Off To Singapore For Visa Run

Hi,

mysef, wife and two young children now find we have to go to Singapore for our non immigrant visas as Kuala Lumpur for some reason best known to them won't issue a Non immigrant 0 visa to a Male, but Singapore will :o .

This is already turning into an expensive exercise so I am hoping that someone here knows of an affordable, family friendly hotel somewhere near the Thai embassy in Orchard Road.

Also - on the subject of visas - more bloody visas - do we get a visa upon entry at Singapore or do we have to arrange something before we leave ?

Thanks in advance,

Phil & Susan - (resrea).

KL will not issue a non immigrant O visa or will not issue a multi entry non immigrant O visa? Important to know as have never heard of any refusal to issue a single entry O visa if married to a Thai.

Have you considered Penang? Understand they have returned to issuing multi entry visas after a short period of not doing so. Accommodations would be cheaper.

Most people can enter Singapore without a prior visa but you can look up your nationality on this site for information to any country.

Delta Visa & Passport Information

In the Straits Time yesterday CentrePoint Apartments were advertising Orchard Road places for as little as 85SGD a day but I am guessing thats what a long term booking works out at!

Cheap accom is not what singapore is famous for - however transport is very cheap and efficiant so staying away from Orchard is probably the best option.

In the Bugis area ther are cheaper lodgings such as the 7th Storey Budget Hotel which looks fine when I walk past it daily.

Hotel 81 and Fragrance Hotel are fairly reputable budget(ish) chains. If you really want to chance your arm there are plenty of local cheapo hotels in areas like Chinatown, Bugis or Geylang. There's a self-styled "backpackers hostel" just opened in Mosque Street (Chinatown).

Unlikely to find budget accom' on Orchard, but you can travel on the MRT (underground) for a couple of dollars per trip and it's very efficient.

KL will not issue a non immigrant O visa or will not issue a multi entry non immigrant O visa? Important to know as have never heard of any refusal to issue a single entry O visa if married to a Thai.

Have you considered Penang? Understand they have returned to issuing multi entry visas after a short period of not doing so. Accommodations would be cheaper.

Most people can enter Singapore without a prior visa but you can look up your nationality on this site for information to any country.

Hi,

thanks for the fast response - my wife and I are English and the kids were born in Australia - what we are trying to do, as my wife now has a teaching post here in Chiang Mai, is for her to sponsor our two year old son and for me to get the non immigrant 0 as a carer for our eldest son who is now at school - but his school phoned Kuala Lumpur and they told them that they will not issue the non immigrant 0 to a man, only to a woman - some confused sexual discrimination thing by the sound of it - anyway they were adamant that they wouldn't do it.

Another catch 22 that has reared it's ugly head is that Singapore have said that I must show that I have 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank account - but when I've tried to open an account the Thai banks won't let me do it on a tourist visa - it's all very confusing - bewildering even.

Best Regards,

Phil.

Was in KL 3 weeks ago and got a Non O Multi and didn't have to show any bank details, but I think taking my Thai wife with me and being married for 13 years helped a lot.

Sorry for the misread - I keyed on the Male and missed the visa for wife part.

If bank deposit must be in Thailand, (Singapore has accepted anywhere for some visa issues this year), if you go bank branch to branch you will find one that will open an account, but it may take some time and you may have to obtain a paper from your Consulate that you live at a specific address. It is a pain.

If bank deposit must be in Thailand, (Singapore has accepted anywhere for some visa issues this year), if you go bank branch to branch you will find one that will open an account, but it may take some time and you may have to obtain a paper from your Consulate that you live at a specific address. It is a pain.

Thanks again, I have the required amount - or the equivalent - in Australian dollar traveler's cheques, do you think that would keep them happy enough or not worth the risk ?

Phil.

Thanks again, I have the required amount - or the equivalent - in Australian dollar traveler's cheques, do you think that would keep them happy enough or not worth the risk ?

Phil.

A QUICK UPDATE:

I just asked my son's school to phone Penang and they will issue the '0' to a male - and they made no mention of the 400,000 BHT when asked about the requirements - so it looks like Penang is the way to go now,

Phil.

Phil.

A QUICK UPDATE:

I just asked my son's school to phone Penang and they will issue the '0' to a male - and they made no mention of the 400,000 BHT when asked about the requirements - so it looks like Penang is the way to go now,

Phil.

Just to let you know Sing does want to see you ahve at least 400K, but it doesn't have to be in a Thai bnak.  Trading account, overseas funds etc. were fine when I was there a couple months back.