Gun Club

fanciman

What is the going rate at the gun club (is there only 1?) in Chiang Mai?

Where is it?

For example, what is the cost of using an AK-47 and the ammunition?

What sort of firearms do they have available there?

Any tips?

Thank you for your help!

what is the cost of using an AK-47 and the ammunition?

If its cockroaches that are your problem then is a thread ongoing that may help although sometimes two warning shots between the eyes of the little buggers can have more effect.

I haven't gone to the shooting range in many years, but if I remember correctly, they used to fix AK 47s and M16s to fire 22 caliber amunition. Not sure if that has changed.

If that's all the gun club has it's not worth the trip. I don't know about the AK 47, but the M16 doesn't shoot 22's very well. No surprise there, it isn't designed for such small cartridges.

That is how I felt too, but it was quite some time ago. Perhaps things have changed?

When I went, the handgun cartridges were the proper size and I am a lot better with an M16, than a 45 or 9mm, so it wasn't a completely wasted trip.

when do you get posted to Iraq UG?

I haven't gone to the shooting range in many years, but if I remember correctly, they used to fix AK 47s and M16s to fire 22 caliber amunition. Not sure if that has changed.

If that's all the gun club has it's not worth the trip. I don't know about the AK 47, but the M16 doesn't shoot 22's very well. No surprise there, it isn't designed for such small cartridges.

wrong!

AK47 = 7.62mm (NATO standard calibre), M16 = .22 = 5.556mm (hardly any other weapon which fires that calibre).

should read "long" weapon which fires that calibre :o

Edited by Dr. Naam

Actually the AK 47 round is designated 7.62 X 39, and is completely different from the old NATO round, which was 7.62 X 51. They are not interchangeable.

NATO forces started using the 5.56 X 45 NATO round in their infantry rifles in the 1970's. Only SAW (squad automatic weapons) such as the FN M240, the old M60, etc. were still chambered in 7.62 X 51 at that time.

Perhaps the weapons available at the local range have been "sleeved down" to accept 22 rimfire ammunition. This is a common range practice, as letting people without proper training and experience shoot high-powered rifles, can be unsafe, as well as an exercise in futility (untrained shooters will not be able to hit a target at all).

UG was in the US Marine Corp, and I am sure would be more than capable of handling either weapon competently..... :o

AK47 = 7.62mm (NATO standard calibre), M16 = .22 = 5.556mm (hardly any other weapon which fires that calibre).

As Macca has already pointed out The "old" NATO 7.62mm could not be chambered in an AK-47 and vice versa. Althought the calibre is the same the cartridge case is a completely different configuration, as it the projectile weight, and charge. The current NATO calibre is .223 or 5.56mm and is used in the M16-A1 and it successors, such as the XM-1177E which was the carbine version. The 5.56mm round was also used in the M61 and the Italian M70 along with many others.

Colt introduced a commercial version of the M-16 with no "forward bolt assist" and only selective semi automatic fire, designated AR-15 with serial numbers preceeded by "SP" (special purpose) Colt also introduced a .22 version of the AR-15 for the American market.

In Vietnam, U.S. Special Forces carried a weapon that was pretty much a smaller version of the original M16 rifle. I have heard it referred to as the Armalite and the AR-15, but I think that it was fully automatic.

Anyone know anything about it?

ArmaLite was the name of the company that originally manufactured the AR-15 and was a division of the Fairchild Corp. founded in the early 50's. Their claim to fame was the introduction of the AR-5 and the AR-7 survival rifle. Chambered in .22 Hornet it was adopted by the military in the mid 50's. All the components "broke" down and were stored in the butt stock. The "collapsed" rifle also floated (mine didn't!!) The AR-7 was the commercial version chambered in .22 long rifle.

Their next innovation was the AR-10 in 7.62 NATO and was submitted to the military for testing. It looked like an oversized M-16 and had a fibre glass composite stock and butt. Produced in an ugly brown colour, it was initially produced in two versions. A standard automatic rifle with a twenty round box magazine, and a snipers version, with a built in bipod and grenade launcher. The army decided against it, and it was dropped from production.

Their next devolopment was the famed AR-15 which was a success, and this was initally licenced to Colt firearms, and then sold completely to Colt. The military adopted this, and named it the M-16A1.

The carbine version had a collapsable stock and a round shortened forestock.

The rest as they say is history :o

M16 = .22 = 5.556mm (hardly any other weapon which fires that calibre).

Slight correction. The US M16/AR15 uses .223 caliber while the NATO version uses the 5.56mm version. The NATA version having much higher pressure loads (about 20%). I suppose that could have changed since I was in the military (the US version).

Thanks!

It sounds like this must be the rifle that I heard about from the Special Forces guys.

I have three of them, but unfortunately I don't have the photos to hand. I did however, find one of the experimental AR-10 that I mentioned before, it's pictured on the right, and was maunfactured by Fokker under licence to Fairchild. The optics cost more than the rifle!! Center is a standard M-16 except it has a 30 round magazine instead of the issue 20 round. On the left is one of my favourites....A British Navy issue FN-FAL complete with sniper scope.....MM

guns.jpg

Three look-a-likes!

Thanks for the picture of the AR 10. I have wanted to see what it looked like.

You know already that it certainly isn't the one that Special Forces was using in Vietnam as it is bigger than an M16 and also uses a larger cartridge.

Do you by any chance know if the stock on the AR 10 is wood or plastic?

Do you by any chance know if the stock on the AR 10 is wood or plastic?

Of the two that I owned one was as pictured with a brown painted fibre glass laminated stock. The other was a plain fibre glass moulding with no surface painting, and showing the fibre glass through a clear finish....You won't see many of them, as only 50 were ever produced.