now how to do without a Mouse Wheel... unfortunately Thinkpads don't replicate that very well :o

Fact remains it's a bad idea to install Vista on old hardware. It's not going to work very well. Blaming doesn't make stuff work. Upgrade when you buy a new machine, or better yet wait for SP2.

Thanks for yours and other comments re Vista slow etc.New 2GB HD 2GB DDR2 New MB AMD 2Core 4000. Genuine Vista home premium with disk.I was getting the egg timer on every prog. that i opened.

Did a disk check and cleared off old stuff perhaps from when vista installed by the shop,or part old progs,that i have tried to install.Vista works much faster now.Can live with the scanner which is quite old,but the Cannon ip 300 is only 18months old and miss the photo print app.MS have their photo app but not as good or easy as cannon.

Guest Reimar

To do so:

That's all!!

Now how to do without a Mouse Wheel... unfortunately Thinkpads don't replicate that very well :o

Use an IBM USB optical Mouse with Wheel and it'll works vell!! Mouse available at Pantip for THB ~120.00 at 4. floor in the back!

Thanks for yours and other comments re Vista slow etc.New 2GB HD 2GB DDR2 New MB AMD 2Core 4000. Genuine Vista home premium with disk.I was getting the egg timer on every prog. that i opened.

Did a disk check and cleared off old stuff perhaps from when vista installed by the shop,or part old progs,that i have tried to install.Vista works much faster now.Can live with the scanner which is quite old,but the Cannon ip 300 is only 18months old and miss the photo print app.MS have their photo app but not as good or easy as cannon.

You need to update your software - IP3000 and PhotoPrint 3.6.1 will work fine on Vista as I mentioned earlier. Go to http://www.canon.com.sg/ and click on Support & Downloads - Inkjet Printers - select your printer and use that pop up page to download drivers (add on) for Vista and Software (Easy PhotoPrint 3.6.1 for Vista). Also the other software designed for Vista if you want them.

Thanks but new 2GB HD.2GB DDR2. NEW Asus board. AMD 2core 4000+.. Genuine Vista home premium with disk.After 2 weeks getting to like Vista better.will try to stick with it.Don't want to take backward step back to XP

Every new Windows version makes some old stuff obsolete. Vista has compatibility mode for older programs. As for your driver issues, blame the hardware vendor. It's not like Vista appeared with no notice.

FS2004 and FSX work great in Vista.

Thanks have not loaded FS yet The Train sym loads but hangs when finished.Hard to close prog. Have to Use control alt del to close prog.

You need to update your software - IP3000 and PhotoPrint 3.6.1 will work fine on Vista as I mentioned earlier. Go to http://www.canon.com.sg/ and click on Support & Downloads - Inkjet Printers - select your printer and use that pop up page to download drivers (add on) for Vista and Software (Easy PhotoPrint 3.6.1 for Vista). Also the other software designed for Vista if you want them.Thanks will try cannon again.Downloaded cannon ip 3000 driver before, but easy photo print was not supported.

You need to update your software - IP3000 and PhotoPrint 3.6.1 will work fine on Vista as I mentioned earlier. Go to http://www.canon.com.sg/ and click on Support & Downloads - Inkjet Printers - select your printer and use that pop up page to download drivers (add on) for Vista and Software (Easy PhotoPrint 3.6.1 for Vista). Also the other software designed for Vista if you want them.

Many thanks I now have Easy Photo Print with ip 3000.Downloaded per your advice.

Indeed I had comp issues with my Dell Laptop, I found Vista much slower than XP and so I downgraded to XP again. It is stable, rather fast and I don't have to worry about driver issues.

After all, I think Vista provides just a fresh look, nothing exciting really.

I stopped spending money just to make the latest OS to work. It is lost money.