Northshore, Markland, Vt6 : Sun Or Not Sun ?

Pattaya46

Hi guys,

About Beach Road condos ( Markland (soi 1), NorthShore (soi 5), VT6 (soi 10) ...)

which is the best side for appartment to rent ? North or South ?

It seems that the view is far better on the south side (view over the bay, Pattaya, islands)

but you must have the sun all the afternoon, and so I suppose it must be very hot

and you have to close curtains and put air-con all the time ? :o

Anyone already stay there ? Which side ? Any comments ?

Thanks,

Pattaya46

I stayed at the Markland from October to February at the Southside on a hight floor. First two month where hot at daytime; nighttime still hot but ok. North Side is cooler as the Southside was heating up during day and first had to cool down at night. Not too much airflow inside the condo's you had to open the entrance to get that. VT6 stays at a slightly different angle, as it is furter up the Bay.

Markland Southside get's all the noise of the bars from Soi 2/3/4/5 It's not very loud, but it's not quiet inside as long as you not close the balcony door. North side is less affected.

Pattaya46, I stayed in a high rise condo facing the North. I found that it was quite cool as the sun rarely penetrated the balcony more than half a metre in.

I also stayed in a west facing condo in the same building. What I found was that around 4 PM the sun would come shining right into the condo past the balcony. It was not unbearable but I had to close the tinted doors as it was that bright that I couldn't watch the TV and it was warming up. I have never tried the southern aspect but I would imagine it would be a fair bit hotter, hope that helps. :o

Edited by bmanly

Hi Pattaya46

I got condos there too and my biggest worry is not north or south. Its more "what’s next to the building".

Example is the north side of NorthShore. Fantastic views but next to the building are some tiny cheap houses on a rather large plot of land. So what if someone decides to build a high-rise on that plot of land? Then us north side owners would be pretty much screwed. So pay attention to "what could they build to block my view". This is Thailand and you can’t trust the land office cause building plans and permits can change from day to day in this country and even circumvent the laws.

Just my 2 bath.

If you're concerned about the coolness of the apartment there are at least a couple of other considerations.

Is the apartment on the top floor and therefore perhaps right under a roof that will bake during the day?

Is any wall of the apartment an exterior wall that gets the sun? Again, if so, it may absorb and transmit heat into the apartment.

From what I've been told, recently built apartments may avoid these two problems if they have good insulation.

I have also noticed that you will sometimes see satellite dishes on the south side of the building, but not on the north side. Often, satellites are geostationary, over the equater. It could be that you cannot receive a signal on the north side of the building. If this is important to you, check it out.