Snakes - How To Identify Them

JuniorExPat

Every so often a snake passes through the garden and I never know if they are good, bad or indifferent. My searches have turned up very little of use online - does anyone know of a site that will help me to identify these slithering visitors.

We have one that has been in residence for the last couple of days - small (about 40 inches), with black,round eyes, a body that is greyish brown in colour with bland darker markings but with golden brown/orange/yellow colouring on the underside of the jaw.

I'd be really interested to identify this one (on behalf of our children and dogs - I'm not scared of snakes! :o ) - but it would be good to know if there is anything on the web for ongoing reference.

Thanks in advance,

JxP

Try "A photographic guide to Snakes & other reptiles of Thailand & SE Asia", on sale at most book shops in CM. Have my copy always at hand for our numerous sightings. Great little book. The nasty ones are at the front.

A book? How quaint, how retro! :o

Thanks, I'll put that one on the shopping list, I'll bet your copy gets well used over where you are.

JxP

Try "A photographic guide to Snakes & other reptiles of Thailand & SE Asia", on sale at most book shops in CM. Have my copy always at hand for our numerous sightings. Great little book. The nasty ones are at the front.

A book? How quaint, how retro! :o

Thanks, I'll put that one on the shopping list, I'll bet your copy gets well used over where you are.

JxP

I meant to do a quick edit about it being an old fashioned book, not a website, but my TOTally useless connection failed yet again. So may be a book is a better option. Banded krait wrapped around your leg & you're waiting for an internet connection....

Also, I can't lug my very retro pc around the garden..... No sexy laptops & wifi out here yet.

A book? How quaint, how retro! :D

JxP

I meant to do a quick edit about it being an old fashioned book, not a website, but my TOTally useless connection failed yet again. So may be a book is a better option. Banded krait wrapped around your leg & you're waiting for an internet connection....

Also, I can't lug my very retro pc around the garden..... No sexy laptops & wifi out here yet.

:D Good riposte to Mr Ungrateful B@stard. :o

I've used that site as a reference on a number of occasions. I find the problem is that the snakes around these parts appear to change colour (if not markings) as they mature, so a young one may be a different colour.

PS: Can someone amend the forum software spell checker to spell "colour" correctly? :o

A book? How quaint, how retro! :D

JxP

:D Good riposte to Mr Ungrateful B@stard. :o

I thought that "Thanks" represented gratitude, silly me! :D

mobile69 and I are acquainted - I'm certain that no offence was taken. :D

jayenram: I too have used that site several times but you're right on the mark with the identification problem, brother-in-law has several times assured me of the name of a certain snake which bears little resemblance to the photo shown on that particular site. There must be some 'formula' involving general size, head shape, eye shape etc . . . I think I'll just keep avoiding the things!

JxP

I had a good experience with our snake. Quite a biggish – about 1m and half. Did not know what it was so called out Thai neighborhood. After a lots of searching in the Thai English dictionaries, and lots and lots of talking, they finally found the right name. They showed me the dictionaries and the proper English name, and this is it..……….. A SNAKE.

I had a good experience with our snake. Quite a biggish – about 1m and half. Did not know what it was so called out Thai neighborhood. After a lots of searching in the Thai English dictionaries, and lots and lots of talking, they finally found the right name. They showed me the dictionaries and the proper English name, and this is it..……….. A SNAKE.

Excellent! Thanks for the chuckle. :o

JxP

Ask a Thai if they are harmless or dangerous, they will tell you!

Good for you that they remain in the garden, I had a small tussle with a 5 foot long, black one in our house. We have dark wood floors and I did not see it on my way into the kitchen, ended up stepping on it.

Anyway it shot into the living room and parked itself under the settee. The wife was unimpressed as she was kipping on the floor at the time.

She swept it out the house with one of those big garden brushes. I asked her what type of snake it was and she mutterred something about "ngoo sing", tasty, can eat"

I did a search of the house and it most likely came in through the drain pipe into the toilet. Now have sealed it up with wire. However we live in a Thai style house with open kitchen area, fridge, washing machine, sink all outside. so if anything likes to come in it can. Its just one of those things about living here I guess.

Once you’ve identified the snake or other nasties and want further information on how dangerous they are I recommend this site run by The University of Adelaide and The Women’s and Children’s Hospital Adelaide. http://www.toxinology.com/fusebox.cfm?fuse...n.snakes.search

It’s a comprehensive site listing snakes, scorpions, marine life from around the globe. It also has photos where available.