Quite Easy To Live On 30,000 B A Month !

actiondell4

Jee whiz......what's the point of being in Thailand?

Well, I like rice, drink a little bit, don't smoke, and I am not interested in girls, but Thailand sure works for me just fine. Especially the rice part, its like winning the lottery of rice.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, very easy to live on 30,000 Baht per month in Thailand, but I wouldn't particularly want to in Pattaya.

As a matter of interest I actually kept records of what I spent in a recent 5 month stint in a village outside Khon Kaen using an excel spreadsheet.

Average monthly expenditure for day to day items........

Shopping & Food 6150

Beer 2550

Cigarettes 1350

Petrol for motorbike 1320

Electricity, Gas & Water 420

Allowance for my Lady 5000

Total 16790

I have no rent costs, but during this period spent about 60,000 on the house and bought some furniture and other items.

Drinking and eating at home, but plenty of spare cash for nights out even if only have 30,000 per month.

She has 2 children

My actual total spend over the 5 month period was 190,000

Well looking at that budget,im wondering how the old guy expat lives on his Aussie old age pension of 30,000 baht a month.

He has to pay 5000 baht a month rent.

electricity and water for a studio in Jomtien?

Says he has his own computer,how much a month for that?

then his food bill,says he buys a lot of fruit and eats at home?

Then he plays lawn bowls,goes for a coffee /cup of tea every day etc

Come to think of it,it must be bloody hard to live on it,especially if you are renting.

Mind you it must be even harder for a Aussie pensioner living in Australia too.

Does anyone live on this amount or less? how do you actually do it?

Obviously it would be far better to own the studio flat,regardless of the strata fees and maitenance,it still would be a lot less than paying 5k a month.!

Edited by actiondell4

If you have a family 30K is doable, but it's not the nicest life.

Forget about a good school for your child, you are stuck with a government school.

Forget about trips home, or anywhere else in the region.

Forget about many toys for your kids, or you.

And heaven forbid - if there is a medical emergency you are truly screwed.

Forget about 1 year visas.

Forget about buying more than a cheap second hand motorcycle for transport.

Forget about western food above toast for breakfast, or cheap Thai spaghetti made at home.

Forget about a savings account.

Forget about ever owning more property than a tiny apartment in a run down block.

There always seems to be the assumption, on this type of thread,that just because you live on less than 30,000 THB that this is all you can afford. Some people just don't need that much money. If you want to live like you're back in Europe or America it will cost you a bit more. If your needs are simpilar it costs a lot less.

30,000 THB per month! Well, I guess everyone could survive on that amount, but what life is that? I for sure want to have a car to be able to go whereever I want. To rent a place for 5,000 THB, well, what kind of place is that? For sure you want your own house or condo! And to spend most of your time looking for bargains! If some people can cope with that I'm just happy for them, but I couldn't do it.

I live in NorthEast where the cost of living is A LOT less than Pattaya. I spend easlily 45-50,000 THB per month. Image then if I lived in Pattaya....

The quality of life the chap referred to by the OP enjoys here in Los far surpasses what he would have living in Oz.

With studio apartments at about 7500 bht per WEEK or a single room 4-5000 bht per WEEK most pensioners renting have to decide between having a roof over their heads or eating half way decently.

If you had cooking facilities ,a butchers pensioner pack consists of a couple of sausages,a rasher of bacon ,a lamb loin chop and a wee piece of cheap steak,about what you would expect to get as a mixed grill in a cafe is priced at 600 bht.

I just came back from Oz after an urgent trip back for a heart operation and it was a real eye opener after 6 years away.

And yes, I am the same age , on the same pension as the OP,s example.

There always seems to be the assumption, on this type of thread,that just because you live on less than 30,000 THB that this is all you can afford. Some people just don't need that much money. If you want to live like you're back in Europe or America it will cost you a bit more. If your needs are simpilar it costs a lot less.

