Debit Card For Online Purchases: Is It Possible?

Hi all,

First of all, as this is my first post, I would like to say hi to the members here :o

I am hoping that one of you can answer my question...

I am a minor, and I am wondering if it is possible to get a debit card to make and recieve payments online - mostly via PayPal (the PayPal website says that debit cards "are accepted if they have a Visa or MasterCard logo"). One of my Thai friends said that I should get a debit card from KASIKORNBANK. Well, the obvious question is whether a 'farang', who is under 18 can get a debit card (I have a student visa)... But I would also like to know whether making online payments and recieving payments is possible with a debit card...

Thanks for any help! If you need more information to answer my question, you can ask me

:D

Short answer is: under-age = no possibility of creating your own bank account.

However, KasikornBank does indeed offer a service whereas a simple savings account can have a virtual online debit card, which works well with Paypal & such.

Just ask your parents to make an account for you...you can never use more money than is in the account, so there are no debt issues involved. And since the procedure for obtaining the virtual online card is made through the online banking, they never even have to know you need anything more than a savings account :o

Short answer is: under-age = no possibility of creating your own bank account.

However, KasikornBank does indeed offer a service whereas a simple savings account can have a virtual online debit card, which works well with Paypal & such.

Just ask your parents to make an account for you...you can never use more money than is in the account, so there are no debt issues involved. And since the procedure for obtaining the virtual online card is made through the online banking, they never even have to know you need anything more than a savings account :o

Thanks for your answer Florin. I guess the hard job is now to try and explain yo my parents why I need a savings account :D

coz you want to save for something - college trip - grannies 90th birthday - your marriage - safety in case your parents divorce - theres but a few (some not so nice too!)...

kasikorn is the best by far in thailand - and the web card gives you the ability to make online purchases with a virtual visa card - and with this you can verify a thai paypal account that is linked to your savings account.

If you dress well and have a reason to get a savings account an understanding person in a kbank may open an account for you...

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,

First of all, as this is my first post, I would like to say hi to the members here :o

I am hoping that one of you can answer my question...

I am a minor, and I am wondering if it is possible to get a debit card to make and recieve payments online - mostly via PayPal (the PayPal website says that debit cards "are accepted if they have a Visa or MasterCard logo"). One of my Thai friends said that I should get a debit card from KASIKORNBANK. Well, the obvious question is whether a 'farang', who is under 18 can get a debit card (I have a student visa)... But I would also like to know whether making online payments and recieving payments is possible with a debit card...

Thanks for any help! If you need more information to answer my question, you can ask me

:D

With a thai paypal account you can use a debit card issued from the US to transer money to and from your account. I am passing this info along to everyone since it is so hard for some to get bank accounts in Thailand that can acutally help them. I got mine about 3 months ago and I love it. I use it with paypal and to withdraw money. Contact me via PM or email. I will point you in the right direction just like someone once did for me.