:o "Sufficency". Just because you have it no need to flaunt it. HM The King would be pleased!

To say the least... can be done, is being don, has been done...on even less than 30k...in Bangkok, yes. In the country, hel_l yes.

Kids who need top notch nannies and international schools...maybe not

Enough beer, good eatin, and bumpin and grindin, for someone who has lots of either charm or mojo left...hel_l yes

Preparing for major 'emergencies', consistent trips around the world, and other luxories...agreed, could be difficult,

However, last I checked, all my middle class friends and families in the west couldn't afford to necessarily jump on a plane around the world twice-thrice times a year, so it suggests to me people who can do that are usually more well off than middle class anyhow.

The question, 'for how long' is relevant. If one plans to do it for short term, no problem, could have the time of their life the while. If one wants to do it long term, specific planning would need to be done. i.e. instead of renting a studio, one would have to make installments on a house/condo, car, etc. to be able to ease the road.

I could continue to do it if I wanted, but I got to get back to school just so I can be an arrogant guy making at least twice as much a month now, and than telling the other ignorant guy making the same though has never lived a lesser standard, who asks 'how can you do it?' To shut his mouth.... :o

It all depends how you want to live.

This sums it up! Everyone is different.

................................................................................

Im from UK,retired on State pension and one private pension....so arround 50Kbaht/month.Retirement visa covered by Bank deposit and not touched.

I have a detached ,new rented 2 bed house in Chaing Mai and live with my 2 cats.

My fixed overheads ...rent...electric....Sat TV.....Sat Internet(expensive at 4800 bht) and site security come to just less than 20,000Bht a month

I live very well,do my own cooking...steaks,roast beef,when I want. Chang beer 2 cans a day and wine...admittedly the boxed ones.....I smoke...too much, but at 48bht for a pack so what.

I have motorbike for traveling localy.

I dont spend my pensions...each month some is left.

My life here is 100% better than if I was still in UK.where there is no way I could have the same standard of living.I would need double at least.

OK,if I gadded about in town it would be more expensive but for me...I dont want to. Everything I need and want I have here.I leave the prostitutes to those who want them...you can call them bargirls but its prostitutes as far as I am concerned...not for me.

If I had double my current income..I couldnt spend it....wouldnt need to.

If medical problems occur in the future I have money in UK bank which should cover reasonable expenses.

Im sure younger guys will call me a fuddy duddy and old fart.....water off a ducks back!

Each to his own.

Well looking at that budget,im wondering how the old guy expat lives on his Aussie old age pension of 30,000 baht a month.

He has to pay 5000 baht a month rent.

electricity and water for a studio in Jomtien?

Says he has his own computer,how much a month for that?

0 if bought outright

then his food bill,says he buys a lot of fruit and eats at home?

Then he plays lawn bowls,goes for a coffee /cup of tea every day etc

3000?

Come to think of it,it must be bloody hard to live on it,especially if you are renting.

Mind you it must be even harder for a Aussie pensioner living in Australia too.

Does anyone live on this amount or less? how do you actually do it?

Obviously it would be far better to own the studio flat,regardless of the strata fees and maitenance,it still would be a lot less than paying 5k a month.!

Bloody hard?

That totals under 15K. Money left there.

Its actually bloody easy.

Edited by Jingthing

The old guy i met lived on his Aussie age pension of 30,000 baht a month and some of you including me asked,well what kind of lifes that.

But thinking about the poster who came back from Oz,he s right when he said the food bill in Oz is more than double and the old guy is better off in Thailand.

The alternative in what he was living was a studio flat in a 1970 s government owned highrise compltete with the teenage gangs,druggies and people throwing not only themselves over the balconys but TV sets etc.

As he said to me,he paid 20 % of his $1080 govt pension pension into rent.

Then his food bill probaly about $60 per week,and his life was going to the senior citizens clubs etc and getting back before dark due to the high crime in his building and local area.

Its how you live your life that determines your needs and wants.

IU often feel sorry when i see some miserable old people walking around,they could be in Thailand.

I am here till I die ( hopefully) I have money outside and inside Thailand-According to the spreadsheet I did before I cam I can afford to live till I am 150.

So I felt comfortable moving here.

Have bought a nice house and a brand new pickup.

I drink Archa beer at home at 25 baht a bottle ( and it is a good beer)

I always eat out but actually prefer the twenty baht Thai food and feel healthier than I ever did in the UK.

My days are spent gardening and and playing with concrete , brick etc.

I srtruggle to spend 300 baht a day-remember car and home paid for.

Maybe in a few years renewal costs will kick in- i could afford to live expensively but prefer to live luxuriously as a Thai in Thailand

The main variable for quality of life or an older person is medical care. How healthy are they and how much does their care cost? If they are coming from a country where this is covered (most western countries) that could certainly tip the balance against the economic viability of living in Thailand. Other than that, there is no contest. most lower wealth retirees are much better off here than at home economically.

The problem for foreigners comes into play when you want or find you need more than ____ and discover that there aren't too many avenues for foreigners to increase their income here. Then you start to get cranky, start posting to TV trying stop others from moving here because you think they're causing inflation, silly stuff like that.

The major flaw in the "Thais can do it... why can't we?" argument is that locals don't have a list of X00 occupations that they aren't allowed to make a living from and they don't have to leave the country every 30-90 days either.

But yes, doable... maybe give yourself a little margin just in case, allow yourself a plan B back home (in terms of a home to rent out or investments that you don't throw into the mix) and of course don't have personal issues with keeping up with the Jones'es or worse yet the Wattanajonesaks (because that'll really bug you if you have issue with that kind of thing), and you'll be fine.

:o

I totally agree, especially if you own a condo and don't run a car, 30K is good living.

And don't need to do visa runs, go home for holidays, have insurance, pay for healthcare or a childs education.

I could live in a squat in the UK, take the bus everywhere and eat baked beans on toast everyday for that money, but it's hardly a good life.

I mean seriously, living in A ROOM - Is not 'good living'.

EDIT - Sorry, missed the owning a Condo bit, in which case its a bit easier.

Edited by solo siam

I totally agree, especially if you own a condo and don't run a car, 30K is good living.

And don't need to do visa runs, go home for holidays, have insurance, pay for healthcare or a childs education.

I could live in a squat in the UK, take the bus everywhere and eat baked beans on toast everyday for that money, but it's hardly a good life.

I mean seriously, living in A ROOM - Is not 'good living'.

People on retirement extensions do not do visa runs. The cost is 1900 baht per year. Most people in the world reach their retirement age not wealthy, whether you like it or not, or think such people should just shoot themselves. Living in Thailand for the not wealthy is more about bang for the buck. For that same 30K, again if healthy, you can buy a much higher standard of living than in the west. I haven't had baked beans for years, but I do eat Mexican refried beans when I make Mexican food served with Australian avocado , delicious.

I also disagree about the bus thing. If you live in an urban area and have good public transport and don't need a car, not having to run a car is actually a total pleasure.

Edited by Jingthing

Never forget the "what if factor too"

Two cases of oldish ex-pats requiring emergency hospital treatment in our town., 650k and 800k baht costs.

BUPA paid up fairly promptly in both cases.

The latter case chap had the dengue and was in hospital for over 3 weeks, not much chance of him going home for free treatment.

My question is, how do you qualify for a retirement visa on $1080 a month, Australian, US or otherwise?

If you don't have the income, you must have the cash to justify a long term visa, right? If that's the case, then living on 30,000 baht is just an exercise in frugality rather than necessity.

My question is, how do you qualify for a retirement visa on $1080 a month, Australian, US or otherwise?

If you don't have the income, you must have the cash to justify a long term visa, right? If that's the case, then living on 30,000 baht is just an exercise in frugality rather than necessity.

No, you only have to show 800K in the bank, you do not have to spend it. I don't need to spend nearly 800K a year largely because I own my place. There is such a thing as being frugal for a rainy day.

Edited by Jingthing

No, you only have to show 800K in the bank, you do not have to spend it. I don't need to spend nearly 800K a year largely because I own my place. There is such a thing as being frugal for a rainy day.

Sure, if that's all you have, then by all means, living on 30,000 baht a month, or less is a necessity. However, if you make more and have significantly more, then maybe it is more a matter of being frugal. Remember, you can't take it with you!

I'm a 46yo Australian. I've been living in Thailand (near Pattaya) now for about 2 years. In OZ, I was making the equivalent of 150k Baht per month & had a shit life.

I know those exact slums where the OP's elderly friend lived (Redfern). How he describes them is exactly correct.

My best mate is an old retired fella (77), who lives in a very nice Housing Commision flat in Sydneys South (Jannali). His only income is the Old Age Pension. He has a small car, a bad heart but he lives well for his means...he has to watch every penny & saves for months to afford a trip somewhere inside Australia (weekend at Canberra).

I'm a teacher here in Thailand. My monthly income has just been increased from 25 000 to 26 000 :o .

My 1 room apartment (studio?) is about 50 square metres, air conditioned (I don't use it cos I don't like a/c) & fully furnished (not my furniture). The cost for this is 5 000 B per month plus water & elec, so on average, about 5 600 per month. My employer is across the road so I don't need transport. I drink Archa a couple of times a week & I smoke. If I'm in the mood, I "go out" once a month for some fun. Annual health insurance is about 30 000 Baht.

Recently, I had a problem whereby a previous condition (Pilonidal Sinus) decided to get seriously infected after being operated on 18 years ago. Having reasonably good basic medical knowledge, I was able to treat myself effectively & much cheaper than in Australia, although my condition was quite serious. This little incident kept me off work for 3 weeks. If I don't work, I don't get paid. Unfortunately, the medical insurance in Thailand does not cover pre-existing conditions, so if I want the problem fixed, it's back I go to OZ.

Nonetheless, I am more than happy with my life here & would NEVER return to that slave haven called Australia (or is it Amstralia/Ausmerica?).

My current lifestyle makes full use of the old saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Edited by elkangorito

A point to consider is that the type A heart attack-having Richy Rich crowd that thinks you need 10 million dollars banked to retire in Thailand or anywhere, are absolutely bothered down to their core that people who have MUCH less are living wonderful, joyful, abundant lives. It messes with their whole view of the world and how things should be and how everybody should suffer. They can only deal with this if they imagine all these guys cowering in dark hot rooms eating dog food. They are much more likely to be eating the dog food if "living" in the west; here they can have a wonderful tom yum kung instead for a pittance.

You don't need all those luxuries everyday. In fact its bad for you and bad for the earth.

Edited by Jingthing

I wonder where the "I couldn't possibly live on less than 300,000 Bt per month" brigade are?

These threads are usually like blood to sharks, for them.

Where's the guy who said he makes 500,000 bht per mo & says he has to make a tight budget, because some months he might run short?

Just need to correct something...see below.

I'm a 46yo Australian. I've been living in Thailand (near Pattaya) now for about 2 years. In OZ, I was making the equivalent of 120k Baht per month & had a shit life.
Edited by elkangorito

I'm with you Jingthing. I am also young and take home about 60+k a month. Doesn't mean I have to spend it all. I have been in Thailand for 5 yers now. And with staying in a 6k month condo( two bedroom, batroom, kitchen, Aircon, car parking, 24 watchmen that works, 75m2) outside the city centre. I have now saved enough for a new pickup and new house. So rainy day funds are great. I also live 10 times better then in Canada, for the same money. I do what I want and make smart purchases.

Life is what you make it! I will not tell you how to spend as it's your money, but I can live easiler for under 30k a month.

I also have a wife and 4 month old to look after.